Chinese Food Watch

President_Ben
Badges: 13
Report 10 years ago
Hakkasan is great food. Just because it isn't classic food doesn't mean it isn't good.

If you can't afford it, that's another issue altogether.

Singapore noodles is a name. Nothing to do with coming from Singapore...

Curry type dishes have been around. But they aren't the thickened curries. Malay curries are classic.

Prawn toast. Not classic, but still a fine snack.

Chinese food hasn't been the same for all 5000 years and I don't think it should be the same in the next 5000 either.
President_Ben
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by wawrwinka)
Also not that many chinese people other than staff...maybe that means it not the most authentic?
Can be authentic... just means it isn't that good/value for money.

But chinese people are very fussy...
kimgan
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by President_Ben)
Hakkasan is great food. Just because it isn't classic food doesn't mean it isn't good.

If you can't afford it, that's another issue altogether.

Singapore noodles is a name. Nothing to do with coming from Singapore...

Curry type dishes have been around. But they aren't the thickened curries. Malay curries are classic.

Prawn toast. Not classic, but still a fine snack.

Chinese food hasn't been the same for all 5000 years and I don't think it should be the same in the next 5000 either.
i'm not saying flat out Hakka-san's not good. it's just that it's on the pricier side for Chinese food & in terms of the concept, it's also more modern/trendy. not a typical traditional Chinese restaurant kind of place. tho in general, price wise, it's always a joke with us Malaysians not to convert the prices on the menus when we're in London...else we'll never eat anything, given how weak the Ringgit is compared to the British Pound Sterling. :no:

curry to me, is still not a Chinese dish in a traditional sense, as far as the Chinese in me is wired to think. unless you're talking about Peranakan or even Eurasian food found in Malaysia or Singapore since it's a fusion of Malay and Chinese/European cuisines (i don't think these cuisines are common in UK though).
President_Ben
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by kimgan)
curry to me, is still not a Chinese dish in a traditional sense, as far as the Chinese in me is wired to think. unless you're talking about Peranakan or even Eurasian food found in Malaysia or Singapore since it's a fusion of Malay and Chinese/European cuisines (i don't think these cuisines are common in UK though).
Peranakan is Chinese style cooking with ingredients found in the Malay area. I'd argue that still makes it Chinese food - just that it isn't in the classic set of traditional Chinese food.

Pineapple isn't local to Italy. But a pizza with pineapple is still going to fall under Italian food... even if it is far away from classic and traditional...
gemmasays
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
I agree that in Chinatowns you will find very good Chinese meals, but unfortunately there isn't a chinatown area in every area accross the uk, what I meant was more your local resturant/take away not providing more authentic dishes. Maybe I should have made that more clear.
President_Ben
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by gemmasays)
I agree that in Chinatowns you will find very good Chinese meals, but unfortunately there isn't a chinatown area in every area accross the uk, what I meant was more your local resturant/take away not providing more authentic dishes. Maybe I should have made that more clear.
What you can do is just ask them... order off menu. Work out a price between you etc.

Most places are reasonably happy to oblige I should think. Best to speak to them in person though.
blahbloo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Crab Claws, yum yum.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (561)
37.68%
No - but I will (116)
7.79%
No - I don't want to (106)
7.12%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (706)
47.41%

Watched Threads