Your favourite quote(s) (or one that motivates you) Watch

Reflexive
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Off topic but I love Brent's 'avoid employing unlucky people - throw half the pile of CVs in the bin without reading them.'
Teofilo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Film quote: "I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me." - the departed

To live by

"You can never cross the ocean if you don't have the courage to lose sight of the shore."
strawberrysunshine
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
'No! Tell me like you'd die for me! Like nothing else matters, like your world stops turning because of me! Like you mean it, you little ****! Go on.'
nempozpag
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Teofilo)
Film quote: "I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me." - the departed
That's a bit fascist

Didn't Hitler and Mussolini (and for that matter, most dictators) say something similar?
drbunhead
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Love the life u live and live the life u love
Malsy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
check sig
mustardgibson
Report 10 years ago
There is none so enslaved as he who falsely believes he is free - Goethe
trance addict
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
"failure is your destiny"
Sprout_hair
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by drbunhead)
Love the life u live and live the life u love
Chicago?
~Ally~
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
'Koti ei ole koti ilman Sauna'
'A House is not a home without a Sauna'
I want a house with a Sauna, dammit! Therefore Degree=Better paid Job= House on a lake, with a sauna or two. And Vodka.

Oh and also, from one of the Shannara books (can't remember which one, the one with the two brothers)
'i wish there were elves again, and i wish there were heroes, even one'
~Ally~
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by strawberrysunshine)
'Easy? Honey, they don't call it a job for nothin'. - Sex and the City, Samantha
Well, that's my Rep tommorrow. Damn right sister.
Teofilo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by nempozpag)
That's a bit fascist

Didn't Hitler and Mussolini (and for that matter, most dictators) say something similar?
It's certainly got an authoritarian nature about it, though how that qualifies it as being fascist is beyond me to be honest.

It wouldn't be out of place coming out of most dictators, but then again it wasn't out of place coming out of Jack Nicholson's mouth either!
danny_se
Report 10 years ago
Why be afraid of death - if you have never truly lived?
Oddjob39A
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
'Make the most of life; for you're a long time dead' - Scottish Proverb

or

'**** Happens; deal with it' - anon

or

'I never think of the future - it comes soon enough' - Albert Einstein

or

'The man of wisdom is never of two minds;the man of benevolence never worries; the man of courage is never afraid' - Confucius

Pretty much any meaningful utterance from the Stoic school of hellenistic philosophy is also worth its weight in gold.
Prudy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
"If there is any principle of the Constitution that more imperatively calls for attachment than any other it is the principle of free thought, not free thought for those who agree with us but freedom for the thought that we hate." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Prudy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Also, although less of a quote and more of a poem, it's still nice:

When the Nazis came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,
I did not speak out;
I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for the Jews,
I remained silent;
I wasn't a Jew.

When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out.

Pastor Martin Niemöller
Oddjob39A
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Prudy)
Also, although less of a quote and more of a poem, it's still nice:

When the Nazis came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,
I did not speak out;
I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for the Jews,
I remained silent;
I wasn't a Jew.

When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out.

Pastor Martin Niemöller
Now forgive me, I don't mean to tarnish the sentiment of this quite pithy and apt poem by any means, but I always saw this poem as an indicator of Niemoller's homosexuality..........you follow my logic? :p:
Prudy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Oddjob39A)
Now forgive me, I don't mean to tarnish the sentiment of this quite pithy and apt poem by any means, but I always saw this poem as an indicator of Niemoller's homosexuality..........you follow my logic? :p:
Possibly, I however thought his putting his willy in mens sitting places more of an indication.
nempozpag
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Teofilo)
It's certainly got an authoritarian nature about it, though how that qualifies it as being fascist is beyond me to be honest.
I stand corrected.

It wouldn't be out of place coming out of most dictators, but then again it wasn't out of place coming out of Jack Nicholson's mouth either!
Lol i guess not.
Jean-Paul Sartre
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Dr. House: Because…Because it doesn't hurt here. I'm not…I don't want to be in pain. I don't want to be miserable. [pause] And I don't want him to hate me.
Amber: Well, you can't always get what you want.
If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him. - Voltaire I am lovely in a fluffy, moist kind of a way; indeed, how could I be otherwise? I walk, let's be splendid about this, in a lightly scented cloud of gorgeousness that is quite partial to being quite simply terrific. The secret of smooth, almost shiny loveliness, the order of which we are discussing in this simple, frank, creamy-soft way, doesn't reside in oils, unguents, balms, ointments, creams, astringents, milks, moisturisers, liniments, lubrications, embrocations or balsalms. To be divine for one noble moment, it resides, and I mean this in a pink, slightly special way, in one's attitude of mind. To be gorgeous and high and true and fine and fluffy and moist and sticky and lovely all one has to do is believe one is gorgeous and high and true and fine and fluffy and moist and sticky and lovely, and I believe it of myself, tremulously at first, and then with mounting heat and passion because, stopping off to be super again, I am so often told it. And that's the secret, really.
Stephen Fry
Enter key broke on my laptop so please excuse the formatting...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (441)
37.89%
No - but I will (88)
7.56%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.87%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (555)
47.68%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise