Turn on thread page Beta

Sticking things on walls in student halls watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fabregas1989)
    I've got them in my bedroom; they leave marks, but you can get rid of them easily. Use spray-on Flash and a wet flannel or something like that. Works every time but you MUST use the wet flannel or it bleaches your walls!!!!!

Ditto for the blu-tac
    Where do you buy those stick on hook things? I looked today in Tesco and couldn't find 'em.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JocastaJackal)
    Where do you buy those stick on hook things? I looked today in Tesco and couldn't find 'em.
    Wilkinsons, IKEA, Woolworths, Hobbycraft, ASDA perhaps. Those are where I'd imagine they'd sell them.

I got mine from Woolworths ages ago, so I'm not sure if they still sell em. I need some more though (they wear out of adhesion after a year or so) so if anyone can let us know, much obliged.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fabregas1989)
    Wilkinsons, IKEA, Woolworths, Hobbycraft, ASDA perhaps. Those are where I'd imagine they'd sell them.

I got mine from Woolworths ages ago, so I'm not sure if they still sell em. I need some more though (they wear out of adhesion after a year or so) so if anyone can let us know, much obliged.
    I'll look there instead then, thank youu.

ReputationRep:
    Usually when you move in you will be given an inspection form. I can't stress enough to you how much you should put anything down you can think of - holes in the wall, stains on the floor, blu-tac marks etc. It's worth doing as most student places will try and rip you off at any given opportunity.

A mate of mine re-painted the whole of her room herself before she left to save getting a £60 charge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fraggle_rock)
    Usually when you move in you will be given an inspection form. I can't stress enough to you how much you should put anything down you can think of - holes in the wall, stains on the floor, blu-tac marks etc. It's worth doing as most student places will try and rip you off at any given opportunity.

A mate of mine re-painted the whole of her room herself before she left to save getting a £60 charge.
    GOOD QUALITY PHOTOS!
    seriously so important, they might have saved us our £3000 deposit on our house last year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JocastaJackal)
    I assume you mean Command. You can get them in DIY shops like B&Q, Homebase, possibly bigger Asda and Tesco branches, and places like Woolies.
    They iz good, innit.

ReputationRep:
    the lomography website sells clips that you join together loads of photos with... you can make like lampshades out of them

ReputationRep:
    Invest in a small pot of paint the same colour as your walls - they'll never know - and small pots are certainly cheaper than your deposit. You do have to be really careful to get the exact same colour though.

ReputationRep:
    The best thing is to buy sugar soap wipes. Can get them in most household shops and probably super markets. It got nearly all my marks off last year. Just don't scrub too hard with it otherwise it can fade the paint.

ReputationRep:
    You can clean the blu tac stains off the wall with a citrus based stain remover, or sounds simple but a mate of mine used a new flexible rubber on it and said his walls looked good as new

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nateface)
    hey everyone

i know that most halls ask for a 'deposit' which is usually given back to you at the end of the year to cover things like damages etc.
    ive also heard that when they inspect your room at the end of the year they take into account marks that have been left from sticking things to walls:eek: .

i personally have bought a clock, some posters etc etc, do any of you know how to get around this?...because i reeeealy cannot live in a room with blank walls....any tricks or cunning ideas? lol
    Have you looked into washi tape, it's strong and you can use it to hang pictures or clicks and there are different types
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

University open days

• University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.