The Big French Book Discussion- everyone welcome Watch

upturnedpalms
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by wes)
I read it in a day a few weeks ago. It didn't really leave much of an impression on me (I had to pick up the book to check it really was that one I read)...

I'd say there are better ones really. Duras' Moderato cantabile isn't too hard going, and it's not very long, either.
Okay, will keep that in mind, thank you!
lilangel890
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Where do people get these books from offline? Cheers, the first one sounds cute
lavalse
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
you can get french books offline by going to a foreign language bookshop, there are a couple of really good french bookshops in south kensington, London and also a french library you can join and then borrow books from for free. there's also Grant and Cutler near Oxford circus, London which has a well stocked french book sections (and many other languages)

hope that helps
Gooner
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by lilangel890)
Where do people get these books from offline? Cheers, the first one sounds cute
You can probably find them in Blackwells
jonnythemoose
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by lavalse)
you can get french books offline by going to a foreign language bookshop, there are a couple of really good french bookshops in south kensington, London and also a french library you can join and then borrow books from for free. there's also Grant and Cutler near Oxford circus, London which has a well stocked french book sections (and many other languages)

hope that helps
Hehe.

None of these = found in Lincoln :p:

The only place offline I'd know about is my local library, which has a foreign languages section, but most of those books seem a little heavy-going...
lavalse
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jonnythemoose)
Hehe.

None of these = found in Lincoln :p:

The only place offline I'd know about is my local library, which has a foreign languages section, but most of those books seem a little heavy-going...
ah yes i generally find local libraries foreign language sections to be terrible, at least in my experience.....

is there a reason you dont want to get them online? you can normally get books cheaply from amazons used section
jonnythemoose
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
ah yes i generally find local libraries foreign language sections to be terrible, at least in my experience.....

is there a reason you dont want to get them online? you can normally get books cheaply from amazons used section
It wasn't me that asked about offline places, it was someone else. :p:

I've actually just bought a couple off Amazon, which should be in the post as we speak :yep:
clozet
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
what a groooovy thread

im just starting to really get into reading french lit/eng lit translated into french (eg Harry Potter:p: doesnt really count haha)

im really cross tho, i cant get books off amazon.fr cos i have a solo bank card and the french don't like them :p: are there any other online european bookstores? i live in dorset so londons not really feasible (pricey, and a pain dans le derriere:p:) and it goes without saying that the libraries are shocking.
Fillette
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by clozet)
what a groooovy thread

im just starting to really get into reading french lit/eng lit translated into french (eg Harry Potter:p: doesnt really count haha)

im really cross tho, i cant get books off amazon.fr cos i have a solo bank card and the french don't like them :p: are there any other online european bookstores? i live in dorset so londons not really feasible (pricey, and a pain dans le derriere:p:) and it goes without saying that the libraries are shocking.

Hi! Glad you like the thread Well, that's a pity about the book situation, however you might want to look on ebay- I know they've got a few titles on there. I don't think Dorchester's got that much in the way of foreign books but you could go to your local bookstore and ask them to order the titles. If you felt like a trip up to one of the larger cities like Bristol, they might have them there in the bookshops (and you could look at the university, which also might have it's own bookshop!).

I don't know what level you're looking at, but if you're interested in the beginner's/intermediate section, most of the titles are from the publisher cascade and you could email them and ask about ordering their titles! Good luck anyway
Fillette
Rep:
?

hope that helps

To Londoners/ those can reach London OK- very true ^^ and also Foyles bookstore on Charing Cross Road has a brilliant foreign languages section :love:
clozet
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Fillette)
Hi! Glad you like the thread Well, that's a pity about the book situation, however you might want to look on ebay- I know they've got a few titles on there. I don't think Dorchester's got that much in the way of foreign books but you could go to your local bookstore and ask them to order the titles. If you felt like a trip up to one of the larger cities like Bristol, they might have them there in the bookshops (and you could look at the university, which also might have it's own bookshop!).

I don't know what level you're looking at, but if you're interested in the beginner's/intermediate section, most of the titles are from the publisher cascade and you could email them and ask about ordering their titles! Good luck anyway
hi thank you, i will look into all those things i'd say im more intermediate/advanced section (i'm pretty ambitious, but i'll probs start with intermediate.) i got an A @ AS and am starting A2.
how did you know i live nearish dorchester?? im sure i only said dorset...:confused:
Fillette
Rep:
?
hi thank you, i will look into all those things i'd say im more intermediate/advanced section (i'm pretty ambitious, but i'll probs start with intermediate.) i got an A @ AS and am starting A2.
how did you know i live nearish dorchester?? im sure i only said dorset...:confused:

OK, that's good- hope you have some luck with that Oh, I had no idea you live near Dorchester (obviously!) - it's just my grandmother lives in Dorset and I know the largest town there is Dorchester, and I was merely illustrating the point that even though it's biggish, there still aren't many foreign language book shops there! Sorry if that came across as strange :o:
lilangel890
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
and also a french library you can join and then borrow books
hope that helps
Thanks for all that One question about the library, is this kensignton as well. Would I be able to take the books back to any london borough library (like normal books) or is it independant?

Cheers
Fillette
Rep:
?
Thanks for all that One question about the library, is this kensignton as well. Would I be able to take the books back to any london borough library (like normal books) or is it independant?

Cheers

The Institut Français is independent and you can't return books to other libraries, I'm afraid. If you sign up there (you pay a fee) you can withdraw anything from there: books/DVDs/VHS/CDs for one year. It's really good resource, I very much recommend it- and not only because I used to work there for 2 years!
lavalse
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The Institut Français is independent and you can't return books to other libraries, I'm afraid. If you sign up there (you pay a fee) you can withdraw anything from there: books/DVDs/VHS/CDs for one year. It's really good resource, I very much recommend it- and not only because I used to work there for 2 years!
omg you used to work there!!!!! i probably saw you at some point because i went all the time. ah small world! and theres that really good 'librairie la page' down the road that sells all the clairefontaine stuff! im going there tomorrow. oh and the boulangerie 'la bagatelle' - yummmyyyyyyyyyy
clozet
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
OK, that's good- hope you have some luck with that Oh, I had no idea you live near Dorchester (obviously!) - it's just my grandmother lives in Dorset and I know the largest town there is Dorchester, and I was merely illustrating the point that even though it's biggish, there still aren't many foreign language book shops there! Sorry if that came across as strange :o:
its all good i was just a bit like WTF are you psychic??!
altho the largest town isnt dorch...probs more like bournemouth/poole/sherbourne? even weymouth's bigger than dorch :p: but even those places would never ever ever in a million years stock anything remotely like french lit im going to have to have a jolly up to bristol methinks :p:
Fillette
Rep:
?
its all good i was just a bit like WTF are you psychic??!
altho the largest town isnt dorch...probs more like bournemouth/poole/sherbourne? even weymouth's bigger than dorch :p: but even those places would never ever ever in a million years stock anything remotely like french lit im going to have to have a jolly up to bristol methinks :p:

:eek: I never actually knew Poole/Bournemouth was in dorset !! But good luck in Bristol ! *stops spamming thread now*
lilangel890
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ok thanks, pretty cheap as well

How long do they lend you the books for and is there an online/over telephone renewal thing because I don't want to be travelling to west london from the very east!

Cheers for the info
Fillette
Rep:
?
Ok thanks, pretty cheap as well

How long do they lend you the books for and is there an online/over telephone renewal thing because I don't want to be travelling to west london from the very east!

Cheers for the info
It's usually about a month I think (but I haven't worked there for 2 years, so it's hard to remember) and yes you can renew by phone
lavalse
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
yes its a month and you can also renew by email! yay! and you can check online how much many books you've taken out and when they're due back and also to search their database of books to see what they have, then you can reserve what you like
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 7 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (52)
29.89%
No - I got the required grades (100)
57.47%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (22)
12.64%

Watched Threads