What do you think of this article on fat people Watch

ch0c0h01ic
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by SpiritedAway)
but skinny people can have some of the risks that fat people have e.g. high cholesterol, type 2 diabetes. also, then you should be moaning that skinny people are a drain on the NHS, with their chances of heartattacks, annarexia etc.
...but statistically speaking these complications are less expensive and easier to correct. Giving someone some advice on how to maintain a low cholesterol level, or some diabetogenic drugs, is much much cheaper than giving someone heart surgery because their weight and diet has caused significant heart disease. Or joint replacements because of the stress the body is put under when obese/overweight.

On average slimmer/leaner people are far healthier than their fatter counterparts and far cheaper to provide healthcare for, FACT.

It just seems to be more and more excuses.

Yes, we know being morbidly thin is unhealthy, but so is being morbidly obese, it is about finding a healthy medium, as with everything. You could drink too much water an die, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't drink water at all, it is about finding, and following the healthiest level. Moderation goes a long way.
sigstuff
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm curious:
Anorexia is where people don't eat because they think they're too fat, but has any one heard of anyone eating loads because they think they are too thin and does this disorder have a name?
JoMo1
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
...Again, it is not difficult to eat healthily on a budget. 1kg of porridge is about 50p, that is enough breakfast for a couple of weeks and is healthier than most cereals you're likely to come across. Rice, pasta, again, extremely cheap, throw in some beans, or tuna, etc for cheap protein, some tinned or frozen veg, some herbs and you've got yourself a very cheap, but very healthy meal.
Yes, very healthy, but absolutely bloody awful for losing weight, rice and pasta are awful for losing weight(no satiety, calorie dense). To lose weight most effectively you need to be eating Fresh fruit and veg and protein, which are all expensive.

I know the standard of education has declined under Labour, but it really isn't that difficult to put some rice or pasta on for the boil and swish around some tuna, veg and herbs in a pan.
But this gets extremely dull, extremely fast, and a lot of people still don't know how to do it, and once again, not good for weight loss. Through cooking kids can learn what goes into the food, and how everything actually works. It allows them to take control of their diet more effectively and understand what they're eating.

Actually they can and some do, it's called going to the doctor, or someone equally knowledgeable. The advice and help is there if they seek it out. Plus it does not stop them wandering into a library, or bookshop, or using the internet to access a huge source of excellent advice.
Yes it is there, but I'm not saying these kids can't do it alone, and I'm saying we should be helping them as much as we can. How many young kids are going to go to the doctor to ask for help, or know what to trust on the internet? Most parents of fat kids also don't think it's a problem. I ws a very fat kid, and I have wonderful parents, but my mum is still convinced that it was puppy fat, and would never have taken me to the doctor's to get help. The help needs to be in the schools, where the kids are. Kids can also go to all those places to get information about Sex, STIs etc. but that doesn't mean we shouldn't have sex education in schools The only reason I'm not a, most likely obese, slob now is that I had insane rugby coaches yelling at me to run my butt off. Overweight kids need some kind of attention to help them lose weight, it's hard enough for them even with the help, why make it harder?
SpiritedAway
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
...but statistically speaking these complications are less expensive and easier to correct. Giving someone some advice on how to maintain a low cholesterol level, or some diabetogenic drugs, is much much cheaper than giving someone heart surgery because their weight and diet has caused significant heart disease. Or joint replacements because of the stress the body is put under when obese/overweight.

On average slimmer/leaner people are far healthier than their fatter counterparts and far cheaper to provide healthcare for, FACT.

It just seems to be more and more excuses.

Yes, we know being morbidly thin is unhealthy, but so is being morbidly obese, it is about finding a healthy medium, as with everything. You could drink too much water an die, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't drink water at all, it is about finding, and following the healthiest level. Moderation goes a long way.
link?
AnnyRoquentin
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It really is just a bunch of excuses after another. Just eat a salad and do some exercise for the love of god. It's worked for everyone I know who's lost a substantial amount of weight.
MittenKrust
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by AnnyRoquentin)
It really is just a bunch of excuses after another. Just eat a salad and do some exercise for the love of god. It's worked for everyone I know who's lost a substantial amount of weight.
Any proof?

Just because someones fat doesnt mean they dont exercise or eat salads

How do you explain me then.

How do you know it was exercise and salads that made the people you know lose weight which is in fact bad for you as you arent getting the oils and such needed.

Like I say I eat pasta and salads and do plenty of exercise and am fat.

I know thin people who do nothing but eat and booze and lounge about and are thin.

Why dont you get at them just because they are thin doesnt mean they are healthy.
SpiritedAway
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
wow. how adventerous. how would you like to stop eating all the things that you love and have to live off rabbit food for a few months/years :rolleyes:?
SuicidalLemming
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Remind me to rep you after midnight.
ch0c0h01ic
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by JoMo1)
Yes, very healthy, but absolutely bloody awful for losing weight, rice and pasta are awful for losing weight(no satiety, calorie dense). To lose weight most effectively you need to be eating Fresh fruit and veg and protein, which are all expensive.
I disagree with what you're saying. I never said live off of carbs, nor did I say that you have to consume large quantities of them. What I explained is a healthy and balanced diet if eating in the right quantities and as part of a calorie controlled diet.

Oats/porridge is actually very high in protein compared to most if not all cereals on the market. It is high in fibre, low GI carbs, etc so it keeps your fuller for longer and maintains a healthy blood sugar level, reducing cravings, hunger, overeating, etc.

Tinned/frozen fruit and veg, again, high in fibre which is good for your GI tract, but it also keep you fuller for longer, etc. Plus the vitamins and minerals are more concentrated that in fresh fruit and veg which decreases with age. Plus tinned and frozen is cheap.

Tuna, beans, cheap mince, turkey, etc all very good sources of protein, all cheap, all filling, all healthy. Beans, again, high in fibre, B vits, etc.

I will say again it is easy and it can be cheap to eat healthily. Again, it appears people are trying to make yet more excuses.

(Original post by JoMo1)
But this gets extremely dull, extremely fast, and a lot of people still don't know how to do it, and once again, not good for weight loss. Through cooking kids can learn what goes into the food, and how everything actually works. It allows them to take control of their diet more effectively and understand what they're eating.
Again, I never said you have to eat the same meal for every meal for every day. Things like chilli, curries, Chinese stir fries, shepherd's pie, etc can all be cooked raw, easily, cheaply and most importantly, healthily. For every 'unhealthy' or 'expensive' meal out there, there is a healthier and cheaper equivalent.

I would love to hear what your example of a 'healthy' or 'weight loss' diet is.

And again, it really isn't that challenging. If it is, get a healthy cook book, it breaks down the ingredients/shopping list, nutritional content, how to cook it, etc. We are also forgetting about the aspects of healthy eating that are taught at several levels through the school career (ie; food breakdowns, proportions, etc).

Again, it just appears to be more excuses.

(Original post by JoMo1)
Yes it is there, but I'm not saying these kids can't do it alone, and I'm saying we should be helping them as much as we can. How many young kids are going to go to the doctor to ask for help, or know what to trust on the internet?
Evidently quite a lot judging by the numbers we get in the fitness forum every day asking about how to lose weight/fat, get fitter, etc.

(Original post by JoMo1)
Most parents of fat kids also don't think it's a problem. I ws a very fat kid, and I have wonderful parents, but my mum is still convinced that it was puppy fat, and would never have taken me to the doctor's to get help. The help needs to be in the schools, where the kids are.
Again, the concept of healthy eating is discussed on the curriculum in schools (GCSE biology I believe), plus the importance of exercise and diet is also covered (again, GCSE biology and PE, pretty standard these days).

They don't have a childhood completely devoid of nutritional and exercise advice/information/

(Original post by JoMo1)
Overweight kids need some kind of attention to help them lose weight, it's hard enough for them even with the help, why make it harder?
What do you want? People going around and imprisoning overweight children in fat camps? The help, the support, the information, etc is out there, all it takes is a bit of initiative.

And most people who are overweight/unfit/unhealthy know that they are, they aren't ignorant of it. Whether it is because they get bullied at school, whether they get out of breath from walking up the stairs, etc.

(Original post by sigstuff)
I'm curious:
Anorexia is where people don't eat because they think they're too fat, but has any one heard of anyone eating loads because they think they are too thin and does this disorder have a name?
'Bigorexia' commonly a problem with teenagers these days aspiring to become big and muscular, again, a body dysmorphia issue.
walrusgod
Report 10 years ago
It really could not be simpler. Eat healthily (no excessively fatty, sugary foods etc. and not too much) and exercise more and you WILL lose weight. If you say you're doing all of those things and you're not losing weight, then you're just kidding yourself. In reality, probably less than 0.01% of fat people have a geniune medical condition that causes their blubberiness.

Yes, some people are genetically predisposed to gaining weight, but that does not in any way mean that you will gain weight no matter what. All other things being equal a thinner person is healther than a fat person. Stop making excuses! it is very possible to eat healthily and cheaply, you just have to use a bit of intelligence.

The hormone-sensitive enzyme lipase breaks down triglyceride (fat) molecules, which consist of 3 fatty acid molecules attached to a glycerol molecule. Then, then free fatty acids and glycerol enter the bloodstream, where the fatty acids bind to a carrier protein called albumin. Albumin then carries the fatty acids to the muscles, where they are either used to produce ATP or just remade into triglycerides if they are not used. Now, the hormones that affect lipase are adrenaline and insulin. Adrenaline activates the enzyme (to provide energy for the figh or flight response), insulin reduces its activity. You all know why and when insulin is released. The above is why low carb diets work. I'm not advocating complete abstinence from carbs, but reducing carb intake will stop blood sugar levels rising too much and thus reduce insulin levels.

So yeah, stop eating so much and do some exercise!
AnnyRoquentin
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by MittenKrust)
Any proof?

Just because someones fat doesnt mean they dont exercise or eat salads

How do you explain me then.

How do you know it was exercise and salads that made the people you know lose weight which is in fact bad for you as you arent getting the oils and such needed.

Like I say I eat pasta and salads and do plenty of exercise and am fat.

I know thin people who do nothing but eat and booze and lounge about and are thin.

Why dont you get at them just because they are thin doesnt mean they are healthy.
Well my mother and my best friend both went from sizes 16 and 14 down to sizes 10 and 8, and according to them they look and feel better for it.

And if you're still fat you're clearly doing something wrong. Like someone else said, reasons outside of one's control are few and far between.
SpiritedAway
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well my mother and my best friend both went from sizes 16 and 14 down to sizes 10 and 8, and according to them they look and feel better for it.

And if you're still fat you're clearly doing something wrong. Like someone else said, reasons outside of one's control are few and far between.
just because you feel better, diesn't mean you are better.
AnnyRoquentin
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by SpiritedAway)
just because you feel better, diesn't mean you are better.
God, you're hard work. Both are continually in and out of the doctors for medical reasons, which I'm not going to go into, and have been told that they are better for it.
♠٭P®ÎИ©€§§٭♠
Report 10 years ago
I agree with the article in some ways, but its a bit too harsh.
walrusgod
Report 10 years ago
And presumably, evolution would favour people who can fairly accurately tell whether they are better or not. Logically, feeling better does not necessarily mean that you are better, but in reality you probably are.
AnnyRoquentin
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Oh and SpiritedAway, I don't know what size you are, but your profile lends nothing to any of your arguments - "I like cheese and chocolate"
JoMo1
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I disagree with what you're saying. I never said live off of carbs, nor did I say that you have to consume large quantities of them. What I explained is a healthy and balanced diet if eating in the right quantities and as part of a calorie controlled diet.

Oats/porridge is actually very high in protein compared to most if not all cereals on the market. It is high in fibre, low GI carbs, etc so it keeps your fuller for longer and maintains a healthy blood sugar level, reducing cravings, hunger, overeating, etc.
yes, porridge is very good, but pasta and rice are awful for anyone trying to lose weight.When dieting the trick is to get as much satiety from all your foods as possible, starchy foods are terrible at this and so shouldn't be eaten while dieting.

Tinned/frozen fruit and veg, again, high in fibre which is good for your GI tract, but it also keep you fuller for longer, etc. Plus the vitamins and minerals are more concentrated that in fresh fruit and veg which decreases with age. Plus tinned and frozen is cheap.
also true, but less variety than fresh fruit and veg, and in alot of cases not as good for you/not as nice.

Tuna, beans, cheap mince, turkey, etc all very good sources of protein, all cheap, all filling, all healthy. Beans, again, high in fibre, B vits, etc.
beans are good, but are utterly despised by some people, mince and turkey are good options, but still expensive compared to some things I'd much rather have. Tuna is brilliant, but unfortunately 1 thing doesn't suit everyone, I personally despise tuna.

I will say again it is easy and it can be cheap to eat healthily. Again, it appears people are trying to make yet more excuses.
it is not easy if you are not in a culture of it, for some eating healthily and staying fit is extremely easy, for some it is extremely hard
MittenKrust
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by walrusgod)
It really could not be simpler. Eat healthily (no excessively fatty, sugary foods etc. and not too much) and exercise more and you WILL lose weight. If you say you're doing all of those things and you're not losing weight, then you're just kidding yourself. In reality, probably less than 0.01% of fat people have a geniune medical condition that causes their blubberiness.

Yes, some people are genetically predisposed to gaining weight, but that does not in any way mean that you will gain weight no matter what. All other things being equal a thinner person is healther than a fat person. Stop making excuses! it is very possible to eat healthily and cheaply, you just have to use a bit of intelligence.

The hormone-sensitive enzyme lipase breaks down triglyceride (fat) molecules, which consist of 3 fatty acid molecules attached to a glycerol molecule. Then, then free fatty acids and glycerol enter the bloodstream, where the fatty acids bind to a carrier protein called albumin. Albumin then carries the fatty acids to the muscles, where they are either used to produce ATP or just remade into triglycerides if they are not used. Now, the hormones that affect lipase are adrenaline and insulin. Adrenaline activates the enzyme (to provide energy for the figh or flight response), insulin reduces its activity. You all know why and when insulin is released. The above is why low carb diets work. I'm not advocating complete abstinence from carbs, but reducing carb intake will stop blood sugar levels rising too much and thus reduce insulin levels.

So yeah, stop eating so much and do some exercise!
That kinda makes sense, as my weight shot up at the same time as my depression did and I feel lethargic all the time(despite the exercise) so im not getting rushes of adrenaline

Also sugar makes me have a hangover feeling
Jessica_Moss
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by smellslikemarmite)
Because, they are a drain on the NHS, and I refuse to pay for fat people to have all kinds of surgery and treatment for their weight-related illnesses. Yes, I know I should move to another country if I don't like it, blah blah, but I don't see why I should move, because someone just can't stop themselves from shoving another cream cake down their gullet.
What about people who have a medical problem? The same could be said about smokers...a drain on the NHS...drug addicts. I dont think that fat people are the pit of our problems. Think of all the rehabilitation centres there are for addicts. What about all the cancer treatment used for people who smoke like a chimney! I think that costs the NHS more than obese people...
Jessica_Moss
Report 10 years ago
Oh dear, what a silly thing to say. I'm a small size 8, and no bones stick out on me, I'm just small! That's like me saying everyone over a certain size must be covered in rolls of flab - whereas in reality you can get larger people who are incredibly toned.

Also, good use of the exclamation mark there. Jesus.
Oh dear what a silly thing for you to say! Not all size eights are stick thin. If your a small height and thin then your not going to be boney. Its these people who are quite tall...like models, that are meant to weight a bit more and be a bigger size due to their height that are all boney and ribcagey!

Besides, skinny people have rolls too, there just miniature!

oh and i didnt know the exclamation mark police were in business!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (83)
25.86%
No (238)
74.14%

Watched Threads