Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough, I probably should have given reasons. xD

Rooms are MASSIVE. Seriously, so much bigger than my Stanmer room, and they're apparantly one of the biggest!
    Lots of storage space in room.
    Free washing machine and tumble drier!
    2 bathrooms between 5 - next best thing to ensuite.
    Fantastic view of fields and sunset.
    Feels like youre in a house...that could be a negative of positive though I guess. xD
    General nice atmosphere around the place, looks so nice when lit up at night.
    Flatmates are lovely, especially when compared to the last bunch I had.

How old will you be? I'm 20 (so a couple of years older than many) and feel fine here.

Lewes Court is pretty nice too to be fair, and you won't go far wrong with that. My calling in life is now to stop people going to Stanmer. :P

The living area in Lewesa Court is bigger than in Brighthelm (well, in the flat's I've seen anyway.) I had the choice between the two last week, and am glad I went for Brighthelm, but everyones different!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimmy Jazz)
    Fair enough, I probably should have given reasons. xD

Rooms are MASSIVE. Seriously, so much bigger than my Stanmer room, and they're apparantly one of the biggest!
    Lots of storage space in room.
    Free washing machine and tumble drier!
    2 bathrooms between 5 - next best thing to ensuite.
    Fantastic view of fields and sunset.
    Feels like youre in a house...that could be a negative of positive though I guess. xD
    General nice atmosphere around the place, looks so nice when lit up at night.
    Flatmates are lovely, especially when compared to the last bunch I had.

How old will you be? I'm 20 (so a couple of years older than many) and feel fine here.

Lewes Court is pretty nice too to be fair, and you won't go far wrong with that. My calling in life is now to stop people going to Stanmer. :P

The living area in Lewesa Court is bigger than in Brighthelm (well, in the flat's I've seen anyway.) I had the choice between the two last week, and am glad I went for Brighthelm, but everyones different!

*is jealous* do you know why the person who used to live there moved out?
    Yes, Stanmer is ****. It is becoming my calling as well
    (Still no word about compensation....)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nadiah)
    *is jealous* do you know why the person who used to live there moved out?
    Yes, Stanmer is ****. It is becoming my calling as well
    (Still no word about compensation....)

All his mates lived in Stanmer, so he wanted to be around them. He never really integrated with the people here...in fact he didn't tell them he was leaving!

I imagine the compensation will be something like £12...no way will that make up for all the crap!

ReputationRep:
    All his mates lived in Stanmer, so he wanted to be around them. He never really integrated with the people here...in fact he didn't tell them he was leaving!

I imagine the compensation will be something like £12...no way will that make up for all the crap!
    LOL oh dear!
    Yeah, probably, last time we got £15 which was pathetic!
    Anyways, hope you have a good time in Brighthelm, you lucky sod!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nadiah)
    LOL oh dear!
    Yeah, probably, last time we got £15 which was pathetic!
    Anyways, hope you have a good time in Brighthelm, you lucky sod!
    Thanks.

You should apply for a swap too! :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    Ahh, I didn't even see this next page, have been waiting for replies lol!... I think I'm definately swaying back towards Brighthlelm again and think I'm just gonna stick with that, it seems to meet all my needs and sounds lovely! So hopfully I'll be living there next year! Swapping was lucky, and you get on with your new flatmates even though it's like half way through the year, wasnt it hard cos they all knw each other well? I just really hope I get on well with people in my house, and not only that but with other houses too, get a community feel going......

Wanted to ask you Nadiah, as you do psychology, just heard a few things, and need to clarify, apparently its the biggest department and one in nine ppl at sussex do it? Thats fine but the other thing i've heard has kind of unsettled me just cos i'd feel a bit on show if its true, altho i couldnt be the only one doing it out of them all!! Is it majority girls doing it, i mean ive heard its mostly girls, and if its sooo many ppl doing it as irs biggest department, i dunno id just kinda like to know numbers like how many do it in total, and whats the gender ratio, cos it cant be just girls with a few guys..... also is everyone split into like several groups for their lectures and seminars, so slightly different times but still same subject?

Would greatly appreciate answers and if u have msn either of u, add me on [email protected]

I dont think i'll ever not have questions and worries til Im finally there haha.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luby)
    Ahh, I didn't even see this next page, have been waiting for replies lol!... I think I'm definately swaying back towards Brighthlelm again and think I'm just gonna stick with that, it seems to meet all my needs and sounds lovely! So hopfully I'll be living there next year! Swapping was lucky, and you get on with your new flatmates even though it's like half way through the year, wasnt it hard cos they all knw each other well? I just really hope I get on well with people in my house, and not only that but with other houses too, get a community feel going......

Wanted to ask you Nadiah, as you do psychology, just heard a few things, and need to clarify, apparently its the biggest department and one in nine ppl at sussex do it? Thats fine but the other thing i've heard has kind of unsettled me just cos i'd feel a bit on show if its true, altho i couldnt be the only one doing it out of them all!! Is it majority girls doing it, i mean ive heard its mostly girls, and if its sooo many ppl doing it as irs biggest department, i dunno id just kinda like to know numbers like how many do it in total, and whats the gender ratio, cos it cant be just girls with a few guys..... also is everyone split into like several groups for their lectures and seminars, so slightly different times but still same subject?

Would greatly appreciate answers and if u have msn either of u, add me on [email protected]

I dont think i'll ever not have questions and worries til Im finally there haha.....

1) I know it is one of the biggest, if not THE biggest...there's about 280 of us!
    2)It is majority girls, but youd find that at any uni coz it just seems to be more of a 'female' subject (like things like computer science pull in more males). I'd guess a gender ratio for psych is about 75% females, the rest male, maybe slightly more males.
    3)Everyone had their lectures at the same time, but then you're split into smaller groups for seminars and practicals.
    You also choose an elective subject to take, the one I did was Sociology (and indeed, I liked it so much that I'm taking it as a minor next year!)

ReputationRep:
    Thanks.

You should apply for a swap too! :tongue:
    I really want to, but I think i'll just stick it out for the term we have left....
    But guess who has no hot water, once again....!

ReputationRep:
    Wowza, that is quite a big ratio difference, I don't wanna feel like in the minority, but there must be a fair few guys too, I never really thought of it as a majority of girls taking it til recently, strange. How many people to a group for seminars/practicals etc?? and what are the elective choices? I hope this next year it will be more of a balance between the gender ratio as it will make it nicer, maybe the admissions people know.... Anyway thanks for your help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luby)
    Wowza, that is quite a big ratio difference, I don't wanna feel like in the minority, but there must be a fair few guys too, I never really thought of it as a majority of girls taking it til recently, strange. How many people to a group for seminars/practicals etc?? and what are the elective choices? I hope this next year it will be more of a balance between the gender ratio as it will make it nicer, maybe the admissions people know.... Anyway thanks for your help.
    Just wanted to ask - Sussex has a majority of girls anyway, it's like 65:35 AT LEAST! In my anthropology seminars there's like 2 guys out of about 12, and in politics more like 6/12 and that's generally considered more of a masculine subject.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough, I didn't think it was such a big ratio difference, well It's not a problem really, there's still loads of guys around, and it's not like I don't wanna be friends with girls, in some ways I prefer to have more female friends.

ReputationRep:
    Went to viist the Pevensey I building today, looks like a good department, and actually saw a whole seminar come out of like 8 people, and there was only 1 girl haha, so completely the opposite of what we'd be saying, but there were alot of girls around, but it seems cool, and I'm sure they'll divide it equally, didn't get to see the lecture hall which was annoying, but department otherwise looks good, and that the staff are right there and helpful if you're in need of any help which is really good!

ReputationRep:
    Don't forget it's not only Psych lectures in Pevensey - a mostly boy Psych seminar would be really unusual a lot of people do do Psychology but that doesn't make you on show since there are still a hell of a lot more people doing stuff that isn't Psychololgy (if you add them all together!) and a lot of people are doing psychology as a joint degree. I do psychology modules and I have enjoyed them although 2nd and 3rd year courses much more than 1st year.

ReputationRep:
    Fair.

ReputationRep:
    Hey Nadiah, just wondered what the Psychology exam timetable and general timetable was like for the summer term and exams? So I know what I'm in for!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luby)
    Hey Nadiah, just wondered what the Psychology exam timetable and general timetable was like for the summer term and exams? So I know what I'm in for!

Horrible

Lol I posted the summer timetable somewhere on this forum, I think it's on this thread somehwere! (or maybe another on the Sussex thing...)

My exam timetable is horrible, I have 7 exams (one of those is for my elective though) and one of those is on a SATURDAY!

Here it is:

Themes and Perspectives in Sociology II (1 hour 30 mins) Tue 9 Jun 2009 14:00 (my elective)

Cognitive Psychology I (for Year 1) (2 hours) Thu 11 Jun 2009 9:30

Individuals and Groups (1 hour) Tue 16 Jun 2009 17:00

Research Skills in Psychology (2 hours) Thu 18 Jun 2009 14:00

Psychology of Childhood and Adolescence (1 hour) Sat 20 Jun 2009 14:00

Psychobiology (1 hour) Tue 23 Jun 2009 17:00

Cognition in Clinical Contexts (1 hour) Thu 25 Jun 2009 14:00

ReputationRep:
    WHAT! URGH, how can it be that bad, and also late, finishes so late! Urgh, that's ****, I wanted it to be nice, as theyre not even that important, as theyre not a massive percentage anyway and you only have to get 40% to pass.

I swear none of this seemed as easy as it should/ive heard it was.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luby)
    WHAT! URGH, how can it be that bad, and also late, finishes so late! Urgh, that's ****, I wanted it to be nice, as theyre not even that important, as theyre not a massive percentage anyway and you only have to get 40% to pass.

I swear none of this seemed as easy as it should/ive heard it was.
    Yes but most psychology exams are half multiple choice and as you only need 40% you don't really need to do too much revision for them!

I'm in my final year taking a couple of psychology courses, one this saturday and one on the 2nd june (that is my last exam). 1st and 2nd year exams are later than final years.

ReputationRep:
    fair enough, I'm glad they're apparently not much to revise for, I definately like the sound of that as I hate revising the most, but it seems everyone has already finished/or finishing now, so that means for psych there's like a whole month more, which seems very odd, and I'd hate to be stuck at uni for another month at the end, by myself when everyone's gone home, that seems an awful idea, when the end is supposed to be the best, and you should be celebrating with your friends, hmm, i guess i'll just have to see when I get there! Thanks for all the advise!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luby)
    fair enough, I'm glad they're apparently not much to revise for, I definately like the sound of that as I hate revising the most, but it seems everyone has already finished/or finishing now, so that means for psych there's like a whole month more, which seems very odd, and I'd hate to be stuck at uni for another month at the end, by myself when everyone's gone home, that seems an awful idea, when the end is supposed to be the best, and you should be celebrating with your friends, hmm, i guess i'll just have to see when I get there! Thanks for all the advise!
    I've got two exams - 9th and 20th June. A lot of my first year friends (not psych students) are in a similar position. Most of the people I know are leaving on the last day you possibly can - 26th June. Seriously, don't worry about it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 17, 2010
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.