The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
ashy
Wait, you mean it DOES?

So that's where I've been going wrong....

It must be hard knowing the Internet hates you :console:

:p:
Reply 61
D-Day
It must be hard knowing the Internet hates you :console:

:p:

:five:
Reply 62
ashy
:five:

It makes it easier for me, knowing I'm not alone :ninja:
Define intelligence.
Reply 64
Speedbird2008
Biologianists are clearly teh awesome. :cool:

I think that just about sums it up.
Reply 65
D-Day
It makes it easier for me, knowing I'm not alone :ninja:

It doesn't matter, anyway. Physics is the art of knowing what maths is important, and throwing away the rest of the crap that really doesn't matter for anything :p:
Reply 66
ashy
It doesn't matter, anyway. Physics is the art of knowing what maths is important, and throwing away the rest of the crap that really doesn't matter for anything :p:

Damn it, we try to keep the mathmos happy so they don't start bitching and moaning.
jismith1989
Define intelligence.

I've always thought of intelligence as a harmony and balance between knowledge and understanding.

You?
Reply 68
Look Einstein and Newton were physicists (altho the latter is not so clear-cut). Maths goes into a needless amount of depth, pure maths at that level is pretty useless. Maths is just over-rated in my opinion, don't get me wrong I like it alot but I only see it as a tool for physicists.
Reply 69
jmz34
Look Einstein and Newton were physicists (altho the latter is not so clear-cut). Maths goes into a needless amount of depth, pure maths at that level is pretty useless. Maths is just over-rated in my opinion, don't get me wrong I like it alot but I only see it as a tool for physicists.

If so much of the stuff mathematicians do is useless, how is it a tool for physicists?

Contradiction:eek:
Reply 70
I daresay that a big part of "intelligence" is knowing when to quit.
Reply 71
lol biologist.
Maths is to physics, as Philosophy is to everything.

It provides a fundamental underpinning of first-concepts, and it deals with all the tricky **** that no one else wants to deal with
philosophy_kid
I've always thought of intelligence as a harmony and balance between knowledge and understanding.

You?

So we're basically making a value judgement about which strand of knowledge and understanding we rate more highly than the others?
jismith1989
So we're basically making a value judgement about which strand of knowledge and understanding we rate more highly than the others?

erm nooo... i'm giving a definition of intelligence.
Reply 75
Gesar
If so much of the stuff mathematicians do is useless, how is it a tool for physicists?

Contradiction:eek:

I'm sorry you see it that way. I'll put it in clearer terms: like someone else said, physicists take the most useful parts of maths and throw the rest away (for all you mathmos to waste time over).
Reply 76
what about Computer Scientists?
Original post by &#946
Biologist, because they are only one in the list who understands how the brain works. :p:

Do they? :P

It's quite clearly mathmos; but only because they're all autistic, socially-reclusive, genius savants.
Reply 78
Mathematician. Which is why I'm gonna become an engineer instead :yep:
Reply 79
jmz34
I'm sorry you see it that way. I'll put it in clearer terms: like someone else said, physicists take the most useful parts of maths and throw the rest away (for all you mathmos to waste time over).

Ah, I see. Then you're suffering from the same disorder as Tom :frown: So much of maths, the study of prime numbers being an excellent example, was purely for the enjoyment of mathematicians, of 'no use' to anyone. Then we needed to encrypt messages during information transfer, so physicists/cryptographers/computer-people came and raped the previously 'useless' maths.

Latest

Trending

Trending