Budgets. What is yours and why is mine so high? Watch

Celifein
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I can't be arsed retyping what I put in the other thread and if I copy and paste it I'm going to feel like a spammer. So, short version:

Per week:
£15-20 on food;
£5-15 on entertainment;
£5 on laundry;
£2.50 on mobile.

I have one of those top up packages on my phone. If I top up by £10 a month, I get 300 free texts and 1MB on the phone internet thing, plus I still have the £10 to spend on calls/downloading useless ****. I get more free texts if I top up by more (400 for £15, 500 for £20, I think--never needed more so I can't really remember).

I have a stash of toiletries, cleaning products and stationery that'll last me at least the first term, but it's only going to add about £5 a week to my budget when the stash runs out.

My biggest cost is debt repayments, which are going to be covered by my overdraft until I can pay it off (which should be by the end of the academic year).
Celifein
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by maze.e)
Ive been going through this thread and seems like people have really great budgeting tactics and wondered if someone could make a thread giving advice on food budgeting? Seem really helpful.
It's easier just to direct everyone to moneysavingexpert.com. There's a whole forum dedicated to helping people get their costs down.
WelshBluebird
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Starting my first year in september, so dunno if this will actually work, but this is what I've roughly budgeted per week.

Rent - £78
Food - £25-30
Going out - £25 max (I don't drink that much, and so I should be under this really)
Car - around £15 (petrol and parking - assuming I get a car before I go I'll be driving to cardiff around twice a month for the football).
Mobile phone - about £6 (£25 a month)

Plus toiletries, books, laundry etc. So your talking around £160 a week I would think, plus some for things like gigs, emergencies, or unexpected stuff. As long as I get a part time job I shouldn't have to touch my overdraft (my loans, grants and bursaries come to £5400, so I only need £600 more).
FireDeuce
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by cpj1987)
I don't have a specific budget, but spend around £25 on food a month, and spend money occasionally on treats. Lived on much less in the past. Yours is so high because of the amount on going out, and the fact that you smoke; but if it's within what you can afford it's nothing to worry about.
:eek3: How on earth do you do that?!?
cpj1987
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by FireDeuce)
:eek3: How on earth do you do that?!?
I've broken it down somewhere in this thread, and explained how I only eat one meal per day and snack on cereal.
hazzypants
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by natalie101988)
Hey. Was jus wondering what other peoples budgets were and if you could break them down for me! And why is mine so high!
Food- 25
phone- 15
going out- 40
store card- 5
cigarettes- 20
misc- 25

is it too much on going out?

I have overbudgeted slightly, jus to make sure!
thanks
If this is for a week, why is phone so high?? Can't you just have a contract opn like £5 a week instead (£25 a month)
22198doyle
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Sophie*Lou)
I haven't even thought about working mine out. I'm so disorganised. But just found out that my dad is going to be exceptionally nice to me and pay my tuition fees (£3145), acommodation (£3800) and give me £1000 a term as well as my student loan. I love my daddy sometimes.
Spoilt Biatch, get a job!
FireDeuce
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've broken it down somewhere in this thread, and explained how I only eat one meal per day and snack on cereal.
Oh. Health > Money, every time.
cpj1987
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by FireDeuce)
Oh. Health > Money, every time.
Never said I wasn't healthy. It's not healthy food, but I'm healthy at the moment. If I ever wasn't, I'd change my eating habits.
ccharlyy
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by 22198doyle)
Spoilt Biatch, get a job!
My dad pays for my accommodation for me as well.... AND I have a job! I can afford to pay for it myself but my dad insists!

Don't call people names when you don't know the individual circumstances!
faber niger
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Never said I wasn't healthy. It's not healthy food, but I'm healthy at the moment. If I ever wasn't, I'd change my eating habits.
To be fair, eating one meal a day isn't very healthy. But if that's what you have do, I'm not going to judge, because I'm going to have to scrimp myself.
x=o
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Food - 0
Accommodation - 0
Phone - £100
Misc- £7900
cpj1987
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jismith1989)
To be fair, eating one meal a day isn't very healthy. But if that's what you have do, I'm not going to judge, because I'm going to have to scrimp myself.
It's not what I have to do, it's just what I do.
faber niger
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's not what I have to do, it's just what I do.
Fair enough, live how you like!
little.miss.purple
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I havent even thought about my budget yet...maybe i should...
GodspeedGehenna
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Looking back on how much I spend on food shopping, I'll probably spend about £17 a week, leaving me with about £18 a week to spend on going out/toiletries etc.
katrinakaif
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Funny how people spend more on going out than food...
GodspeedGehenna
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by katrinakaif)
Funny how people spend more on going out than food...
I find it more amusing that "going out" isn't usually included under the catagory "luxuries", but as a catagory of its own.
cpj1987
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
I find it more amusing that "going out" isn't usually included under the catagory "luxuries", but as a catagory of its own.
:ditto:
dita_parlo
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
weekly:
£60 food (for 2 people)
£20 petrol
£30 cigarettes
£15 bus fare
£7.50 phone contract
£5 misc
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (76)
29.69%
No - I got the required grades (147)
57.42%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (33)
12.89%

Watched Threads