FLOX
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
always 'aitch'
Nara
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Indievertigo)
I assume you also think the correct way to say Z, is Zee, rather than Zed?
You should respect people's differences. Some people say Zee some say Zed, neither is incorrect. No need to get defensive about it.
xMiss_Sarahx
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by penguini)
I pronounce it "aitch", and I'll tell you a sad story to go with it....
I was brought up to pronounce it as "aitch" because I'm a protestant from Northern Ireland. Pronouncing it as "haitch" is how catholic children are taught it at school in Northern Ireland. So if you wanted to know someone's religion you could definitely tell by the way they pronounce the letter "H".

I hope this thread doesn't take a political turn. That's just IMHO, the sad truth.
:eek: I say 'haitch' but I'm protestant...saying that I'm not from Northern Ireland though.
Indievertigo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Profesh)
A herb would go down nicely, yes. Do you happen to have any mint?
Gah, why do I think you are American? That one backfired spectacularly.
Indievertigo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Nara)
You should respect people's differences. Some people say Zee some say Zed, neither is incorrect. No need to get defensive about it.
I humbly, and respectfully, with a bucketfull of humility, do sincerely apologise.
Jace Falco
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Fight! Fight!
nikki
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I usually say haitch, when I was little my logic was that the people around me weren't saying the 'h'es in words for some weird reason so obviously they just weren't saying the 'h' in 'haitch'! I learnt a lot of words from reading without ever hearing them pronounced, so I accidentally learnt some words (such as honour and heir) pronounced with 'h' at the beginning. I still keep getting them wrong

There was a weird moment in my school chemistry classes once. The teacher wasn't from the area and one day in the middle of an otherwise completely normal lesson the teacher was like :rant: lecturing us on the pronunciation of H (for hydrogen of course since it was a chemistry class). At the time I heard him say "it's not haitch, it's haitch!"... which just made him sound like he'd gone insane. It wasn't until years later that I realised he'd actually said "it's not haitch, it's aitch!"
Indievertigo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Jace Falco)
Fight! Fight!
:ninja:
qgujxj39
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by xMiss_Sarahx)
Also, I'm from Lancashire, so even if I try to say it with out the H, it sounds like there's one there anyway!!
:ditto:
shellyanne
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Starts with a H, clearly. Why would you start it with an E unles you are some stuck up southner? It's daft. And thick. And Snobby. Plus it makes no sense. Fool
samba
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You lot are very bored. :p:
gooner1991
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Eytch
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I was under the illusion that 'haitch' was Irish. It's something of an Irish Catholic shibboleth in my part of Scotland.
Toffee_Kid
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Come on Heychers - stand up && be counted!
Indievertigo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Vote now, lest ye be forgotten to the dust and ashes of eternity.
maghreblover
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Overground)
Haitch. There's a H in it, see.
:laugh:
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm proud of my English. I like everything to be correct. As far as my experience goes, the ones who say 'Haitch' are also the ones who don't know how to use apostrophes and can't spell.
When we were at Primary school, we used to get really annoyed when new people came and said 'Haitch'.
Aitch forever!
with 'An' before it.
'An aitch'. None of this 'A Haitch'. It sounds horrible and even if it sounded okay, it's incorrect. People should speak properly.

I have a friends who goes on about "I'm arksing", or "go and arks". It took me a good couple of weeks before I realised that she was actually saying "ask" or "asking". She physically can't say "ask", so I guess I sorta understand where all the "Haitch" people are coming from.
xMiss_Sarahx
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by sadie-kiki)
I'm proud of my English. I like everything to be correct. As far as my experience goes, the ones who say 'Haitch' are also the ones who don't know how to use apostrophes and can't spell.
When we were at Primary school, we used to get really annoyed when new people came and said 'Haitch'.
Aitch forever!
with 'An' before it.
'An aitch'. None of this 'A Haitch'. It sounds horrible and even if it sounded okay, it's incorrect. People should speak properly.

I have a friends who goes on about "I'm arksing", or "go and arks". It took me a good couple of weeks before I realised that she was actually saying "ask" or "asking". She physically can't say "ask", so I guess I sorta understand where all the "Haitch" people are coming from.
Not true, I'm usually the one getting annoying at other people's spelling and misuse of apostrophes, yet I say 'Haitch'. I never realised there were two ways of saying it until about a year ago. Where I come from they both sound very similar, so i grew up saying 'haitch'. It's not like it's the kind of thing they teach you to spell in primary school!
Yes, okay, it's incorrect. I find it similar to the scone argument, people just say it differently, usually dependent on how their parents/peers say it.
marcusmerehay
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i pronounce it 'ash' when i' in a French lesson :rolleyes:
Svenssen
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr i pronounce it 'H'.

Seriously, theres no other way you can, unless you cant speak english properly.

Seriously SOME PEOPLE
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (74)
27.51%
No (195)
72.49%

Watched Threads