Playing music on public transport... Watch

Sanyore
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I find it funniest when they do it right below one of those TFL signs with the cartoon saying "I'll listen to my music with headphones on" or something along those lines.
cheese_fondue
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
one day i will just GRAB someone's damn mp3player/ipod/whatever, throw it on the floor and STAMP on it. seriously.
Chaotic Evil
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by SillyFencer)
There's little I could care less about.
As you can see the majority do, and they seem quite pissed off too (read the post above this). Do you even the bus regularly? There are things that don't affect me but I don't go round saying I couldn't care less. Also you missed the point of the thread, I'd like to know if you think the strategy would work; crime levels will affect you even if this doesn't directly.

(Original post by .:Gamble:.)
Don't bother replying seriously lol, because theres nothing you, TSR, TFL (with their stupid ADs), my mummy or your daddy can do about it but come on the internet and moan.
expect to hear this regularly (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dS2OVB92eBc)
at the back the of that comfy bus..
There is clearly no hope.
MadeInChina
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i sometimes do it but only if its good music and i got good speakers on my phone.
Rusty Nails
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The music that they play always seems to be "Chipmunked" for some reason...
DevilishAngel
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Totally agree with your post! Hate it when ppl are playing their loud music on buses! And the thing abt headphones doesn't matter too....coz few months back this guy was sitting on an opposite seat to me and i cud hear every single word of the songs he was listening too....the volume was soo high....i had to look and see whether he was playing them loud...infact he was listening to them through headphones! ppl out there damaging their ears and others too! Sumthing should be done abt this-seriously!
deadgenius
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It makes me very very angry. A couple of times i did the brave(stupid) thing and told them to turn it off. There was this one girl who was soooo ****ing gobby and just having a go at me for "being the bus police" and "sounding like her grandad". Anyways, I ****ged off her grandad and every time she sees me she plays her music even louder than she was before.

I sort of understand why she does it now (the main reason being to piss me off), but once I heard her mate tell her to turn it off and gave her a similar rant to what I got. How can these people have friends?
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Chaotic Evil)
As you can see the majority do, and they seem quite pissed off too (read the post above this). Do you even the bus regularly? There are things that don't affect me but I don't go round saying I couldn't care less. Also you missed the point of the thread, I'd like to know if you think the strategy would work; crime levels will affect you even if this doesn't directly.

There is clearly no hope.
I do even the bus regularly. I have heard chavs playing music twice - in total.
Chaotic Evil
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by SillyFencer)
I do even the bus regularly. I have heard chavs playing music twice - in total.
Maybe I should move to Scotland...
cheese_fondue
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
but i do admit that whenever i see an idiot with his headphones on and the music turned up load i am quite satisified when i think he will be deaf by the time he's 40. karma.
Expression
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Chaotic Evil)
Playing music on public transport (and other enclosed areas in public) should be a punishable offence. If you're arrogant enough to make everyone listen to your ****ty music (yes, it's almost always ****ty, think about who it is playing it) you deserve the punishment.

And smoking on buses, which is done only by the most disrespectful people should guarantee you a sentence, these idiots are not needed in this society. I've witnessed one of them not putting his cigarette out after a woman with asthma informing him of her condition, which resulted in the bus driver having to ask him, but he was not fined.

This isn't just a rant, before you say 'there are more important things', it isn't particularly important, but enforcing these minor issues will improve the general quality of life. The former mayor of New York took the 'broken windows' strategy which consisted of making offences as insignicant as littering and minor vandalism a priority, and by doing this crime levels dropped.

I'm sure this will work just as well here, if not better, since vandalism and street crime are much higher, especially in certain parts of London.

The highlighted part is the point of this thread, do you think it could work here, or at least worth trying it?

Well in terms of trains, the playing of music to the annoyance of someone is a Railway Byelaws offense.

Byelaw 7(1)(ii).

Except with the written permission from an Operator, no person on the railway shall, to the annoyance of any person ... use any instrument, article or equipment for the production or reproduction of sound.

I think that in terms of taking the NYC Mayor approach, that Merseyrail have been the operator that have really clamped down on low-level Anti-Social Behaviour, by enforcement of the byelaws using fines for offenses like feet on seats, playing music without earphones, going wrong way on station escalators (up-on-down or down-on-up), boarding when the train doors are closing, obstruction of the doorways and obviously ticketless travel.

Levels of this type of crime on the Merseyrail network are apparently now much lower, (following a notable increase due to higher detection rates), and due to the deterrant effect, high level crimes such as assault and mugging is now lower on this particular part of the railway too.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (282)
27.35%
No (749)
72.65%

Watched Threads