Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlackHawk)
    When I was younger, if I'd been in that situation I'd never have had an abortion.

If you're mature enough to have sex, then you are mature enough to deal with the consequences. If you don't want kids, then either don't have sex, or use a couple of forms of contraception.
    Contraception can fail. Why should someone who has done their up most (apart from not having sex - obv) to prevent getting pregnant have to live with having a kid they don't want?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
    How can you claim you're NOT stereotyping?
    So you've seen a few chav families....so what? You're going to tarr every young mother with the same brush?
    As I've just said, I do not live in a council house. In fact I live in a very good area. So I'd love to know how I fit into your theory.

You really think that if you got pregnant now, you would inevitably end up a dosser in a council house? That, to me, implies that you have very little faith in yourself.
    no of course I wouldn't....i'd abort. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Wrong thread :p:

ReputationRep:
    I'm not in a position to have children for at least 5-10 years so I would definitely have an abortion.

I want to get settled and have a good lifestyle and enjoy my younger years before I get tied down with children. At this age I don't want to have to worry about getting babysitters when I want to go out, or 'can I afford these clothes?' or having to carry a baby around all the time. I want to keep my figure as well..I don't want to be covered in stretch marks and have a flabby tummy at my age

I'm not even sure children are ever going to be part of my life plan.

ReputationRep:
    i dont see what's wrong with going through pregnancy and giving it away if it is REALLY not wanted.

p.s. OP i'm not begruding anyone of an abortion but to be fair your thread is asking for our opinions and mine is that i would not have one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princess_sue)
    no of course I wouldn't....i'd abort. :cool:
    I meant in the hypothetical situation that you actually gave birth. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrs_Sylar)
    i dont see what's wrong with going through pregnancy and giving it away if it is REALLY not wanted.
    But sometimes its not even feasible for them to carry a baby for nine months.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrs_Sylar)

p.s. OP i'm not begruding anyone of an abortion but to be fair your thread is asking for our opinions and mine is that i would not have one
    No i respect your opinion, and you are right everyone is entitled to theirs.

I'm just throwing more sticks into the fire, and more things for people to consider :cool:

ReputationRep:
    So I was talking to my friends about this the other day. We were asking what each other would do if we found out we were pregnant.

My response was - abortion. I wouldn't think twice about it. I would have it done right away. I'm just not ready - why should I put my life on hold for a child that I can't provide for financially and emotionally.

My response was exactly the same as my best friend (she is 26, finished Uni has a mortgage and a boyfriend of 5 years), she would have an abortion as well.

Our replies caused some of our other friends to become really really annoyed at us, the fact we wouldn't even consider keeping it. To the point were 3 of the girls (we were in a group of 10) got up and left.

So, what I want to know is.............whats your opinion? Do you agree with what I have said, or what our friends did?

Edit: To the guys that think they are being smart - you're not.
    I'm not female but here goes, you don't want a discussion you just want to hear other girls agree with you. Saying this may cause some conflict but you do realise that it is incredibly difficult to get pregnant if you're sensible.

What I really hate is that people treat pregnant girls like angles that are vulnerable and should not be judged. I'm sorry but unless you have legitimate reason for being landed with an unwanted pregnancy (i.e. being raped) I have absolutely no sympathy and will would not support the notion of an abortion unless it was actually legal.

If you don't want a child that badly your first thought should be on how to prevent pregnancy not how to terminate it if it happens, that kinda attitude is what leads to people in this country treating abortion as a form of contraception.

and to all those out there, I'm pro choice. I believe that every woman has the choice to say NO before and man sticks his unprotected gear up her

ReputationRep:
    How can you claim you're NOT stereotyping?
    So you've seen a few chav families....so what? You're going to tarr every young mother with the same brush?
    As I've just said, I do not live in a council house. In fact I live in a very good area. So I'd love to know how I fit into your theory.

You really think that if you got pregnant now, you would inevitably end up a dosser in a council house? That, to me, implies that you have very little faith in yourself.
    Oh gosh, princess_sue most definitely WAS stereotyping. Stereotyping is when you, for example, see a gypsy steal and then harbour the belief that all gypsys steal. Princess_sue has seen some young mothers in council houses and so she thinks they're all that way. Which is stereotyping. I live in a very good area myself, and when my baby is born that won't change where I live. Obviously, i'd have less money since babies cost a lot but it doesn't mean that all young mothers are poor. What a generalisation on princess_sue's part. :shifty:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmyK)
    But sometimes its not even feasible for them to carry a baby for nine months.
    yeah i know, i've already outlined those factors in a previous post

ReputationRep:
    I meant in the hypothetical situation that you actually gave birth. :rolleyes:
    Honestly, I would be in the crappiest financial situation ever.
    I would have to leave my job.
    My partner makes a wage but isn't enough to get a mortgage on.
    Renting is basically burning money, so wouldn't be an option.

On the off chance I have enough money to clothe the little buggar - we wouldn't be able to afford food.
    I think there would be no option but to turn to the Government - which is a big no no for me.

Maybe that does show me as naive, but that is how I would genuinely see my life panning out if I didn't abort.

Also, adoption is a big no as well. I do want children - I honestly can't wait to have them - but in 8-10 years. If i physically gave birth to a child I couldn't give it away.

ReputationRep:
    I would only ever have an abortion if he baby was severely deformed or posed a threat to my life or if i was raped...but then if i was raped i may think of giving the baby up for adoption. Im in a long term relationship so i know id have my bf's support. So certainly i wouldnt have an abortion. I think all life is sacred and id feel like a cold blooded killer getting rid of my own baby for no good reason.

As for a baby ruining your life, well thats silly...sure itll hold you back but not RUIN your life. Im at uni and if i got preg in the 3 years of it i would take my maternity leave and then come back...in fact it would make me even more determined to successfully complete my course so i can then work towards a career that will support my baby (im doing nursing then midwifery so i guess it wont be too hard to get a job)

Ideally, the best time for me to have a baby would be in 5 and a half years...by then id have finished my education and been in a job for a year so would have maternity leave granted, but you never know, baby could come along earlier lmao...my implanon might fail, eep!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmberH)
    I'm 7 months pregnant at the moment. Termination was never an option. If your boyfriend doesn't wear a condom, even if you have a one night stand, why should your baby pay for your mistake?
    If you feel that you are not able to look after it, put it up for adoption. So many couples are desperate for children, why would you then kill it? Just my opinion anyway.
    How about, if my the condom worn by my mature and responsible boyfriend splits, why should I pay for this misfortune by relinquishing all I ever hoped for in life?

Most people having abortions would have them very soon after discovering they were pregnant, certainly if I had an abortion it would be very unlikely to be later than 6-8 weeks, as long as it took me to miss a period, have a pregnancy test, and arrange the abortion. So to put the baby up for adoption requires actually letting that unwanted ball of cells *become* a baby first, which means spending 8 months longer being pregnant than you otherwise would, with all the feeling ill and physical disability that entails, then giving birth to the thing, a painful and horrible process. Not everyone wants to put themselves through that, or have the consequences of going through that such as a ruined academic career, just because of a sentimental attachment to a hypothetical baby.

There is only one situation at the current time where I would consider keeping a baby, and that is if I discover that I'm likely to become infertile in the near future and thus might not be able to get pregnant when I want to. But that is (hopefully) even more unlikely than me getting pregnant in the first place.

Edited to add: Gah, I typed so slowly that practically everything there seems to have already been said now Oh well

ReputationRep:
    So I was talking to my friends about this the other day. We were asking what each other would do if we found out we were pregnant.

My response was - abortion. I wouldn't think twice about it. I would have it done right away. I'm just not ready - why should I put my life on hold for a child that I can't provide for financially and emotionally.

My response was exactly the same as my best friend (she is 26, finished Uni has a mortgage and a boyfriend of 5 years), she would have an abortion as well.

Our replies caused some of our other friends to become really really annoyed at us, the fact we wouldn't even consider keeping it. To the point were 3 of the girls (we were in a group of 10) got up and left.

So, what I want to know is.............whats your opinion? Do you agree with what I have said, or what our friends did?

Edit: To the guys that think they are being smart - you're not.
    As my darling boyfriend says "ABORT ABORT".

Seriously though, I think there's nothing wrong with abortion. I completely agree with the post above, I would not hesitate to have an abortion and the maximum time it would take would probs be six weeks, it is not a baby in six weeks it is a cluster of cells.

I wouldn't want to bring a child into the world that I would resent, because I would, I don't want to ruin my body and my life. It would ruin it too....I don't care what people say having a child young when you're ambitious and talented is like a death sentence career wise.

No one can have it all (sidenote: why are women always being told they should have it all? a family and a career when men are never expected to have 'it all'). It's not that I don't like children or look down on young mums, but for me it would be the end of my life, and I quite like it the way it is for now.

ReputationRep:
    abortion, no second thoughts. Im against killing, but im even more against cruelty.. and I cannot support a child anytime soon- financially, emotionally.. and im not sure if i ever want to be a parent. I couldnt bring a child into the world and not be sure of that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Valkyrja)
    As my darling boyfriend says ABORT ABORT.

Seriously though, I think there's nothing wrong with abortion.
    Lol - he sounds like my partner as well!! Ha.

My partner fully supports my opinion of getting rid!

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, I would be in the crappiest financial situation ever.
    I would have to leave my job.
    My partner makes a wage but isn't enough to get a mortgage on.
    Renting is basically burning money, so wouldn't be an option.

On the off chance I have enough money to clothe the little buggar - we wouldn't be able to afford food.
    I think there would be no option but to turn to the Government - which is a big no no for me.

Maybe that does show me as naive, but that is how I would genuinely see my life panning out if I didn't abort.

Also, adoption is a big no as well. I do want children - I honestly can't wait to have them - but in 8-10 years. If i physically gave birth to a child I couldn't give it away.
    Even if you did have to turn to the government for financial aid, that doesn't mean it's got to be like that forever. When children go to school there would be nothing stopping you going back to work.

Bad situations don't ever have to be anything other than temporary you know.

As (un)luck would have it, my husband lost his full time job a few days before I was due with my daughter. We were not expecting this at all, and were devastated.
    We ended up relying on job seekers allowance for 8 months before he found another job.
    It sucked, but it was only 8 months. Not the end of the world by any means. We pulled ourselves out of that though. Nobody has to stay in a bad situation forever if they don't want to - you just need motivation.

You sound like you would just give up though. You'd turn to the government for financial aid, and that would be that. Why the lack of motivation?

Anyway, I realise it's all hypothetical and that you would abort in any case. I'm just curious as to why you seem to have such a defeatist attitude.

ReputationRep:
    It's hard to say if you're not in that position but I'd like to think I would keep it no matter what. I couldn't kill it. Although I would have to think long and hard about whether to give it up for adoption or not.

ReputationRep:
    If I took a pregnancy test tomorow and found out I was pregnant I'd have an abortion straight away, no doubt and no guilt.
    I think your friends took it abit far by walking off..
    Everyone entitled to their own opinions and choices and such.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 23, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.