Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    You seem quite articulate. Why Kent, may I ask? Obviously, after living in Oxford all your life, it's going to be quite a culture shock.

ReputationRep:
    Of course I want you to be happy. More than anything.

But my gut feeling is that you should give it another day or two.

Do what you feel is best, Will. I've had my say and now it's completely your choice.

xxxxx

ReputationRep:
    Aww. Thanks again.

And, for you, I will see how things go.

But maybe I should try to build my life up in a different way.

I'll try to borrow some of your charm and confidence for tomorrow's activities, however.

But whatever, love you! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KentWill)
    Aww. Thanks again.

And, for you, I will see how things go.

But maybe I should try to build my life up in a different way.

I'll try to borrow some of your charm and confidence for tomorrow's activities, however.

But whatever, love you! x
    Thank you just flash them a gorgeous smile and you'll win them all.

ReputationRep:
    have all the tsrians been meeting up? cuz i think its a good idea, but havnt done it yet

ReputationRep:
    theres a train leaving chatham station for oxford at 23.43. 3 changes. £26.80

ReputationRep:
    Aww Will, sweetie, I hate to hear that you're feeling like this!

Seriously, I think you should give it a week maybe. I suffer from low self-esteem too, but I have managed to fall in with my flat mates and made a few random acquaitances/mates around campus. Once people start to see you around and know your name, you'll feel more comfortable, and more likely to want to stay.
    I went to the Venue last night, and was a bit scared by it to be honest, clubbing isn't really for me I think. But I did it, and know that in the future it may not be the best thing for me to do, but you never know.
    Do you fancy meeting up at some point? I think a couple of people on here would be happy to meet you and provide you with a friendly face

:hugs:

ReputationRep:
    stop being such a little *****
    you've been there a day

ReputationRep:
    also, WTFWJD?

ReputationRep:
    wjd?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChicaBonita)
    Aww Will, sweetie, I hate to hear that you're feeling like this!

Seriously, I think you should give it a week maybe. I suffer from low self-esteem too, but I have managed to fall in with my flat mates and made a few random acquaitances/mates around campus. Once people start to see you around and know your name, you'll feel more comfortable, and more likely to want to stay.
    I went to the Venue last night, and was a bit scared by it to be honest, clubbing isn't really for me I think. But I did it, and know that in the future it may not be the best thing for me to do, but you never know.
    Do you fancy meeting up at some point? I think a couple of people on here would be happy to meet you and provide you with a friendly face

That was a really interesting and heartening message, Chica.

I know that there's a chance of me starting to build up relationships with people, though at the moment I feel so fed-up I confess that I don't really have a craving for making friends. That in mind, however, I would so much like to have a happy, university life. It's just that the prospect of that happening seems so low, if not utterly unachievable. I seem to be stranded here, in a place where everone seems more self-assertive than I am.

I'll also take heart from your responses to negative experience. I shouldn't allow this despondency of mine to ruin my opinion of university in the way you haven't allowed an unenjoyable experience at The Venue to tarnish yours. Furthermore, I know I need to persist in spite of my equally low self-esteem.

Lastly, maybe we could meet some time. It would be nice, though I'd feel pretty useless if the only way I managed to get someone to notice me was by begging them to do so over the internet. :no:

It'd also be nice to attend another TSR get together.

ReputationRep:
    I think that may be quite a good idea.

I know that Kentwill has attracted a bit of bad rep on this site, but I can definitely relate to the sense of frustration that he must be feeling.
    Personally, I've had no trouble getting on with the people in my flat, but I'm really a lot quieter than most of them and at the moment I still feel like bit of an outsider.

Perhaps some of us who are feeling like this could meet up tomorrow or the next day. In the morning when most of the drunkards are nursing their hangovers? Don't worry, Will. Once Fresher's week is out of the way I think that things will begin to improve.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saruken)
    I think that may be quite a good idea.

I know that Kentwill has attracted a bit of bad rep on this site, but I can definitely relate to the sense of frustration that he must be feeling.
    Personally, I've had no trouble getting on with the people in my flat, but I'm really a lot quieter than most of them and at the moment I still feel like bit of an outsider.

Perhaps some of us who are feeling like this could meet up tomorrow or the next day. In the morning when most of the drunkards are nursing their hangovers? Don't worry, Will. Once Fresher's week is out of the way I think that things will begin to improve.
    If you're quiet and feel like an outsider, but are getting on with people, there's hope for me.

And yep, perhaps we could have a meet-up for all the nervous TSR people.

You seem really nice, Saruken.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KentWill)
    That was a really interesting and heartening message, Chica.

I know that there's a chance of me starting to build up relationships with people, though at the moment I feel so fed-up I confess that I don't really have a craving for making friends. That in mind, however, I would so much like to have a happy, university life. It's just that the prospect of that happening seems so low, if not utterly unachievable. I seem to be stranded here, in a place where everone seems more self-assertive than I am.

I'll also take heart from your responses to negative experience. I shouldn't allow this despondency of mine to ruin my opinion of university in the way you haven't allowed an unenjoyable experience at The Venue to tarnish yours. Furthermore, I know I need to persist in spite of my equally low self-esteem.

Lastly, maybe we could meet some time. It would be nice, though I'd feel pretty useless if the only way I managed to get someone to notice me was by begging them to do so over the internet. :no:

It'd also be nice to attend another TSR get together.
    I'm glad that it was a helpful post :hugs:

Seriously though, I wouldn't worry about how you meet people, even if it is through the internet because you were feeling down- there's absolutely no shame in that. This is a new experience and completely different to anything you would have experienced before, and so you will feel a bit out of sorts.

When could we arrange this meet-up then?

ReputationRep:
    When could we arrange this meet-up then?
    Where is everyone living? I'm in Parkwood.
    I didn't go to the TSR meet-up yesterday, so I don't know anyone on here in person. I can get up pretty early, so does anyone fancy a morning meet-up?

ReputationRep:
    How about an early meet-up in Canterbury itself, away from all the rowdiness of the campus?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saruken)
    Where is everyone living? I'm in Parkwood.
    I didn't go to the TSR meet-up yesterday, so I don't know anyone on here in person. I can get up pretty early, so does anyone fancy a morning meet-up?
    I'm in Tyler Court, but I've got a welcome thing for Rutherford at 10:30, so not sure how wise an early meet-up would be
    Although of course feel free to meet up without me if you so wish :o:

ReputationRep:
    Just for a change from the nasty comments, I hope you get it sorted OP. Just try and find some inner strength to battle a few days away, and do your best to make some friends, that's the first milestone eh? It won't be too difficult to reach either, even if it's just by leaving your door open etc.

ReputationRep:
    That sounds like a good idea, actually, rastaman. If I find just a smidgeon more confidence within me I'll try that. I just hope I don't feel silly sitting here (well, I'm actually in bed now, with the laptop reaching over onto it, instead of on the desk) while passer-bys look in at me.

ReputationRep:
    ive got welcome talks and stuff like all day i think but id like us all to meet up maybe someone should do a meet up thread for tsrians?

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.