Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by quadruple_twist)
    It is an expensive vaccine: men infected with HPV don't get cancer from it, so it isn't cost-effective to vaccinate both sexes.
    I guess that's a factor seeing as each vaccination cost £160 and a girl has to have 3. Imagine the overall costs of the programme. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I actually now despise that vaccine.
    EVERY morning when I'm driving to uni, I hear the ad for it in the radio. It has to be the most UNBELIEVABLY annoying thing to ever violate my ears. I was going to try and quote it here, but I can't even remember what is said in the ad. That just proves how utterly useless it is.
    It goes something along these lines (I've made up what the kids say in it, I can't remember):

"I'm protected against cervical cancer!" (said by one child, quite quietly)
    "I'm protected against cervical cancer!" (said by a couple of children.. louder)
    "I'm protected against cervical cancer!" (more kids, louder)
    "I'M PROTECTED AGAINST CERVICAL CANCER" (more kids, REALLY LOUD)

By this point, I'm SCREAMING at my radio, filled with utter bloody RAGE. Being stuck in rush hour traffic at 8.30am, absolutely shattered, pissed off to be going into a day of classes, and this bloody ad keeps SCREAMING THE SAME ******* THING OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER.

GOD DAMNIT. I'm actually angry right now just thinking about it AGRHRDGKIFGDKIHGKHASKFHGDsf

Apparently, because of a dearth of school nurses, many PCT's are arranging for GP's to take on the vaccination programme.

GPs to take on HPV vaccination

05 Sep 08
    By Steve Nowottny

The HPV vaccination programme is to be administered entirely by GPs in some parts of the country, after warnings some areas have too few school nurses to support a schools-based programme.

The vaccination programme, which kicked off last week, will offer vaccine to all girls aged 12 or 13, with a two-year catch-up campaign targeting girls aged up to 18 starting in September 2009.
    The programme was originally intended to be schools-based, but Pulse has learned that some PCTs have already commissioned GP practices to administer the vaccine amid fears that school nurses would be swamped by the programme.
    An article in the British Journal of School Nursing warned school nurses could see their workload triple, and were likely to require ‘increased staffing budgets’. Meanwhile the Royal College of Nursing has reported that preparation has been patchy, with ‘some areas that are better prepared than others’.
    The majority of PCTs are still pushing ahead with a schools-based programme – but some have asked GPs to step into the breach.
    In Cornwall, all GP practices have signed up to provide the vaccination under a local enhanced service after PCT bosses realised they would have to hire new nurses to carry out the programme through schools.
    Dr Sarah Gray, primary care lead for women’s health for Cornwall and Isles of Scilly PCT, and a GP in Truro, said: ‘We have very few school nurses – we would have to have started recruiting last Christmas.’
    Practices in Cornwall have on average 38 girls eligible for vaccination on their lists. Under the terms of the LES, GPs will be paid £7.53 per dose administered, and £15 per girl in the cohort if 90% of the cohort has been immunised.
    Dr Paula Briggs, a GP with an interest in sexual health in Liverpool, said other areas could follow suit.
    ‘That will be the more expensive option, but if there aren’t enough school nurses then that’s the route they’re going to have to go down.’

Taken from http://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/story.as...rycode=4120548

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE preferring instead to accept what is put in front of them because it suits their own prejudices. :shifty:[/QUOTE]

yes cos catholics never twist things to suit themselves do they - always they are poor misinterpreted little angelic darlings who never put a foot wrong.

as for the vaccinations there catholics so this kind of idiotic move hardly suprises me

(Original post by silverbolt)
    yes cos catholics never twist things to suit themselves do they - always they are poor misinterpreted little angelic darlings who never put a foot wrong.

as for the vaccinations there catholics so this kind of idiotic move hardly suprises me
    Your post evidences my point exactly...ingrained prejudice.

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    Your post evidences my point exactly...ingrained prejudice.

Thank you.

your welcome - incidently your post just reinforces my opinion of catholics so thank you for that

ReputationRep:
    your welcome - incidently your post just reinforces my opinion of catholics so thank you for that
    Just out of interest, would you view all Catholics the same way? I mean, do you think they all believe the same things and act the same way?

I dunno if it's very clear what I'm trying to ask (but it's late :o: )

No, my post does nothing other than point out your prejudice.

You can't make other people responsible for your own intolerance...that rests fairly and squarely in your own ball court.

Anyway, you've been give more attention than you deserve...:hand:... so back to the wisdom of using school premises for what is not a school matter, but rather, a public health matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    Apparently, because of a dearth of school nurses, many PCT's are arranging for GP's to take on the vaccination programme.

Taken from http://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/story.as...rycode=4120548
    Interesting. I wonder if this means they'll be doing them in the GP surgeries though, or if GPs will be coming into schools to administer the vaccines?

ReputationRep:
    Having looked at the original news I realized that it is merely a solitary Catholic School that has decided against cervical jab, and I believe this simply will not represent the entire catholics community. Its the same logic as one vicar is a paedophile does not mean a majority of vicars are paedophiles.

The way the newspapers word the title, "catholic school bans cancer jab" can easily mislead people into believing in that it is the entire sections of catholic schools and it is an example of media sensentionalism.

(Original post by Helenia)
    Interesting. I wonder if this means they'll be doing them in the GP surgeries though, or if GPs will be coming into schools to administer the vaccines?
    Since the practice nurses are up in arms about it...they don't get the extra money - the GP's do...and they already have the influenza/pneumonoccocal clinics starting, I think we can assume that the jabs will be done in the surgeries.

(Original post by Lilflipsy)
    Having looked at the original news I realized that it is merely a solitary Catholic School that has decided against cervical jab, and I believe this simply will not represent the entire catholics community. Its the same logic as one vicar is a paedophile does not mean a majority of vicars are paedophiles.

The way the newspapers word the title, "catholic school bans cancer jab" can easily mislead people into believing in that it is the entire sections of catholic schools and it is an example of media sensentionalism.
    Media sensationalism, it is indeed. I can remember when the media gave a warped account of the Archbishop of Canterbury's comments about Muslim courts ability to deal with civil processes (as Jewish courts do already) in this country should not be seen as being above the British law. It created a furore because it was slanted to appeal to a secular audience. As is this one!

I am copying the document issued by the Catholic Education Service to Catholic Schools. It makes no mention of where the vaccination programme should be carried out, so one doesn't know whether that's a deliberate omission since, as I said before, it is a public health issue, not a school issue. Regarding school premises being used...the Governing Bodies of Voluntary-Aided Schools have autonomy to make their own decisions on the use of school premises since the premises belong to either Trustees or Dioceses and are therefore in private ownership.

CES statement on the HPV vaccination programme (23rd June 2008)

Vaccination against the virus that causes squamous cell cervical cancer
    to be available for schoolgirls

The availability of vaccination against Human Papilloma Virus (HPV) offers the prospect of saving hundreds of lives each year and protecting the health of many more women and the well being of their families. It makes sense to take a relatively simple medical step to protect females from this life threatening disease. Human Papilloma Virus leads to squamous cell cervical cancer, which kills nearly 1,000 women each year but which seriously damages the health of very many more annually.

Vaccination against the disease should not be seen as any sort of encouragement to promiscuity but rather a sensible move to protect against an avoidable disease. There is no evidence to suggest that concerns about the risk of contracting this virus influences sexual activity of either males or females. HPV is transferred to females from males who are unlikely to be aware that they carry the virus as they remain free of symptoms. It would be inhumane to deny females the opportunity to be protected against this potentially devastating infection.

Such early vaccination should help to ensure that it is made widely available to all well before the time when young people are most vulnerable to sexual pressure. Sadly, abuse, exploitation and other pressures are all too prevalent. Whilst no parent wants to think that their daughter would be susceptible, offering vaccination to all helps to protect from longer term dangers and there are benefits to society from making it available to all teenagers, subject to the agreement of their parents. We note that the vaccine is not being provided for teenage boys and question the wisdom of this, if the virus is to be successfully eradicated over time.

There is nothing in Catholic teaching to suggest that there is anything wrong with the use of vaccination against this disease, nor does it undermine the Church’s teachings in regard to human relationships and sexual activity. It remains important that all safe and moral steps are taken to protect people from the virus. This includes good relationships education in both home and at school, and also the opportunity to have this optional vaccination whilst a teenager.

Oona Stannard
    Chief Executive and Director

Hopefully this communication will lay to rest, all the erroneous insinuations made thus far by some posters on this thread.

ReputationRep:
    You'd have to be very dim to think that a cervical cancer jab protects you from pregnancy and std's. For God's sake, give the youth some credit. And encouraging promiscuity? That's insane. I don't think I know anyone who'd think "Oh I better not have sex, I might get cancer", so this jab won't make them think otherwise.

If it's good for health, then it should be taken IMO.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, I think that the fact that the school is catholic is purely incidental. Either way, I don't see why a school is any less suitable an environment, compared to a nurse's office, for briefly inserting a sterile needle into someone's arm. It's hardly brain surgery.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    This school's Governing Body has not said they are against vaccination on any other grounds than that they don't believe that school premises are the best place to vaccinate their students with the three required jabs.

We don't have flu jabs or pneumonoccal jabs at school...we go to our local surgery.
    We have TB, Meningitis and other jabs already given at school, it's the best place to give these sorts of jabs as it is very effective. I don't see why this jab should be treated any different.

(Original post by Darkened Angel)
    We have TB, Meningitis and other jabs already given at school, it's the best place to give these sorts of jabs as it is very effective. I don't see why this jab should be treated any different.
    TB innoculations have not been given on school premises since 2005. Meningitis jabs are given on an ad hoc basis as and when an outbreak occurs so no national vaccination programmes are carried out in schools any longer.

As you will see from the posts I've already made, this is a public health matter and not one for schools, especially those whose premises are in private ownership.

Additionally, since there is a dearth of school nurses, it is not possible to vaccinate all relevant pupils as there is no one to do it. PCT's all over the country are the ones responsible for ensuring that those parents who want their 12-13 year olds to be vaccinated, are, and if a school is unable or unwilling, the PCT will make alternative arrangements.

I know that lining up 400+ (on average) pupils three times for mass vaccination on a conveyer belt system is considered the quickest way...and a way of doing it on the cheap, seeing as each course costs £480...but there are other considerations to factor in.

ReputationRep:
    That is one of the most ridiculous things I've heard lately, if the person is over 16 (and still at school you'd hope!), I don't see the problem.

It's not about being sexually active, it's about being sensible and taking precautions for a later date, just in case. I think it's a good idea... and yes I've had mine, all 3 I'm one of the least sexually promiscuous people you could ever meet but I feel healthier knowing that I have had this (plus my flu jab) done :proud:

Typical virgo I know :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    And as I'm 25, I just got in there so to speak, so if anything I feel sad that the age they give this out for free is only until 26*

That is mean!

They should raise it to 30 for groovy late developers like myself

*In Australia.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 28, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.