The urgent thread of terrible application mistakes that need advice or reassurance. Watch

JamesBowater
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
When I submitted one of my essays for SPS my politics teacher put the date as really recent, god knows why, when I wrote it last year for AS and it had the date in the header... Will this be a problem?

Please Quote me if your replying to me.

Thanks.
Yasmin18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by JamesBowater)
When I submitted one of my essays for SPS my politics teacher put the date as really recent, god knows why, when I wrote it last year for AS and it had the date in the header... Will this be a problem?

Please Quote me if your replying to me.

Thanks.
I dotn think it will, I did the same.
I have written it for AS english language, but that teacher just filled out the cover sheet some weeks before the deadline from cambridge.
why should it be a problem? (maybe I didnt undersatnd your question)
JamesBowater
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Yasmin18)
I dotn think it will, I did the same.
I have written it for AS english language, but that teacher just filled out the cover sheet some weeks before the deadline from cambridge.
why should it be a problem? (maybe I didnt undersatnd your question)
The cover sheet asked for the date it was completed and he put recently, whereas it was last year. But i suppose they can see that from the date in the header so they will know I guess.
Tyler Durden
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Very worried now, are there any issues with sending a piece of coursework in to the college? It was marked internally by my teacher who is an examiner, and also checked externally by the exam board. I sent the coursework off with the marking sheet attatched to the back. I know the piece of work well and will be reading it over and over again for the next few weeks. Are there any potential issues with sending in a piece of coursework as opposed to a class essay? The coursework was by far my best piece of work, so i thought it was a no brainer, but now i am anxious - any legal/policy issues? I sent it in about 2 weeks ago, and received an invitation to interview today. Should it be a problem? Has anyone else sent in a piece of coursework?
The West Wing
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yes it's fine.
Renaissance_boy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Chill I did the same thing too for...was my best piece of work, and written entirely from independent research, so I don't see why Cambridge would mind!
Peace Bunny
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hi guys,

Today I got a letter from Cambridge asking for two pieces of coursework by 1/12. However, I have only ever done one piece of coursework at A-level standard, so I am faced with a problem.

Firstly, do they mean 'coursework', IE work that is credited, or possibly 'work from my course', which could be any essay?

Secondly, if they do mean 'coursework', do I fabricate one, or ask them if they will just accept one?

cheers guys
Original Legend
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ring them
poossum
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Are you sure the letter said coursework? Or simply written work, like it has for everyone I know applying and myself, in which case you can send any marked essay.
Agneisse
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Coursework probably means 'work you have done while on your course' (that have been marked by a teacher) as opposed to work submitted to A Level examiners for a mark, and it is perfectly acceptable to send AS essays. Also someone on the Cambridge forum who simply did not have enough pieces of work to submit rang the college and they either had their requirements waived or were set an essay title to work on. So, contact them if you're unsure, and I'm sure they'll be helpful
Craghyrax
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
For SPS I had to submit three essays that had been marked by my school/college (which is probably what they mean for you) I only had AS and A2 coursework essays for E.Lit as my other two A levels were Biology and Chemistry. I emailed them, and they set an essay title for me, and gave me three weeks to write it.
thomas49th
Report 10 years ago
I'm unbelievable. I got the letters and the forms thinking is there anything I need to send here. I missed the sentence on the white letter saying I need to SEND the green form, signed back. Even though just two days I was asking myself why havn't I got a letter yet and I looked through my stuff to see if i needed to send anything off. I couldn't believe it!

THANK GOD I clicked onto this thread. Stricken with panic I rung up jesus college about 5:30 and apologized and asked if I can scan and send it through email which they said was fine. I started to ask whether it would put an interview offer at risk but the lady said no which is good

Thanks for this thread!
Craghyrax
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by thomas49th)
I'm unbelievable. I got the letters and the forms thinking is there anything I need to send here. I missed the sentence on the white letter saying I need to SEND the green form, signed back. Even though just two days I was asking myself why havn't I got a letter yet and I looked through my stuff to see if i needed to send anything off. I couldn't believe it!

THANK GOD I clicked onto this thread. Stricken with panic I rung up jesus college about 5:30 and apologized and asked if I can scan and send it through email which they said was fine. I started to ask whether it would put an interview offer at risk but the lady said no which is good

Thanks for this thread!
Aw
fco1922
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I am in my second year reading Economics at St John's. I applied and got in after having attended an international school in London. I did only American AP exams and got 3 5's and a 4. This is interesting because three years earlier my brother applied to read Economics at Trinity Hall. He attended a well known independent school in London and had a string of A* grades. He got rejected following his interview. (He went on to LSE and is now doing his postgrad degree at Cambridge!). I've met a number of students from international schools in the UK and Europe and it does seem that the university is seeking to broaden its intake. At the end, it is the director of studies who really decides!
sTucker
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Not so much a mistake, but...

I'm thinking of changing one of the modules I'm doing for AS Further Maths - Mechanics 3 rather than Further Pure 2. Do I need to let the university know? If so, how?
Craghyrax
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by sTucker)
Not so much a mistake, but...

I'm thinking of changing one of the modules I'm doing for AS Further Maths - Mechanics 3 rather than Further Pure 2. Do I need to let the university know? If so, how?
You could email them.
Captain_cherry_tango
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by MagicNMedicine)
Some people don't really have what it takes to get to university.

I mean its the application form, there are simple instructions to follow and if you can't follow them how do you think you will cope at a leading academic institution? You'd last five minutes.

If getting into university is important to you you would check it and check it again to make sure its right.
Perhaps the uni is looking for people with a grasp of simple punctuation

Not an attack really sorry, but you know, 'Let him who is free of sin throw the first stone' and all that. Everyone makes mistakes.
MagicNMedicine
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Thats true, but when things are important you check them. I might make the odd mistake on an internet forum but if it was an important form I'd check it.

The 'everyone makes mistakes' attitude gets you nowhere when things are important - if you apply for competitive graduate schemes, what do you think they are going to say if you don't follow the instructions you are given. It just shows that you are careless and can't follow instructions.

People who've made UCAS **** ups need to learn the hard lesson now, massaging their egos by telling them 'there, there, it doesn't really matter' isn't going to help them.
FadedJade
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
:ditto: I completely agree
misswilliams
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by MagicNMedicine)
Thats true, but when things are important you check them. I might make the odd mistake on an internet forum but if it was an important form I'd check it.

The 'everyone makes mistakes' attitude gets you nowhere when things are important - if you apply for competitive graduate schemes, what do you think they are going to say if you don't follow the instructions you are given. It just shows that you are careless and can't follow instructions.

People who've made UCAS **** ups need to learn the hard lesson now, massaging their egos by telling them 'there, there, it doesn't really matter' isn't going to help them.
Totally agree.

Bit of a difference from posting on bloody TSR to your UCAS form Captain_cherry_tango.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (51)
26.98%
No (138)
73.02%

Watched Threads