EskimoJo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Mathematica)
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...ugly+languages
thats the thread
Man! It's 32 pages long! Couldn't you just tell us what they said was wrong with Japanese? :p:
Anatheme
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Samual)
Absolutely! For someone who has no knowledge in a romance language, French is certainly the hardest. i find its grammar very hard especially. The French people, in general, dont forgive bad French so its much harder to use what language you have learnt in France. Which ultimately means it takes longer
We have tenses we can't even use, tbh, so I suppose we can be lenient sometimes :p:
SpiritedAway
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Absolutely! For someone who has no knowledge in a romance language, French is certainly the hardest. i find its grammar very hard especially. The French people, in general, dont forgive bad French so its much harder to use what language you have learnt in France. Which ultimately means it takes longer
yes, i totally agree with this.
EskimoJo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Any language spoken by a hot guy as he looks at you with a cheeky smile and a twinkle in his eye will probably sound great tbh! Doesn't even matter what he's saying! :p:

Tbh, I think voices/tones of voice make more of a difference than the actually language. Anyone can make a beautiful language sound horrid with words spat out with hatred or anger, and a lullaby sung with love to a baby would make me smile whatever language.
SpiritedAway
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by EskimoJo)
Any language spoken by a hot guy as he looks at you with a cheeky smile and a twinkle in his eye will probably sound great tbh! Doesn't even matter what he's saying! :p:

Tbh, I think voices/tones of voice make more of a difference than the actually language. Anyone can make a beautiful language sound horrid with words spat out with hatred or anger, and a lullaby sung with love to a baby would make me smile whatever language.
unless it's in like elfish or whatever that language is that people mimic of lord of the rings. then you just walk away. :yep:
TheMeister
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by crisl91)
Tengáis (informal, plural), tenga (formal, singular), tengan (formal, plural) and tengas (informal, singular 'you'). I'd say "que tengas una buena noche" (using the singular, informal 'you'). But again Spanish is not easy. I also make mistakes in English!
Yes, you're right. Where did I get that notion from?
EskimoJo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by SpiritedAway)
unless it's in like elfish or whatever that language is that people mimic of lord of the rings. then you just walk away. :yep:
Hotness is hotness. I'm 24 now, can't afford to be picky. :hmmm: :ninja:
motherofpearl
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
By having a Romance language as my native tongue, I never thought French was very difficult to learn. But as I live in a Scandinavian country, many of my classmates found certain French sounds to be very hard to pronounce: in "je", the J was difficult to pronounce (like the S in measure) and instead some pronounced it as SH.
crisl91
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by TheMeister)
Yes, you're right. Where did I get that notion from?
Oh that's fine! Since the 's' is usually added at the end of a word to make it plural, then you probably linked it to this idea. It must be complicated for you anyways, because you just say 'you', and we use both 'tu' and 'usted' to make the difference between formal and informal. How long have you been learning Spanish for?
Snufkin
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by motherofpearl)
By having a Romance language as my native tongue, I never thought French was very difficult to learn. But as I live in a Scandinavian country, many of my classmates found certain French sounds to be very hard to pronounce: in "je", the J was difficult to pronounce (like the S in measure) and instead some pronounced it as SH.
oh what one do you live in? *loves scandinavia!!!!!*

on the topic of scandinavia, danish is so guttural im not sure if i like it or not :shifty:
ElectricOceans
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I find French quite hard to learn but it’s one of my favourite languages. I can pick up German much easier than I can French, but that could be because I find a lot of German shares similarities with English words and for me personally the pronunciation is much easier. I don't think any language is particularly ugly, every language has it's good aspects.
Apocalypte
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I love Japanese. I did 3 semesters of electives of it and thoroughly enjoyed it, so much so that I'm seriously considering applying to the JET programme. I love the sounds of the language and I'm fascinated by the culture.

Due to the influence of my music tastes, I've recently become quite interested in Finnish. It's just so crazily different from anything I've ever seen before, and tbh I'd like to be able to understand Kotiteollisuus and Stam1na lyrics when I hear them!

What don't I like? Irish. 14 years of learning it in school and I can still barely speak a word. The sound is horrible and I found it very difficult to learn.
TEZKesquire
Report 10 years ago
i find french easiest to learn. ancient greek is a gorgeous language, and i think russian sounds beautiful. one day i'll learn that!
motherofpearl
Rep:
?
oh what one do you live in? *loves scandinavia!!!!!*
I live in Sweden! My favourite Scandinavian language is Icelandic. It sounds like pretty little birds chirping.
Noémie
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
you know, after 7 years of learning french, i just really don't like to speak it now. i speak it like i speak english - i dont think about the sound or anything, its just there. when i think about it, it just sounds normal and boring and like all one word blur.
whereas german is so beautiful and precise, it's so exact.
and evrit is GORGEOUS, i love it so much.
Anatheme
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i really love the sound of Hebrew as well.
motherofpearl
Rep:
?
(Original post by Apocalypte)
Due to the influence of my music tastes, I've recently become quite interested in Finnish. It's just so crazily different from anything I've ever seen before, and tbh I'd like to be able to understand Kotiteollisuus and Stam1na lyrics when I hear them!
Speaking about Finnish... I think they have the coolest and fiercest words of profanity you can ever imagine. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish_profanity
If you're into that stuff, I mean
Anatheme
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Speaking about Finnish... I think they have the coolest and fiercest words of profanity you can ever imagine. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish_profanity
If you're into that stuff, I mean
Mmmh, Norwegian is pretty good at this game :p:
EDIT: And Russian as well. It's not even translatable and they have this patois (Mat) and you can be fined if you use it in public :lolwut:
Snufkin
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I live in Sweden! My favourite Scandinavian language is Icelandic. It sounds like pretty little birds chirping.
oh swedens cool, but it has nothing on norway of course

icelandic is SO HARD! interesting though, it has a runic letter haha
gemgem1990
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
German is horrible in my opinon...

I much prefer french ... or even spanish maybe ...
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (151)
18.04%
No (510)
60.93%
Not really bothered about them (176)
21.03%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise