Turn on thread page Beta

Backpacking - budget and what to take with me watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KayleeLand)
    gutting chickens??? have a laff. and you call me a troll!

seriously guys, i have backpacked south east asia and u wouldnt go near a chicken there.
    Whats funny about that? what else are you meant to eat.. where do you think supermarket meat comes from in these places?

And ive not been properly travelling in Asia but i know people who have & they have killed / eaten chicken there..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarahl89)
    Whats funny about that? what else are you meant to eat.. where do you think supermarket meat comes from in these places?

And ive not been properly travelling in Asia but i know people who have & they have killed / eaten chicken there..

they were joking.

bird flu

ofcourse iv eaten chicken there, but its not like u can just find a farm and kill a farmers chicken without him calling the police on you. chickens are not wild animals!

ReputationRep:
    they were joking.

bird flu

ofcourse iv eaten chicken there, but its not like u can just find a farm and kill a farmers chicken without him calling the police on you. chickens are not wild animals!
    lol... you buy chickens off locals you don't steal them.

they weren't joking as i have seen pictures. Plus ive actually witnessed it myself although that was in Africa rather than Asia, bird flu is not from eating chickens exclusively so much as being near them / working or living with them.

ReputationRep:
    Still continuing on the off-topic theme, but...

My experience of 'backpacking' has involved going to some fairly out-of-the-way places where, fortunately, you can't buy ready-sliced cheese from supermarkets... :rolleyes: When in China this summer we weren't allowed to eat fruit without taking the skin off for health reasons (water isn't very clean in certain areas etc.). We'd have been a bit buggered if we hadn't had a 2-inch swiss knife each. From time to time we also had jam to spread on rolls; how do you spread jam without a knife? If cooking for yourself, how do you cut up stuff for cooking without a knife?

However, from what the OP said I don't think they'll be necessarily needing a pen-knife, although they are useful e.g. for cutting up fruit on train journeys even... :p: Anyway, what else should you take?

- A Lonely Planet guide book, great for looking up stuff to do if you have a 'free' day.

- A photocopy of your passport page and possibly a waist-belt for your money and passport.

- Two different sized bags (you can get some rucksacks which split into two rucksacks, actually, one small and one big) so that when you're sightseeing you just have a small bag for your day-to-day necessities.

- If you're gonna be in less hygenic areas, antibacterial hand-gel; requires no water but you need to clean the gunk off with proper soap from time to time!

- Reading material for long journeys!!

- A diary. You wouldn't want to forget anything that happens!

- A camera.

Those would probably be my top items to take. Hope that helps!!

Plus - r.e. the rucksack thing, if you're planning to go backpacking again in the future, I'd advise getting a fairly good-quality rucksack, even if it costs a bit more - go into the shop and ask to try it on, check that it's comfortable. I'd go for probably a bit larger than 70 L, maybe 80L plus.

And enjoy it!!!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    gutting chickens??? have a laff. and you call me a troll!

seriously guys, i have backpacked south east asia and u wouldnt go near a chicken there.
    I can't help but notice that every time something is mentioned be it chickens or knife use you pull a random country out of nowhere and say 'well I wouldn't need it here!' which I think you're trying to use as an example of never needing it anywhere.

If you're backpacking you need a knife. If you're camping you need a knife and twine too probably. If you're backpacking then chances are sliced cheese isn't going to be available and it is completely nonsense when it comes to a place where local cheeses are heavenly.

And if you're going to shout down at people claiming that they aren't 'hardcore' then how the heck did you manage to travel to hardcore places in just your flip-flops? My girl guide expeditions sound more hardcore than your flip-flop wearing, sliced cheese eating, no twine using adventures.

OP: A good bag is vital. Your plan should mostly involve searching individual airlines/trains/coaches etc to find the best methods of travelling. Once you've figure that part out then piece together accommodation. If possible avoid travelling at the weekends or during peak times as that'll keep your costs down greatly. And don't forget a knife!

ReputationRep:
    lol... you buy chickens off locals you don't steal them.

they weren't joking as i have seen pictures. Plus ive actually witnessed it myself although that was in Africa rather than Asia, bird flu is not from eating chickens exclusively so much as being near them / working or living with them.

yeh but ur guna get it if your r guna kill a chicken derrrrrrrr

im not joking as iv been there.

you cant just buy a live chicken from a local, whos native tongue you dont speak. be real.

no one is guna kill a chicken on holiday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snoogy)
    I can't help but notice that every time something is mentioned be it chickens or knife use you pull a random country out of nowhere and say 'well I wouldn't need it here!' which I think you're trying to use as an example of never needing it anywhere.

If you're backpacking you need a knife. If you're camping you need a knife and twine too probably. If you're backpacking then chances are sliced cheese isn't going to be available and it is completely nonsense when it comes to a place where local cheeses are heavenly.

And if you're going to shout down at people claiming that they aren't 'hardcore' then how the heck did you manage to travel to hardcore places in just your flip-flops? My girl guide expeditions sound more hardcore than your flip-flop wearing, sliced cheese eating, no twine using adventures.

OP: A good bag is vital. Your plan should mostly involve searching individual airlines/trains/coaches etc to find the best methods of travelling. Once you've figure that part out then piece together accommodation. If possible avoid travelling at the weekends or during peak times as that'll keep your costs down greatly. And don't forget a knife!

have another laff.

i took my ghds too last time.

im a pretty well accomplished traveller and its not a serious business. no knives, no twine. i dont think id take my big backpack next time - just my wee eastpak.

ReputationRep:
    yeh but ur guna get it if your r guna kill a chicken derrrrrrrr

im not joking as iv been there.

you cant just buy a live chicken from a local, whos native tongue you dont speak. be real.

no one is guna kill a chicken on holiday.
    Lol we're not talking about package / hotel holidays here are we??! I thought we were on the subject of travelling!! and to be fair in alot of places, even the most obscure nowadays people do sometimes have a basic knowlege of English, and even if they don't, thats why you take phrase books, or just have fun trying to explain charades-style that you want to buy a chicken.

Im fairly certain you can buy live chickens from locals, having done it myself a few times, and im pretty sure they were definately alive considering that we had to catch them first and they were pretty feisty.

I think your idea of 'hardcore' travelling and mine differ somewhat - my version would not include flip-flops or GHDs, for starters. Nor cheese slices for that matter.

ReputationRep:
    Just because its travelling doesnt mean you have to look ugly.

I have never ever been on a package holiday and if any of you have ever seen any of my posts in the travel forum you would know that i know my stuff when it comes to volunteering in the third world especially.

i am fluent in three languages and have a good working knowledge of three others.

i dont eat cheese slices, i have no use whatsoever for a knife (in life at all by the way) and love flip flops.

So???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennybean)
    I'm sure everybody is capable of laughing at you for themselves but to anybody wondering, this is not how you get bird flu. Unless you buy a pig simultaneously and all live happily together in a big flipflop party watching reruns of Friends and straightening each other's hair with the GHDs you brought backpacking before anybody gets killed and eaten. On second thoughts, don't kill a chicken Kaylee. You will probably get birdflu.

its not me that wanted to kill a chicken. can you not read?

re read the thread and u will see, i am anti killing chickens. mate.

ReputationRep:
    Lol we're not talking about package / hotel holidays here are we??! I thought we were on the subject of travelling!! and to be fair in alot of places, even the most obscure nowadays people do sometimes have a basic knowlege of English, and even if they don't, thats why you take phrase books, or just have fun trying to explain charades-style that you want to buy a chicken.

Im fairly certain you can buy live chickens from locals, having done it myself a few times, and im pretty sure they were definately alive considering that we had to catch them first and they were pretty feisty.

I think your idea of 'hardcore' travelling and mine differ somewhat - my version would not include flip-flops or GHDs, for starters. Nor cheese slices for that matter.

there is no such thing as hardcore travelling. only silly uppety people who think they must behaviour in a certain way to be classed as a traveller. be yourself.

ReputationRep:
    there is no such thing as hardcore travelling. only silly uppety people who think they must behaviour in a certain way to be classed as a traveller. be yourself.
    Can i just remind you it was you that started going on about 'hardcore' travelling in the first place!! no one tries to act in a certain way but.... urgh. ok. i give up. Just make sure you take some photos on your next flip flop wearing, cheese eating, GHD using adventure. I bet you wear makeup too. and who were you calling pussy!!!

ReputationRep:
    I brought my friends that were off travelling all a pair of ear plugs -vital for all those journeys on planes/trains between countries .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reginaspektor)
    I brought my friends that were off travelling all a pair of ear plugs -vital for all those journeys on planes/trains between countries .

they give u ear plugs free on most planes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reginaspektor)
    Absolutely! I'd also recommend one of those eye mask things - it helps you get to sleep in an unfamiliar place if you are unable to see it lol!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HoVis)
    Absolutely! I'd also recommend one of those eye mask things - it helps you get to sleep in an unfamiliar place if you are unable to see it lol!

You also get those free on most planes.

ReputationRep:
    they give u ear plugs free on most planes.
    Possibly not very good ones - my Mum's tried about ten different types of earplugs before finding one that works for her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HoVis)
    Possibly not very good ones - my Mum's tried about ten different types of earplugs before finding one that works for her.

woah, never realised it was such a serious thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HoVis)
    Exactly. I'd 'invest' in some decent ones.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.travelindependent.info/

Brilliant site.. looks like you've already got enough advice, so I won't bore you with a huge post. Any specific questions will try to answer.

& Kaylee, there are different types of travellers. Not because they try to be, but because people travel for different reasons, and varying budgets.

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.