Good reasons to swtich to Econ Watch

astudent
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
LSE students = 0 common sense (some exceptions ofc)
andy7257
Report 9 years ago
**** off zero common sense it's not the same situation since my degree is inter-departmental but i agree i'm sure there won't be a problem.
ColdVein
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
At this rate 2nd year Bsc Econ is going to have around a thousand students on it
The Dark Side
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by ColdVein)
At this rate 2nd year Bsc Econ is going to have around a thousand students on it
There are some who quit Econ for other degrees. Too much maths is the general reason.
unsung_hero
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by The Dark Side)
There are some who quit Econ for other degrees. Too much maths is the general reason.
Yep, there was a net gain of 18 students last year for BSC Economics, so a few most have changed degree/dropped out.
The Dark Side
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by unsung_hero)
Yep, there was a net gain of 18 students last year for BSC Economics, so a few most have changed degree/dropped out.
A net gain of 18? So around 30 people switched to Econ?
ExRx123
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by astudent)
I dont get why everyone and their uncle want to change to Econ - Maths & Econ are the worst - 1st year 85 students, 2nd 48 lol !
But, there was only an intake of around 48 students for the current second years, looking at the application statistics that were previously on the LSE website. The intake doubled the year after.
astudent
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by El Mariachi)
But, there was only an intake of around 48 students for the current second years, looking at the application statistics that were previously on the LSE website. The intake doubled the year after.
You sure? Where did you get this info from ?

It seems quite weird they would double the intake of students for a particular program over a single year, no ?
ExRx123
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You sure? Where did you get this info from ?

It seems quite weird they would double the intake of students for a particular program over a single year, no ?
100% sure - I applied this year and last year for Maths and Eco, and looked at the statistics, there were around 40-odd first year students last year, and around 80-odd this year. The stats are from the undegraduate prospectus.
astudent
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
But the statistics are for the previous year, hence the data up now is for last cycle etc. So maybe in 2005/2006 there were 48. Strange, but plausible.
ExRx123
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
But the statistics are for the previous year, hence the data up now is for last cycle etc. So maybe in 2005/2006 there were 48. Strange, but plausible.
Oh yeah sorry...there were 40-odd 2006 first year students, 80-odd 2007 first year students, and teh data for 2008 (current year) has not been published. Definitely a double in intake though, I remember lots of people discussing it in a thread on here, which I'd find for you but I'm too lazy :tongue:
RJA
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Can I ask anyone taking EC210 at the moment... is it similar to the macro taught in EC102? Like, is it taught in the same way. Cos I suck at these problem set MCQ's even though I love macroeconomics I'm having second thoughts about doing macro next year
The Sherminator
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I know I am not doing macro next year. Lol. Its either finance or this interesting econ history course.
RJA
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I can't bring myself to do finance (in the second year anyway)...
Thinking of doing AN200 actually
The Sherminator
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Finance is actually a very interesting module. And if you want to get into IBs then quite "useful" as well.
RJA
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
AC100 has totally demoralised me lol! :P
The Sherminator
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
How come? Its not that uninteresting! Its only Economics which is scarily hard. I wish we had the option to do EconA, lol, it just looks so easy :tongue:
username138327
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yeah I wanna swap. I just wanna do more econ. I wasn't sure how well I'd do with it, having never studied it before, but I really like. I actually have really enjoyed the problem set *geek*.... Nah it's really good, and abstract is awful. I'd just rather do more econ than maths now whereas before (up until christmas) it was the other way round.

The reality is, getting 2:1's in ma100, st102 and ec102 puts you in the top half of exam takers so that's a pretty high level. I don't think loads of people swap to be fair. The way Judith was talking about it suggests it wasn't a massive amount.

The thing with the 85 students was due to an increase in funding and so more spaces could be offered. I think quite a few of the ma103 teachers are new(ish). I think there must be nearer a 100 M&E students this year...

man, you lazy put some elbow grease into it.... Hard... Meh :tongue:
The Sherminator
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Fair enough... makes sense I guess.

Elbow grease? I need mind grease man! Its just ridiculous stuff :p:
higdd
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by The Dark Side)
Btw I have AAAB at A-level and doing AC100, MA100, ST102, EC102 so I have the grades and my modules are identical to the compulsory modules of a first year econ student - no problems with those.
Do a-level grades matter? as long as they are 3As.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1623)
79.13%
Leave (428)
20.87%

Watched Threads