To all the non-EMAers Watch

This discussion is closed.
illusione
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Liquidus Zeromus)
EMA is not always spent properly. We should offer all students up to the age of 19(inclusive) discount cards and cash vouchers, and also more heavily subsidised travel, instead of EMA. Discount cards and vouchers which can only be used at book stores, some media stores(some each week, more in a monthly bonus on condition of good attendance and behaviour), food outlets, and so on. Things we want students to have, not transferrable for alcohol spending except in supermarkets.
There should then be a better system to support all undergrad uni students, too, but with cash instead, as they can usually spend more responsibly.
I agree completely, as much as I support the government giving people the financial means to stay in education, I can only think of one person who genuinely needs her EMA and uses it for what it's intended.
ScottyLP
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I receive EMA, and I'm telling you, I'd rather my household income was over the cut off point.

I have friends who don't receive EMA, and one of them was just short of the cut off point, but lived in a house with 3 cars (all taxed and insured) went to the states in February (for 1 week) and August (for 3 weeks) both in different locations. Went out almost every weekend (not just partying, but shopping etc) and well, lived a pretty comfortable lifestyle considering their income was merely hundreds short of the allowance. They're also having their driving lessons paid for. All without a job may I add.

And yet they ***** about it loads. I'd rather have their benefits (ie holidays/driving) than having £30.

Also, people who fraud the system piss me off, as they give legitimate people (like myself) a bad reputation.
la.de.da
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I don't get EMA and I don't get car insurance, a car and lessons paid for, or £50 coats!! Get your facts right. I don't know anyone who gets EMA, that actualy needs it. It sounds stupid but one of my friends who gets full EMA got laptop worth a grand, rockband a camera for xmas and gets 20pound pocket money aswell. Does she need EMA? I don't think so.

When I move out in to a flat with my friends, I get EMA, so I'm not complaining.
Lara C.
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Adampolar)
Funny how all EMAers seem to think they would actually starve to death without it. Pot, kettle, whatever. All in all it is sad to act like you depend on a bit of money from the government when you actually don't.
so your saying a family with a household income of less than 20k a year dont need the extra help to pay for a 16-18 year old to study full time in college?
snowysnowflakes
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by bex285)
You deserve it, but that doesn't mean everyone who gets it deserves it.
I don't get a penny because my dad is self-employed, and yeah I get nice things every now and again but I have been working since I was 13. Yeah, some people may stereotype people who receive EMA but that's based on the (large number, in my school at least) who only stay on after fourth year in order to receive their £30 a week. You, on the other hand, have stereotyped the people who don't qualify. You're just as bad, tbh.

Hear, Hear, i didn't get EMA when i was at college and i wasn't sterotypical abour people who did, some get it some don't end of.
Rock n Roll
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
For those people who don't get ema but seem to live a life where their parents barely cook them a meal each day, where the **** do their parents wages go?
dannicottell
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
if the money is used properly then yes. everyone i know who gets EMA uses it on going on the lash at weekends...
Adampolar
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Lara C.)
so your saying a family with a household income of less than 20k a year dont need the extra help to pay for a 16-18 year old to study full time in college?
They fed you before, what's the difference? You could get a job to pay for college expenses yourself. You could earn way over 30 in a week and still go to college. People on ema are fine, it's pussys like you who ***** about how difficult life would be without it that pisses me off. Man up.
..char..
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You have to be so self involved to start a thread like this. How can you categorise 'non-ema' students to have all these free luxuries? Many of my friends get ema and dont have jobs and their parents buy them their college books, pay for their lunch and driving lessons. However i know a lot of students who dont get ema have jobs who pay for everything themselves. Its unfair that ema students dont themselves have to work for this money when in the long run it doesnt even go towards college??
Bagration
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by orionmoo)
Non-EMA people just see it as "free money" and they claim that their parents do not give them £30/week. In CASH, that may be so, but what non-EMA people fail to notice is all those goodies that their parents buy them. New clothes, all their college stuff, car insurance, booze, a car, big birthday parties, expensive 2 week holidays/cruises to the Caribbean.
They always forget those things and just see it is, you get £30 a week for nothing. I don't. -is jealous-.
Um wut. College stuff I buy myself with my weekly allowance (i.e. money given to me for bus fare and food, which I manage to fit into other things too). Booze yeah ok, a few bottles of beer, it's not like my mum buys me £40 bottles of bombay sapphire.

Big birthday parties? Orite, so anyone on EMA can't afford a birthday party? A car? Cruises? You're joking right? It's plain offensive to suggest that if you don't get EMA your parents buy you cars and cruises.

Perhaps you non-EMA-ers should just stop and think for a second. What do your parents get you. I know for certain that my friends who don't receive EMA all go on big holidays, they get a car and insurance and driving lessons paid for them from their parents, if they lose their bus pass or their coat gets ripped or something, their parents will go out that night with them/the next day and buy them a new £50 coat (and I don't live in s posh southern city either - I live near liverpool!) I receive £30 EMA and I need it. It paid for my driving lessons last year, it pays for my lunch in college, all the folders, pens (which run out VERY quickly and cost a fiver for 3! [those gel impact ones from partners/rymans]). When do I get new clothes? In the summer, and one coat at Christmas in winter. If I lose it or ruin it, I have to go with my thin hoodies - very cold! My family had over £6k in Halifax shares; worth about £200 now. All savings gone down the drain. What about your families? Each parent earns about £25-30,000? Big house? I thought so.
Cool, a stereotype. That's fine. Except it doesn't add anything rational to the debate about whether EMA exists; it's just a bunch of assumptions. It seems to me that you are railing against the fact that people who receive EMA do not have a monopoly on making assumptions about economic classes.

Those are just the tips of the iceberg of what non-EMA-ers forget about. So next time you criticise us for getting free money because our parents aren't as well off as yours even if you don't receive £30 in cash each week, just think how much you get each week in sundries.
Tip of the iceberg? O rly? What more do my parents buy me? A trip to the moon every year, perhaps?
bombproof_girl
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i never got ema. My parent paid for like 10% of my driving lessons. The rest i paid for because i had a job. In many cases people with ema were pretty well off. A lot had divorced parents, both parents still bought them lots of stuff.
thecdon
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
stop moaning and man up
Lara C.
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Adampolar)
They fed you before, what's the difference? You could get a job to pay for college expenses yourself. You could earn way over 30 in a week and still go to college. People on ema are fine, it's pussys like you who ***** about how difficult life would be without it that pisses me off. Man up.
theres a big difference because the cost of living becomes alot more the older you get. phones, travel, clothes are more expensive, social life, etc etc. you dont normally need to pay for those things when your 10 years old!

and btw, im nearly 21, at uni. which i pay for with loans and a summer job. and i have two cars. its been a long time since i was at college! im just adding my contribution to the thread!
stephyrose23
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I understand what you are saying but you can't by any means tar all of us non-EMAers with the same brush.

My parents are only £100 over the limit for me to get EMA, but because their earnings are marginally higher, we are no better for it.
I have two other siblings - I am 19 and my sister is 17 and my brother is 15. We are all at an expensive age for my parents, and although we all have jobs my parents are still forking out loads on electricity, food, petrol etc.

An extra ten pounds or so would come in so handy - it costs me £20 a week just to get to college every week.

One of my friends, her parents were separated and her Dad had a really well paid job. This girl has got everything - clothes, iPhone, laptop, piano, car etc but her Mum declared herself as a single parent so this girl got £30 a week for just doing nothing.
And lets not forget about the £100 bonuses.
That eventually paid for her driving lessons and insurance - not the car, Daddy bought that. What about me? I would've liked driving lessons and a car. What makes me any different to her?

And she wasn't the only person I knew who was like that.

The system isn't fair. We either all get it, or we don't.
Lady_Darkness
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I had a part time job at that age so that I didn't have to rely on my parents. What's stopping the EMAers going down the same path? Or why not ask those getting EMA to spend a bit of time doing work in the community each week for the money?

Yes, I do see it as money for nothing. Sure, I accept that some people need the money to continue their education, but I don't think it should just be handed out. Particularly bearing in mind that some people who get it don't need it, and some people who could do with the money fall just above the threshold.
Orichalon
Badges: 7
Report 9 years ago
education isn't a right, why should the government (and my parents for that matter) pay high taxes so people can simply get an unnecessary £30 a week - I mean, it paid for your driving lessons!

However, for those who really do need it and want to learn I agree that free stationary/books/travel or something like that should be given out.
Deyn_08
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
EMA. A grant of (upto-) £30 a week from the government to support your studies in college or further training (even if that may go towards booze).

Non-EMA people just see it as "free money" and they claim that their parents do not give them £30/week. In CASH, that may be so, but what non-EMA people fail to notice is all those goodies that their parents buy them. New clothes, all their college stuff, car insurance, booze, a car, big birthday parties, expensive 2 week holidays/cruises to the Caribbean.
They always forget those things and just see it is, you get £30 a week for nothing. I don't. -is jealous-.

Perhaps you non-EMA-ers should just stop and think for a second. What do your parents get you. I know for certain that my friends who don't receive EMA all go on big holidays, they get a car and insurance and driving lessons paid for them from their parents, if they lose their bus pass or their coat gets ripped or something, their parents will go out that night with them/the next day and buy them a new £50 coat (and I don't live in s posh southern city either - I live near liverpool!) I receive £30 EMA and I need it. It paid for my driving lessons last year, it pays for my lunch in college, all the folders, pens (which run out VERY quickly and cost a fiver for 3! [those gel impact ones from partners/rymans]). When do I get new clothes? In the summer, and one coat at Christmas in winter. If I lose it or ruin it, I have to go with my thin hoodies - very cold! My family had over £6k in Halifax shares; worth about £200 now. All savings gone down the drain. What about your families? Each parent earns about £25-30,000? Big house? I thought so.

Those are just the tips of the iceberg of what non-EMA-ers forget about. So next time you criticise us for getting free money because our parents aren't as well off as yours even if you don't receive £30 in cash each week, just think how much you get each week in sundries.

well said. To get ema , your income needs to be below a certain amount. You basically need to be poor.
Bagration
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Btw guess what, life isn't fair. Because some people can afford to go out every weekend and can afford a car is relevant only to you if you are superficial and jealous. People live better lives than others. That's a fact.
Jordan-Aimee
Report 9 years ago
Same here , I dont get EMA at all and my parents dont earn that much over the limit.
And my friends spend their ema on moblie phones and adidas superstars ! :O?

The system isnt at all fair , my nan want to write a letter about it to someone.

And what makes it worse is that every other word that comes out of my head of year mouth is ema , ema , ema and how much attendance is needed get their money blah blah !

And that leaves me like well why should i go to registration and silly key skills lessons when i dont get ema !!!

I do go to school like a good girl tho
Preasure
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Have you tried looking for jobs. They don't want people who did ok in their GCSEs and get As at A Level. They want failures who they can mold into shape. I don't know what the job situation is like in the south, but I've been trying since leaving year 11 for a job, and it is IMPOSSIBLE to get one.
It's actually because employers don't want someone for a permenant position with no experience and who they think is going to leave and go to college/uni - they'd rather hire someone they think will stay long term. or perhaps your attitude just puts them off?

I never got EMA - I worked for my money and I'm proud of it. Now I'm at uni I do get some financial help from home but my parents do it to reward me for working 9 hours a day 5 days a week all summer, and on the condition that I'll continue to support myself as much as possible. You're not entitled to the moral highground just because your family isn't stinking rich.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (108)
19.78%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (222)
40.66%
Nope, not that interesting (216)
39.56%

Watched Threads