Times High Fliers 09 - Official top 20 most targeted uni's announced Watch

estel
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Nah, there aren't enough careers emails.
mathematics91
Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Captain Biggles)
Quite happy to see Glasgow is up there amongst the best of 'em.
:ditto:
poossum
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Manchester and London are the largest, and yet still pretty targeted, maybe that is why they are slightly overrated on this list. If Manchester was reduced to the size of cambridge say, it would prob more likely be around 10.
ChemistBoy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Frodz)
It is not just careers fairs, it's "special events" and all "on campus" recruitment drives.
Still, these are generally by invite.

I would have agreed with this assessment, especially since both Manchester and Nottingham do well, except for the fact that if size was a prime factor why is Durham up there?
Durham spend a lot of money on their careers department?
River85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Frodz)
except for the fact that if size was a prime factor why is Durham up there?
Fair point, probably tradition. Size isn't the only factor. It also depends on quality of the university's graduates and programmes. Tradition also plays a role (it's always very well targeted in law and a few other select areas, reasonably targeted in IB).

(Original post by ChemistBoy)
Durham spend a lot of money on their careers department?
I don't think they do, actually. I don't have a great deal of personal experience with them but I've always had the impression it's not particularly great and a few (I stress, a few) others share my view. That said, my experience is limited to Durham so I can't really compare them to other unis. We get plenty of emails about career fairs. I think it comes down to the quality of their graduates and tradition more than having a strong, well funded careers service. But, like I said, I can't compare and just talking about some vague impression here. Probably talking crap.
ChemistBoy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by River85)
I don't think they do, actually. I don't have a great deal of personal experience with them but I've always had the impression it's not particularly great and a few (I stress, a few) others share my view. That said, my experience is limited to Durham so I can't really compare them to other unis. We get plenty of emails about career fairs. I think it comes down to the quality of their graduates and tradition more than having a strong, well funded careers service. But, like I said, I can't compare and just talking about some vague impression here. Probably talking crap.
No, careers services all give off the impression of bungling ineptitude when dealing with students - this is normal from a bunch of people whose only attempt at a career is to advise others how to do better than them (I have little time for careers advisors - they get paid too much to state the bleeding obvious). However, the fact that you have regular careers fairs shows that time and money is being spent by the university to organise these things - this is more than in many places.
River85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ChemistBoy)
No, careers services all give off the impression of bungling ineptitude when dealing with students - this is normal from a bunch of people whose only attempt at a career is to advise others how to do better than them (I have little time for careers advisors - they get paid too much to state the bleeding obvious). However, the fact that you have regular careers fairs shows that time and money is being spent by the university to organise these things - this is more than in many places.
Yes, I suppose you're right. I also share your indifference towards careers advisers. It's just a general feeling amongst a number of students but I don't have any specific complaints and there are career fairs (every week it seems). I know one student at Durham who's very annoyed with the university for not helping him get a job. Ultimately it's down to the person.

This was discussed recently. First of all, let it be known that bellebluegraphic is a troll, that much neg rep and only 28 posts (with two year's inactivity between). You can probably guess that by her first sentence. Those prisoners roam the streets at night. Durham's well known for stabbings, murders and rapes at night :rolleyes:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...2#post16521192

Anyone who knows anything about law will know Durham's reputation and how well targeted and represnted it is. But a few posts down you'll see Robbie's dissatisfaction. He doesn't think the university has done enough to help him find a job. He doesn't go into specifics but there are the careers fairs and opportunities for networking. The student also needs to be suitable motivated and play their part.

I think the careers advisory service could so with some expansion staff-wise I also have a general hatred of the awful student union where they're based so may be a little prejudiced. They are possibly a little law and IB focused but I admit that they play their part when it comes to regular fairs.
Inter-Company
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Cambridge over Oxford ha!? :eyeball:
bishbash72
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by benwellsday)
This would explain why I get about 10 emails a day about careers (I'm at Warwick.).
Awesome. It's my firm and I have NO idea what I want to do post-uni. Should give me some ideas lol
Groupie
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well, only the finest calibre of people go to manchester (no bias at all)
jy9626
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Can someone interpret this?
Why is Manchestor SO high?
Does this mean if one graduates from one of the Big 4 london unis, one is desired by companies or firms more than Oxbridge students are?
ttx
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by AfghanistanBananistan)

Im sure people will argue left right and centre about some controversial ranks (esp Manchester), but people these are facts from experts so we will just have to take their word for it.
I'm no expert in graduate recruitment, but....actually wait I am an expert in graduate recruitment.

It's pretty obvious what their methodology was, they went to the websites of the the top 100 companies (based on the Times list) looked at their university event calenders and basically counted how many of the top 100 went to each uni.

For London I'm pretty sure they've just listed the events organized by the University of London careers service as opposed to the ones at individual colleges. Which is pretty stupid and a good sign that they're actually clueless.

But back to the data, it is an interesting question why Manchester is ranked higher than say Oxbridge, surely the "best" employers are all going to be recruiting at Oxbridge ?

Well to understand why this isn't the case you have to consider the data, it's based upon the Times top 100 companies. How is this list generated ? - it's generated by an unweighted survey of students.

So companies that are favoured by say Manchester students are going to get a higher ranking in the Times list than those at say Oxford, purely because of Manchester's massive size. And which companies are favoured by Manchester students ? - by lucky coincidence they happen to be the companies that recruit at Manchester. Hence why this list favours big universities.

In practice if you take a random sample of large graduate recruiters, you will find they do tend to recruit at the traditional top-tier unis, hence even in this survey quite a few smaller top-tier unis do well in the list. A combination of this and the big university bias explains quite nicely why the list ended up as it did.
cheeky_chick
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by AfghanistanBananistan)
Well the credit crunch has officially hit and according to this report the number of grad jobs is well down this year. Just out of interest, esp because of the abundence of 'most targeted' threads recently, this is the OFFICIAL top 20 most targeted universities by the top 100 graduate companies this year, enjoy:

Last years rank in brackets

1 (1) Manchester
2 (3) London (ie university of London)
3 (5) Warwick
4 (2) Cambridge
5 (4) Oxford
6 (7) Bristol
7 (10) Durham
8 (6) Nottingham
9 (12) Bath
10 (11) Leeds

11 (9) Birmingham
12 (8) Edinburgh
13 (13) Sheffield
14 (17) Loughborough
15 (18) Southampton
16 (16) Cardiff
17 (-) Glasgow
18 (14) Newcastle
19 (20) York
20 (-) St Andrews

Here's a link, http://www.highfliers.co.uk/download...teMarket09.pdf

Im sure people will argue left right and centre about some controversial ranks (esp Manchester), but people these are facts from experts so we will just have to take their word for it.
well I am at manchester (1st year) but due to some personal reasons trying to get a transfer to a uni in London...I am looking at QMUL, which I believe is a college of university of London?!! so does dat mean that it is second most trageted uni?
jy9626
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by cheeky_chick)
well I am at manchester (1st year) but due to some personal reasons trying to get a transfer to a uni in London...I am looking at QMUL, which I believe is a college of university of London?!! so does dat mean that it is second most trageted uni?
QMUL is indeed a member of the UoL. But I THINK by "London", it's really referring to the big 4 london unis: lse, imperial, ucl, kcl.
silent ninja
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by benwellsday)
This would explain why I get about 10 emails a day about careers (I'm at Warwick.).
It's spam I tell you.
XYZ events, "would you like to be a banker?" It doesnt stop.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (213)
27.92%
No (550)
72.08%

Watched Threads