Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I could put it down to your attitude. Typical unwarranted self-importance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Palladio)
    I too doubt someone would apply 3 years running for something they've been rejected at twice before which good grades.
    That is why I applied for History the 3rd year I applied, as it is the other subject I really love and I thought a change of subject might help.

ReputationRep:
    If you applied to those five unis for 3 years, then perhaps take the hint that they just don't want you. Try for other unis.
    To be honest, for the 3rd time you applied, I wouldn't be surprised if they just ignored your application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reastle1)
    I kept applying because I really wanted to go to Durham and Bristol - Edinburgh was only the first year, and UCL was the 1st 2 years and then Kings this year. I thought maybe if they saw how determined I was to go there they might let me in? Obviously backfired!
    Right then, so you've had other offers throughout the years. Idiot.

ReputationRep:
    That is why I applied for History the 3rd year I applied, as it is the other subject I really love and I thought a change of subject might help.
    why don't you post your personal statement on TSR?

ReputationRep:
    You're obviously just not as great as you think you are. Get over it.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I know I'm just bitter and I know of course it isn't the fault of minority students, its just irritating that foreign students will get offers with lower grades because they pay more, and that because universities are trying to get more state school into the top universities (which I do agree with) that sometimes it means people like me don't get into the uni of their choice.
    on the off chance that you are not trolling.

the blame is shifted then now from minorities to internationals.:rolleyes: what percentage of english and history students are internationals anyway? have you attended a university? from what i have noticed they tend to do more practical stuff like engineering, comp sci, the sciences, business, econs and law.

the places you applied to are highly sought after. maybe they thought you were using them as backups and its not unheard of for universities to reject people they perceive as unlikely to take up their offers.

ReputationRep:
    Go abroad, try the States they should snap you up pretty quickly. I feel really sorry for you, you must be totally frustrated by it. You seem the perfect candidate and there is definately somthing wrong with the system if the likes of you cannot get any offers. Its ridiculous, you must feel that everything you have achieved means nothing. Im sure you have read your references ect because somtimes brains or no brains that can hold you back. I would cast your net wider and sit SAT's and see how that goes. Best of luck though i cant imgin how you feel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxxchrisxxx)
    on the off chance that you are not trolling.

the blame is shifted then now from minorities to internationals.:rolleyes: what percentage of english and history students are internationals anyway? have you attended a university? from what i have noticed they tend to do more practical stuff like engineering, comp sci, the sciences, business, econs and law.

the places you applied to are highly sought after. maybe they thought you were using them as backups and its not unheard of for universities to reject people they perceive as unlikely to take up their offers.
    ha ha - obviously i am not as good as i thought i might be because I can't even get across what I mean! I'm blaming the universities for not recognising how much I want to go there and how hard I'll work (I am absolutely determined to get a 1st)

And the second 2 years I applied I deliberately applied after the Oxbridge deadline so would be unlikely they thought they were my backups. But thanks anyway for the advice!

ReputationRep:
    I've read the thread and i really don't understand what this has to do with minorities =/

ReputationRep:
    I've had enough of university admissions - just don't understand what more universities want. other than trying to satisfy government requirements of how many minorities etc they take on board. I have 4 As at A level, 7 A*s and 3 As at GCSE and do a lot of extra curricular activities (Have grade 8 for 'cello and French Horn, grade 7 for Piano, was vice captain of the school 1sts hockey, was house prefect, took part in debating society for 3 years, have done a lot of charity work)

However for 3 years in a row I have been rejected by these highly competitive universities, Durham, Edinburgh, Bristol, Kings College London and UCL. The only feedback they give me is that they have too many people applying etc etc - the 1st 2 years I applied for English, this year History. Any ideas of why they are rejecting me???
    Fixed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yuffie)
    My friend is going to vietnam, laos and cambodia too :indiff:
    May be he / she is the OP :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    ha ha - obviously i am not as good as i thought i might be because I can't even get across what I mean! I'm blaming the universities for not recognising how much I want to go there and how hard I'll work (I am absolutely determined to get a 1st)

And the second 2 years I applied I deliberately applied after the Oxbridge deadline so would be unlikely they thought they were my backups. But thanks anyway for the advice!
    I love how you only reply to posts which you can think up an argument for :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:

By the way - what are your four subjects? Did you finish them in one yr or two?

ReputationRep:
    My impression is that you might probably have emphasized too much on your extra curricular activities and might not have justified your reason for choosing your desired course.What I would suggest is that you should have all your entries of personal statements(or your reference) checked in the TSR so that the PS helpers will be able to identify what is exactly wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Markeur)
    My impression is that you might probably have emphasized too much on your extra curricular activities and might not have justified your reason for choosing your desired course.What I would suggest is that you should have all your entries of personal statements(or your reference) checked in the TSR so that the PS helpers will be able to identify what is exactly wrong.
    :ditto:

Most top universities don't really care about ex-curriculars...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by becky.fm)
    Right then, so you've had other offers throughout the years. Idiot.
    i thought it would be better to reapply than go somewhere I didn't want - 1st year my only offer was Nottingham which was my insurance choice - and felt that because I got the grades I shouldn't go to a uni I didn't want to. Then last year I got an offer from York - again I looked round the uni and made the decision that York was not for me (I know it is a very good university but it didn't appeal to me). So yes the situation is partly my fault, but still finding it difficult to come to terms with the fact that despite getting the grades I won't be able to go to my first choice uni.

ReputationRep:
    Then last year I got an offer from York - again I looked round the uni and made the decision that York was not for me (I know it is a very good university but it didn't appeal to me).
    So go to open days before you make your choices? That's what most people I know did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rnshan)
    By the way - what are your four subjects? Did you finish them in one yr or two?
    I did English, History, Maths and Psychology. Also did the English AEA and got a merit. Did them over 2 years, getting 4 As (most of them very high) for AS so my predictions were 4 As as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adilmorrison)
    :ditto:

Most top universities don't really care about ex-curriculars...
    I was very careful not to emphasise my extra curricular activities too much, had one small paragraph about them at the end of my personal statement.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.