?
Report 9 years ago
Get off my thread.
Joanna May
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
To be honest, not going to uni seems a bit silly to me at the moment. It's hard enough to find an entry level job at the moment, never mind "working your way up". Going to uni at the moment seems a sensible idea to me, since three or four years down the line, the job market will have had a chance to pick up again and you have extra qualifications when you do enter it.

Most of the time, I'd agree that working your way up is potentially just as worthy as going to uni. But I wouldn't say so in a recession.
ByronicHero
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Im not going unless i get into one of the few places I have an interest in going too.

Judging by my current level of work and attainment this is looking unlikely.

so i may not be going =]
Planto
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Joanna May)
the job market will have had a chance to pick up again and you have extra qualifications when you do enter it.
I don't really think about that anyway since I'm hoping to leave the country ASAP after I graduate ±_±

Or before, if the opportunity presents itself.
Joanna May
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Planto)
I don't really think about that anyway since I'm hoping to leave the country ASAP after I graduate ±_±

Or before, if the opportunity presents itself.
Same here. But my point is that going to uni now seems like a good option. Heck, I'm on a gap year and I can't even find a supermarket job, never mind one with the kind of prospects that will let me climb the career ladder at anywhere near the speed as a degree will.
J4GGYBoss
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
lol you need to have a set of clever ideas to make it big. Or you can buy them clever ideas from a uni, however everyone will be doing it by then and LOL to the guy who said you can fail 10 times in business hahahaahaha
Robbolo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by aidanftw)
Going to university is just one giant bandwagon, so unfortunately for the minority who don't want to go, 9 times out of 10 the applicants applying for the same job will have degree's. Annoying!
So more of an academic requirement than a bandwagon, surely?
aidanftw
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Robbolo)
Not really, a lot of people who don't really have any aspiration end up going nowadays to do anything really that they 'enjoy' just because everyone else does.

When my parents were young the only people that really went on to uni were people who had to go to uni to achieve what they wanted...i.e to be a doctor.

So now when you go to an interview for a simple office job that in previous generations would really just require college skills, now will have an interview room full of people that have media studies degree's, english degree's, sociology degree's etc, so they're obviously going to choose the one with the unrelated uni degree over candidates that don't have a degree but similar qualifications aside.
rob6709
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
For the last ten years or more they've been letting any half wit got to sixth form, fail, and then go onto some rebranded polytechnic and waste 3 years doing a media studies degree, only to come out and work in a call centre.

Not only is it a total waste of time and money, but without them knowing, it is ruining these kids lives. They'd be far better off getting a training position or an apprenticeship at 16.

They should shut half the universities, and those remaining should be elitist institutions for those most deserving and able to meet the highest standards.

My general opinion of uni to be honest. Yes im at one and yes i have been given free reign by my parent to mess around for 3 years. I just think there's too many average people at uni and employers may well see it was people have wanted to stay away from work for longer. AKA lazy. Not everyone but allot of people i know at uni or have gone to uni because they dont really know what they want to do and want an easy ride for a few years.
Not everyone mind.
rob6709
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
A rather pointless one in my opinion. Your going to end up needing a pointless degree and allot of debt to end up in some sort of admin job paying £17k per annum. Where as in the past you wouldnt need a degree. Incase you hadnt noticed there hasnt been hundreds of thousands of high paying jobs made available recently for the increase in uni graduates.
rob6709
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I also think engineering is the field worth getting into.
Robbolo
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
So now when you go to an interview for a simple office job that in previous generations would really just require college skills, now will have an interview room full of people that have media studies degree's, english degree's, sociology degree's etc, so they're obviously going to choose the one with the unrelated uni degree over candidates that don't have a degree but similar qualifications aside.
But my point is, if the majority of candidates for a job possess a degree, then the only way to compete with them is to also have a degree. Im saying its necessary, im not saying its right.

EDIT: poor drunken grammar!
Robbolo
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by rob6709)
A rather pointless one in my opinion. Your going to end up needing a pointless degree and allot of debt to end up in some sort of admin job paying £17k per annum. Where as in the past you wouldnt need a degree. Incase you hadnt noticed there hasnt been hundreds of thousands of high paying jobs made available recently for the increase in uni graduates.
Most graduate jobs ive looked at have started at a minimum of £23k pa, the 6k makesa hell of a lot of difference, especially since i dont get debt due to university.
rob6709
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Most graduate jobs ive looked at have started at a minimum of £23k pa, the 6k makesa hell of a lot of difference, especially since i dont get debt due to university.
Youve got allot of competition for those sort of jobs so unless you really stand out in your field i dont think its worth bothing with.
Robbolo
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by rob6709)
Youve got allot of competition for those sort of jobs so unless you really stand out in your field i dont think its worth bothing with.
OK, I'll bite. Say graduate jobs has a lot of competition, this means that the surplus of graduates will spill down into jobs usually claimed by non-university people. And with more people entering education, this will only happen more often. Therefore for entry level jobs, youll be competing against people with degrees, and what better way to compete than to possess a degree yourself?

End of the day, a degree increases your employability a massive amount.
aidanftw
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
But my point is, if the majority of candidates for a job possess a degree, then the only way to compete with them is to also have a degree. Im saying its necessary, im not saying its right.

EDIT: poor drunken grammar!
And my point is that because all these candidates have degree's, it's become a band wagon. And I'm saying it shouldn't be necessary, but because virtually everyone from sixth form goes onto uni to do whatever course, it means the likes of myself has to 'jump on the band wagon' just to compete.

I do agree with you, but I'm just supporting my original comment.
Robbolo
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
And my point is that because all these candidates have degree's, it's become a band wagon. And I'm saying it shouldn't be necessary, but because virtually everyone from sixth form goes onto uni to do whatever course, it means the likes of myself has to 'jump on the band wagon' just to compete.

I do agree with you, but I'm just supporting my original comment.
Then you consider A-levels to be a band wagon too? Don't want to sound like a knob, just wonder what your position on this is
Keith_Dave
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm not going to uni. I intend to go straight into ACA. I've already found placements for it...just need to get the required AS and A2 grades now...
Irnbru32
Report 9 years ago
Degrees are not essential to get jobs - in fact i have a few mates that have got their honours and have gone full time at the weekend jobs because the job market is so fierce.

My sis and husband don't have degrees and are both very successful in their field, both by working their way up. My sis is on buckloads of money.

I am going back to education to get my degree now, but my experience and knowledge in the job market means that I have as much chance of getting an interview as someone that has gone straight from school to college/uni and has never really worked.

I don't think having a degree means as much now as it used to and there is a certain amount of snobbery as to the type of degree - some are seen as more "worthy" than others - it depends what you want out of it- is it just a money making exercise to get yourself on the job ladder? an elitist bit of paper that makes you somehow more qualified than someone who has natural smarts/common sense and a grafter working their way up? - it's all down to personal motivation and the reasoning behind it - at least the OP is not blindly following a path without question.
aidanftw
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Then you consider A-levels to be a band wagon too? Don't want to sound like a knob, just wonder what your position on this is
It's not really the same issue though, as a levels cost nothing and have always been a requirement (obviously refered to as O levels back in the day) for getting skilled levels of work. And years ago only a minority who did O levels or A levels went onto uni, the others were able to secure a job with just those qualifications.

Now it's incredibly difficult to find a job where just a levels are accepted, as I'm finding out.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (137)
18.49%
No (450)
60.73%
Not really bothered about them (154)
20.78%

Watched Threads