The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
AND. I got into Sutton but cancelled. Trying to suck up to Oxford to get back onto that now.
Reply 61
**** swine flu. I cancelled a lot of things for this, and I won't even get to go now.

Edit: Just read the email - it's definitely over.
Reply 62
ditto. two open days, oxford summer schools etc. and now nothing.
i've realised this has actually ruined alot of things now i'm not even sure about what i'll be applying for at university, why can't they postpone it? did anyone email back?
t.ket
AND. I got into Sutton but cancelled. Trying to suck up to Oxford to get back onto that now.

you'll be so lucky if they let you back on! i applied for the bristol one and was rejected even though i fulfilled every single one of the criteria

i wasn't too bothered because i had eton! but now that's all gone!
Reply 65
omgmanthissucks
i've realised this has actually ruined alot of things now i'm not even sure about what i'll be applying for at university, why can't they postpone it? did anyone email back?

If you're applying to Oxbridge then you've still got a few months to look round unis and courses to decide what you want to do. What are you taking for A-Level & what are your passions in life?

I've just emailed the guy asking whether there is any chance of anything happening and will update on here as and when I hear.
Reply 66
t.ket
If you're applying to Oxbridge then you've still got a few months to look round unis and courses to decide what you want to do. What are you taking for A-Level & what are your passions in life?

I've just emailed the guy asking whether there is any chance of anything happening and will update on here as and when I hear.

Thanks for doing that, please make sure you keep us updated.
Reply 67
t.ket

Ditto. Sent this e-mail an hour ago:

Thank you for your e-mail. I appreciate the seriousness of the situation, and am glad that Eton College has decided to take the necessary precautions to prevent further spread of swine flu. Nonetheless, quite a few of the attendees have been discussing the cancellation of the Universities Summer School online, and we all feel thoroughly disappointed as you might imagine. As such, we were hoping that it could perhaps re-scheduled to a later date or alternative arrangements could be made. Is there any viable possibility of the course going ahead for us in any shape or form at a later date?
Reply 68
If you know anyone else who is planning to go I think it would be a good idea to have them email as well. If Eton see how much we care, and how far we are willing to go then maybe they will try and sort something out.

I'm so annoyed. Spent time doing preparatory reading and talking about it, cancelled other things in my life for the opportunity of a lifetime, now I'm going to have to start all over again.
Reply 69
t.ket
If you know anyone else who is planning to go I think it would be a good idea to have them email as well. If Eton see how much we care, and how far we are willing to go then maybe they will try and sort something out.

I'm so annoyed. Spent time doing preparatory reading and talking about it, cancelled other things in my life for the opportunity of a lifetime, now I'm going to have to start all over again.

YES everyone please reply to Andy's e-mail to this effect. My friends all said it should by rights be re-scheduled rather than cancelled, so let's lobby together any maybe persuade them to do something about it. :woo:
Reply 70
i.am.lost
YES everyone please reply to Andy's e-mail to this effect. My friends all said it should by rights be re-scheduled rather than cancelled, so let's lobby together any maybe persuade them to do something about it. :woo:

I don't think so, it's really their call, but I will be emailing them asking them to reschedule and explaining just how much I had given up to go onto the course.
Reply 71
Fiasco
I don't think so, it's really their call, but I will be emailing them asking them to reschedule and explaining just how much I had given up to go onto the course.

I just mean my mates all said the most sensible thing to do would be to re-schedule, I mean it could quite easily be moved to another date in the future when the site is decontaminated properly and the students aren't staying there. Of course it's their call, but the nice thing to do would be re-schedule - and it wouldn't be THAT much of a hassle.
Reply 72
I would be sensible to re-schedule. And come on, it's a chance of a lifetime they shouldn't deprive us of something this amazing. Many people from state schools have to use chances like this to be considered for Oxbridge, yeah there are loads of brilliant universities out there, but Oxbridge is better. Eton set up this course and have got a lot of people's hopes up and for what?

I could be on two other courses and have a better car if it wasn't for this course.
Reply 73
:frown: They don't seem to have been nice enough to email me.

This is really annoying. I'm going to boycott Mexico for the rest of my life as a result.
Reply 74
My email:

Dear Director,

Thank you for clarifying the situation regarding the summer school. Each and every student I know that was invited to attend the summer school (including myself) had been really looking forward to it, especially now after completing our AS exams. I don't think it has come as any surprise as the outbreak at Eton has been widely reported in the media, nevertheless I'm sure we are all equally disappointed but think the right decision has been made.

I would like to ask if there is any chance the summer school could go ahead. My plans to attend the summer school have meant making a huge commitment to it, both financial and with respect to time, and I have had to turn down many other opportunities that have presented themselves. If the decision is final I would just like to thank you for inviting me onto the course, even if I never get the chance to attend.
Reply 75
Fiasco
My email:

Dear Director,

Thank you for clarifying the situation regarding the summer school. Each and every student I know that was invited to attend the summer school (including myself) had been really looking forward to it, especially now after completing our AS exams. I don't think it has come as any surprise as the outbreak at Eton has been widely reported in the media, nevertheless I'm sure we are all equally disappointed but think the right decision has been made.

I would like to ask if there is any chance the summer school could go ahead. My plans to attend the summer school have meant making a huge commitment to it, both financial and with respect to time, and I have had to turn down many other opportunities that have presented themselves. If the decision is final I would just like to thank you for inviting me onto the course, even if I never get the chance to attend.

Nicely done there buddy. :rolleyes:
my email:

Dear Mr Halksworth,

Thank you for your email. Given the circumstances, I believe it is a wise decision to cancel the summer school for early July. However, I have made some big sacrifices to come to the summer school, such as turning down various other opportunities (including a trip abroad to do some volunteering) and not booking or planning on going to any university open days during the 10 days at Eton.

I was perhaps thinking the summer school could re-scheduled to a later date or some other alternatives being arranged if this is possible?

Many thanks.
Reply 77
Haven't been e-mailed yet, but sure it's only a matter of time. Will most definitely reply in a similar way, I am so disappointed!
Reply 78
I wonder how the Eton goers without access to TSR are feeling...
Shame about this isn't it!

Latest

Trending

Trending