Bisexuality - doesn't agree? Watch

0w3n-69
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Antonia87)
Well for example, a thread very similar to this was created a while back and there was this one girl in particular who stated that she was bisexual, yet also claimed "I am 95% in favour of guys and 5% in favour of women". That confused me. I have always assumed that if you go for the opposite sex the absolute vast majority of the time, then you are not bisexual. If you claim to be bisexual but then indicate that you would ultimately desire be in a relationship with a member of the opposite sex, rather than with a member of the same sex, that is flawed.

For me personally i feel that my sexuality is constantly shifting. For a long period of time i could be more into boys, then it could be broken up by shorter periods where i feel stronger attractions towards girls..

Nothing in the world is ever black and white, including sexuality...thats why i also feel that hetrosexuality is not really set in stone.

I could spend my whole life with a woman, have kids..the lot, live and die in a straight relationship and marriage, yet i will still be bisexual, whether i've not had sex with a man since before i was in a relationship with the woman, whether or not i ever had sexual attractions towards men whilst being in said relationship..etc..

If i'm honest, i'm more into boys, but that doesn't mean i'm gay. I could spend my life with various boys and rarely, maybe even never have a proper relationship with a girl. However, because i can walk down the street and see girls and think 'ooomg she is so hot!' and feel sexually attracted to them, then for me thats all the proof i need to say to people i'm bisexual.

Bisexuality is something you know in yourself...it cannot be rationalised simply because it sits in the middle of it all..
DayneD89
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
As i said in your other thread on the same topic:

Im bi, it exists. Iv been attracted to both males and females. In fact i think everyone is naturally bisexual, i think it is just social factors, amoungst other things, that make us become homosexual or hetrosexual.
Diabla
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Why would it affect you if people that were bi were actually gay?
nolongerhearthemusic
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by roots)
Lol true but you can go through it and ignore all the abuse posts etc. and you'll have a 12 page thread.
Okay, I read some of your posts. You're arguing that being gay is something people choose, by giving in to some evil desire which they should be ignoring. But you don't explain why being gay could possibly be wrong in the first place. You seem to be trying to fit the 'evidence' around a claim you already believe, instead of trying to come up with something based on the evidence.
roots
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by forsaken_earth)
Ha. I am definetly bisexual. I'd love you to show me how I'm actually a lesbian.
Do you feel that sexuality is a choice?
roots
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by nolongerhearthemusic)
Okay, I read some of your posts. You're arguing that being gay is something people choose, by giving in to some evil desire which they should be ignoring. But you don't explain why being gay could possibly be wrong in the first place. You seem to be trying to fit the 'evidence' around a claim you already believe, instead of trying to come up with something based on the evidence.
The main thrust of the discussion isn't about why it is wrong, its about nature and nurture. Thats another matter.
nolongerhearthemusic
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by roots)
The main thrust of the discussion isn't about why it is wrong, its about nature and nurture. Thats another matter.
I'm just pointing out that the 'evidence' you keep using is really just something you're noticing because it fits in to your own idea that homosexuality is wrong and that it's a choice. Evidence doesn't really work that way.
roots
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm just pointing out that the 'evidence' you keep using is really just something you're noticing because it fits in to your own idea that homosexuality is wrong and that it's a choice. Evidence doesn't really work that way.
Im supporting my case, there is nothing wrong with that.

I'm just pointing out that the 'evidence' you keep using is really just something you're noticing because it fits in to your own idea that a committed the crime and that it's a choice. "Evidence doesn't really work that way."

It does work that way.

So you should never have any pre existing thoughts or beliefs, this is bizarre nolongerhearthemusic. Defeats the whole purpose of allot of things.

The evidence is independent of my beliefs, i don't bring them up.

Surely i have to feel a certain way to argue something.
forsaken_earth
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by roots)
Do you feel that sexuality is a choice?
I think it is for some people. I know a bi boy who said it's more of a choice for him. However I think it came naturally to me.
Tombola
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by roots)

I'm just pointing out that the 'evidence' you keep using is really just something you're noticing because it fits in to your own idea that a committed the crime and that it's a choice. "Evidence doesn't really work that way."

It does work that way.

So you should never have any pre existing thoughts or beliefs, this is bizarre nolongerhearthemusic. Defeats the whole purpose of allot of things.

There's something called confirmation bias.
nolongerhearthemusic
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by roots)

It does work that way.

Of course you're going to have a pre-existing feeling or hypothesis, but that doesn't mean you should then only notice/pick out the 'evidence' that could support or vaguely support what you think you already know.
roots
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by forsaken_earth)
I think it is for some people. I know a bi boy who said it's more of a choice for him. However I think it came naturally to me.
Cool What do you mean by came naturally?
Planto
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
OP doesn't exist.
roots
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Of course you're going to have a pre-existing feeling or hypothesis, but that doesn't mean you should then only notice/pick out the 'evidence' that could support or vaguely support what you think you already know.
I see you're having a few subliminal digs there.

Actually i tackled the evidence from the other side as well, as did other people.

Read carefully.
RJ555
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well my friend was happily open about being gay for a few years, then started sleeping with women too, and now associates more with bisexuality, and hes hardly in denial, like I said he was happily out, had boyfriends etc. The mind works in mysterious ways I guess.
User182034
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Someone might be bisexual on their way to being gay, just as someone might be straight before realising/becoming gay. Does this mean you wouldn't go out with a straight person incase they change sexuality...after all i'm sure lots of bisexuals started out by being straight. What odd logic you use...
nolongerhearthemusic
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by roots)
I see you're having a few subliminal digs there.

Actually i tackled the evidence from the other side as well, as did other people.

Read carefully.
I don't know what subliminal digs you're talking about.

I just mean that in this thread, you have pointed out things which you think confirm your own ideas about homosexuality. But you already 'knew' what you thought before you looked at this 'evidence'.
epitaph for my heart
Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Tombola)
That's not a bad thing. Why do you feel it is so? The whole idea is that they explore and discover their sexuality.
experimenting and exploring is nice in a way, but in terms of sex and relationships the dominant value is love. People should come together because they love each other. Sexuality is the passion aspect of love. 'Experimenting' with a person is not passionate, or committed or anything - really it is vague and not even a shadow of what is valuable to me in sexuality.

in other words I'm damned if I'm going to be someone's experiment. we have to want each other and wants don't permit doubt. Which is why saying I am questioning is a very important and difficult thing to say, as opposed to saying I am 'bisexual' which is a way of pretending that there is no issue - that I approach sexuality in the assuming way that gay/straight people tend to. Quite possibly I want the concept of sexuality to do too much. For that reason I tend not to talk about sexuality anymore, but just about my feelings.
forsaken_earth
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by roots)
Cool What do you mean by came naturally?
I can't remember too well how I thought as a child, but by the age of eleven I knew I was attracted to other girls, in a platonic way then. I think over time as I learnt more about myself in terms of sexuality I realised that I can't deny to myself that I have thoughts and images in my head that don't quite tie in with those of my straight friends. In yeah 10 I was majorly attracted to a girl in my year, and I think she sort of knew. But she had a boyfriend and all my hints were taken in a jokey way. I told my friends about my bisexuality earier this year (I am now 18) and it's all good =)
MrCharmed
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
No it does exist. And your too scared idea really doesn't exist becuase begin bi-sexcual can lead to just as much discrimaation. you ust proved that..
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (169)
18.51%
No (556)
60.9%
Not really bothered about them (188)
20.59%

Watched Threads