The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I thought todays exam was quite straighforward :yep: Almost did a wee dance when I saw spearmans. Its like an old friend... :rolleyes: I knew it would be either pearsons or spearons but had this gut feeling it was spearmans.

I got 0.916 for the calculation. I left all numbers on the calculator.

For that last question I put as the "wide variation" that there was a railway nearby. Passing trains!

x
Reply 61
ttt22
not sure if what i put was exactly correct but it went along the lines of the following:-
very energy intensive for malta to desalinate all this water, makes it exposed to current volatile energy prices as ithas to import a lot of oil/gas. this is a burden on the economy due to trade defecit , outflows of money etc,
the water is becoming more saline which will be bad for agriculture as plants do not like salt. also bad for other plants nearby irrigated areas.
The mediteranean is surrounded by industrial cities- Pireus, Algiers (used my atlas :smile:) and is becoming steadily more polluted as it is effectively a closed system- very little in wash outwash through straits of Gibraltar. also a main shipping lane which adds to the pollution. malta relies on this seawater so polution in its water supply may increase leading to poor crops and no tourists.
the reliance on energy intensive desalination and the increase in popiulation may lead to water shortages - civil unrest as quotas and "down" periods are imposed. also dislike for new migrants.
The large water supply in the past will have contributed to the urban sprawl which has reduced agricultural output and may have caused the fall in tourism

Ah good point with the energy, didn't think of that:smile: Got the idea of civil unrest of water use is restricted e.g. tourists might be more casual with clean water etc.
I said the increased population might be due to people (especially young people) staying and not moving to big cities because there were jobs in tourism and agriculture was more lucrative, not sure if that's at all valid though
Reply 62
ttt22
not sure if what i put was exactly correct but it went along the lines of the following:-
very energy intensive for malta to desalinate all this water, makes it exposed to current volatile energy prices as ithas to import a lot of oil/gas. this is a burden on the economy due to trade defecit , outflows of money etc,
the water is becoming more saline which will be bad for agriculture as plants do not like salt. also bad for other plants nearby irrigated areas.
The mediteranean is surrounded by industrial cities- Pireus, Algiers (used my atlas :smile:) and is becoming steadily more polluted as it is effectively a closed system- very little in wash outwash through straits of Gibraltar. also a main shipping lane which adds to the pollution. malta relies on this seawater so polution in its water supply may increase leading to poor crops and no tourists.
the reliance on energy intensive desalination and the increase in popiulation may lead to water shortages - civil unrest as quotas and "down" periods are imposed. also dislike for new migrants.
The large water supply in the past will have contributed to the urban sprawl which has reduced agricultural output and may have caused the fall in tourism

I said the High Salinity of the water.... meant the tourists wouldn't want to drink it. And it would boost the local economy as they would have to buy bottled water.... :banghead: :facepalm:
Reply 63
rosie9391
I mentioned school kids coming out, larger areas of open green space, traffic passing, people coming home from work aswell - hopefully thats worth a few marks!

don't think you'd get any marks for school kids, the data was gathered on a saturday between 1 and 3 pm.
Reply 64
jimsmit
don't think you'd get any marks for school kids, the data was gathered on a saturday between 1 and 3 pm.

Doesn't say anything about that on my paper:confused:
EDIT: woops found it:tongue:
Reply 65
Geog_Magz
I said the High Salinity of the water.... meant the tourists wouldn't want to drink it. And it would boost the local economy as they would have to buy bottled water.... :banghead: :facepalm:

That seems ok to me?!
Reply 66
jimsmit

I didnt notice that either and wrote half a page about scary mums in people carriers dropping folk off lol. Im feeling worse and worse about this....
Geog_Magz
I didnt notice that either and wrote half a page about scary mums in people carriers dropping folk off lol. Im feeling worse and worse about this....

Your not the only one, the A which i was hoping for is fastly fading away :o:
Reply 68
rosie9391

I went in today aiming for a borderline pass... with a good mark in the exam. First year our schools done AH and tbh our studies were all rubbish... hopefully my issues is 100% and they give me some extra marks on top hehe. Oh well... you get what you work for I suppose...
Reply 69
rosie9391

Same. I hoped that the exam would boost my folio grade up to an A but I don't think that's going to happen now.
Lol at scary mums in people carriers:smile: That's bad on the SQA's part though, the day and time are not immediately obvious.

I've got no idea how good or bad my issue/studies are - we didn't have examples of what's an A,B,C etc. so it's really hard to tell. Both of mine were twice the recommended word count though and I don't think they'll look at that favourably given that this is the first year word limits don't apply...
Reply 70
akj08
Same. I hoped that the exam would boost my folio grade up to an A but I don't think that's going to happen now.
Lol at scary mums in people carriers:smile: That's bad on the SQA's part though, the day and time are not immediately obvious.

I've got no idea how good or bad my issue/studies are - we didn't have examples of what's an A,B,C etc. so it's really hard to tell. Both of mine were twice the recommended word count though and I don't think they'll look at that favourably given that this is the first year word limits don't apply...

I was 1000 words over on each. But my study lacked analysis... coz i only properly learned stats after it was away. It will be interesting to see. I think I've messed up though.
Reply 71
Geog_Magz
I was 1000 words over on each. But my study lacked analysis... coz i only properly learned stats after it was away. It will be interesting to see. I think I've messed up though.

Yeah I'm actually really intrigued cos there's know way of knowing unlike other courses where it's 100% exam. Does anyone know if we can find out the breakdown, like what we got for the study/issue for exam? I know you can for other subjects but not sure about when there's coursework involved.
Reply 72

That's bad on the SQA's part though, the day and time are not immediately obvious.

The direction of the map is not immediately obvious either. I only noticed just now that the North sign was pointing to the right.
Reply 73
jimsmit
The direction of the map is not immediately obvious either. I only noticed just now that the North sign was pointing to the right.

Oh yeah! Does that really matter though? It's quite obvious that 1 is the CBD I think.
Reply 74
our teacher gave us the marking schemes for each section of the study and issues. he looked at all of ours and gave us a rough grade (he marked adv higher for a while) but that only for the study, the issues i dont know. He said my study was a definite C althought i left it until the last minute. I felt my issues was much stronger and the same can be said for my exams skills.....im hoping for a C but a B would be great. He going to mark our studies properly and email us with the mark he would have awarded it.

as far results go, you only get the combined study and issues mark, you dont get individual marks for the issues and study.....
Reply 75
akj08
Oh yeah! Does that really matter though? It's quite obvious that 1 is the CBD I think.

Only really mattered for me because i quoted directions with the assumption that up was North due to the visible gridlines on the map.
Hi everyone! A fellow Geographer here (and yes I know my sig is for a place at vet school - Geography is my "secret" passion!) Sorry I seem to have entered this thread AFTER I've finished the course :tongue: Just wondering how long people took on the study? Mine took ages! Then the issues essay took me 2/3 days start to finish :rolleyes:

x
akj08

Yeah same, especially since i got 87% for my prelim :smile:
My study was very strong but my issues was rushed so i was hoping that with a repeat of the prelim i might manage an A - would still be pleased with a B though!
My study was 25 pages plus an appendix - full pages with text with small grid referenced images to back what i was saying...hopefully they don't get sick of reading it - i thought it was interesting :yep:

Think i lost about 15 marks in the exam, which isn't too bad - some careless ones with misreading the questions though!
I thought the appendix was part of the page count???

x
xFuture_Vetx
I thought the appendix was part of the page count???

x

Nope, i made sure as i didn't want to be penalised for going over the limit.

Latest

Trending

Trending