The Yorkshire Accsent Watch

No Future
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Havers)
Just thought id ask.. any lasses like the Yorkshire Acsent. At my uni audition they girls seemed to reet like it.

Any lasses proppa like it - if so why?

Same for if they don't like it - why?

Fire Away.:rolleyes:

p.s - just realised i have spelt accent wrong in the title. my bad
In my experience... hot
_Fleur_
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I hate it. It sounds uneducated and reminds me of chavs and farmers. Is there such thing as a 'posh' Yorkshire accent?

To be honest, I hate all accents from Up North. :yep:
No Future
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by _Fleur_)
I hate it. It sounds uneducated and reminds me of chavs and farmers. Is there such thing as a 'posh' Yorkshire accent?

To be honest, I hate all accents from Up North. :yep:
I used to think so before university
retroprincess
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yeah i like it especially if it's Sean Bean
FunkyFabulous
Report 9 years ago
I'm from Bradford and the accent sounds awful, saying that though I talk reasonably well as I had a good upbringing and was taught to speak well.

Birmingham accent is hot!! Essex is by far the best!!
kaal1010
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
accent<pudding
calvinuk
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm from Leeds, so my accent isn't exactly "pure Yorkshire," but i'm really not a fan of my accent.

I just get the impression that after meeting somebody for the first time, they think i'm an uneducated idiot, which I certainly am not.

Also, I don't really like the patronising that it's possible to get after talking to people for the first time. For example, I went to a medlink course at Nottingham (put me off medicine), and there were quite a few people from the midlands there, as was there people from Grantham in Lincolnshire.

After speaking to them for a few minutes, they became enamored with my accent, shouting over their friends to listen to me speak, saying how cute it was. At first I thought it was pretty funny, but I quickly realised that they were having a joke at my expense, continually correcting me on my pronunciation and laughing. Even once saying to a group of us Leodensians, "You can't talk whilst we're walking in here, Leeds people, they'll think we're rabble and throw us out."

They were being deadly serious.
Undiscovery
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
It's awful, but I know someone from Yorkshire (jonboyyork), who has a really nice voice, and I think he was raised there. So **** knows tbh.
LOL . True dat.
username196545
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by jonboyyork)
LOL . True dat.
:five:
Lucy798
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
My family's from Yorkshire and im from Birmingham. I much prefer Yorkshire accent because it reminds me of my Grandma!
Beckieee
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm from Yorkshire and it's aright i suppose
dsch
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Failed123)
I'm from Yorkshire, and apparently I don't have one. People say I sound like I come from down South :rolleyes:

How does that work out?
It's called Ampleforth.
xmiaowx
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Im a Yorkshire lass me'sen ^_^ (live near Leeds and Bradford)
The accent is alright i guess My boyfriend is scottish and seems to love repeating things i say , for example when i say " Im off t'shop" :P
but as people have said , people seem to think im "uneducated" because of the way i speak.
kexy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I like my accent! I've been chatted up a few times at a bar after some girl overhears my accent..... I really don't think it's that strong though but I assume to someone from the south it could be noticeable.
blissy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Some bits are adorable, mostly it's dire.

A partner with a Yorkshire twinge = cute.
A mother-in-law with a broad Yorkshire accent = cringe.
Teigan
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I love it. It's definitely my favourite Northern accent; I think it sounds really cute.
blinkbelle
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by calvinuk)
I'm from Leeds, so my accent isn't exactly "pure Yorkshire," but i'm really not a fan of my accent.

I just get the impression that after meeting somebody for the first time, they think i'm an uneducated idiot, which I certainly am not.

Also, I don't really like the patronising that it's possible to get after talking to people for the first time. For example, I went to a medlink course at Nottingham (put me off medicine), and there were quite a few people from the midlands there, as was there people from Grantham in Lincolnshire.

After speaking to them for a few minutes, they became enamored with my accent, shouting over their friends to listen to me speak, saying how cute it was. At first I thought it was pretty funny, but I quickly realised that they were having a joke at my expense, continually correcting me on my pronunciation and laughing. Even once saying to a group of us Leodensians, "You can't talk whilst we're walking in here, Leeds people, they'll think we're rabble and throw us out."

They were being deadly serious.
It's Leodians actually...

I agree about the prejudices against the accent being irritating. On my first day at Uni I was asked if I carry a knife (WTF?!) and made fun of numerous times.
TBH I don't care if people like it/dislike it, as long as they keep their prejudices to themselves and don't prejudge me based on my accent.

I personally love having a regional accent, especially one from Yorkshire. I'm very proud of where I come from, and my accent is a part of that. I love all regional accents, and don't prejudge anyone based on their voice
xxx
calvinuk
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by blinkbelle)
It's Leodians actually...

I agree about the prejudices against the accent being irritating. On my first day at Uni I was asked if I carry a knife (WTF?!) and made fun of numerous times.
TBH I don't care if people like it/dislike it, as long as they keep their prejudices to themselves and don't prejudge me based on my accent.

I personally love having a regional accent, especially one from Yorkshire. I'm very proud of where I come from, and my accent is a part of that. I love all regional accents, and don't prejudge anyone based on their voice
xxx
Dammit, I was swaying between Loiner, Leodensian, and Leodian.

I would have to pick the wrong of the three, wouldn't I? :o:

EDIT: And how do you know that I don't go to Leeds Gammar School
Cj-Tj
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by dsch)
It's called Ampleforth.
Hhaahaha, been bummed by a monk yet? How many are still in the nick, was about 4 last time I bothered to check, but that was a good couple of years ago. Might have released a few by now...

Yorkshire accents are ok, I dont have a very strong one despite being a farmer, but East Yorkshire in general doesnt have strong accents. Some people pick it up, and some dont understand the words I use, but I get by. Wouldnt want a Barnsley one or a very strong one, sound common. Fred Dibnah has a good accent. Complete lack of H+S as well..........

toddlers crossword
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I really like the Yorkshire accent, although I havent really heard any rural ones...I love the Sheffield and York accents, I have a little cousin age 6 from York and he sound like a gruff old Yorkshireman when he talks, bless! I also like what Ive heard of the accent in my boyfriends home area (north Lincolnshire)
I didn't know people were so prejudiced, thinking you must be stupid if you have an accent. Bit of a harsh attitude
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (490)
37.72%
No - but I will (100)
7.7%
No - I don't want to (88)
6.77%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (621)
47.81%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise