is my mother a *****? Watch

Anonymous #2
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Over lunch with my mum I was complaining about the number of birthdays that are coming up (including hers) and going to leave me with no money for myself. My mum told me that's how it is and I said something along the lines of "what? so I have to suffer to make other people happy?" and she replied "Well I've suffered since the day I found out I was pregnant." I was stunned and sat and ate the rest of my lunch in silence while she carried on chatting away to me quite happily. I went upstairs and just broke down in tears because frankly, what she said really cut deep. She walks past my room and asks what's wrong and when I explain she starts shouting at me saying I'm pathetic, can't take a joke and need to get a grip. Is she right? Am I being stupid? Or was that a horrible thing for a mother to say to her child?
Of course she's not! She was probably fed up of you moaning about having to fork out some money for her when she's spent all her life since having children having to think about others first. It's a hard job being a mum you know so give her some credit - she was probably having an off day or something. Also, you're extremely sensitive if that little comment had such a big effect on you.
My mum says things to me all the time. Me and my sisters are just used to it by now. She's moaned about how we've ruined her life and how she wishes she didn't have us. Yes sometimes it does hurt but I know that deep down my mum loves us as she's done so much for us all. I think you need to forget that little comment and stop being so sensitive!
a_t
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Does she look like a *****?
edd360
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think it's pretty *****y, yeah.
cruciform
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
she meant financially but it was harsh of her shouting at you when you were already crying
llys
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
= joke.
gyyy2807
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think it was probably a joke but you just took it the wrong way.
VanillaLatte
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
well, guess it depends on ur general relationship with your mum ... if its not too great generally, than its just a *****y remark, but if you have a good relationship usually i wouldnt take it seriously
Anonymous #3
Report 9 years ago
You sound a little bit selfish OP, you want to spend all your money on yourself rather than your friends and family. I understand where your mother is coming from, because you basically said that you wish you didn't have to buy her anything. But what she said, was a kinda joke. So relax and stop caring abbout yourself so much.
junglegirl
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
she's a *****.
and a ***** deserves a good ***** slap!
give it to her.
020sophiekay
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Over lunch with my mum I was complaining about the number of birthdays that are coming up (including hers) and going to leave me with no money for myself. My mum told me that's how it is and I said something along the lines of "what? so I have to suffer to make other people happy?" and she replied "Well I've suffered since the day I found out I was pregnant." I was stunned and sat and ate the rest of my lunch in silence while she carried on chatting away to me quite happily. I went upstairs and just broke down in tears because frankly, what she said really cut deep. She walks past my room and asks what's wrong and when I explain she starts shouting at me saying I'm pathetic, can't take a joke and need to get a grip. Is she right? Am I being stupid? Or was that a horrible thing for a mother to say to her child?
a joke lighten up
she probably got offended that you would think she wasnt joking and thats where the shouting match came from
p.d
Report 9 years ago
Joke!
Failed123
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
No.
Daya
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yes she probably meant it as a joke or even financially as someone said especially if she kept on chatting to you after that. But I would have reacted the way you did and she shouldn't have shouted at you. Although she probably did shout because she realised what she said and felt guilty.
BellaFont
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
you are over-reacting...
786AR
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
...she meant it as a joke but you misunderstood it wrong and it now has hurt you but mothers always joke even if it a nasty harsh 'joke'
Blablaablaaa
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
***** or troll.
ConstantHigh
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Haha r u such a horrible daughter
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (459)
38.06%
No - but I will (91)
7.55%
No - I don't want to (85)
7.05%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (571)
47.35%

Watched Threads