Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by :P:P:P:P:P)
    How can you compare a gay person to someone 'who wants to have sex with children'???
    Good point my friend! Thats what I absolutely HATE! Its not the same with women, but when I came out and told people that I was bisexual I was scared that people would think crazy stuff like I was some kind of sexual pervert. I adore my boyfriend, he was endlessly supportive and knew that the fact I'm into girls aswell didn't change how much I loved him. I am SICK of trying to justify my sexuality to some people...ignorance is disgusting, not homosexuality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by armatillian)
    LOL - u are all so ridiculosuly misguided. you all like 2 sit there and say "you are stupid" and you "are wrong" - yet no1 will prove where i am wrong. 2 merely point out a mistake is easy but to prove it shows intellect. as 4 the worthless rubbish being spouted by one of you (who is clearly gay) - you say i am intolerant of otha ppls views and so am scum - yet u make this remark based on the fact that you disagree with my own views - are you familiar with irony.

As 4 ben.s - you keep saying how stpid i am and say smugly that i no nothing - but u have failed 2 once enlighten me with a correction. you imply u have a superior scientific intellect - as humble as it is i have recieved various science awards and have abeen offered a place at imperial 2 study a scientific degree. if you are indeed a figure in science with superior qualifications and you can point out my mistakes then i (non sarcastically) apolagise in advance.

as 4 your moral arguments they have all been shaped 4 you by society and are so tired it makes me sad that free opinion and origianl thought are being replaced with those implanted in you by others.

i do not feel i am "superior" - what a stupid argument - we are in a forum - an open place 4 discussion and opinion you fool.
    It's just that your view of genetics is rather simplified. For example, you've omitted epistatic effects and linkage, not to mention activation/inactivation. The dominant/recessive allele thing is a nice way of explaining some basic, clear-cut characteristics - but you can't use it to explain everything that's going on. I say that you 'know not of what you speak' because, well - you didn't (given what you wrote previously). And, yes, I'm already at university doing science (although I don't know what you mean by 'figure' - I'm not Watson etc. - but I am more advanced than you). Also, just because someone speaks out against discrimintation etc., it doesn't follow that they are a member of the group they are defending. There are plenty of caucasians who actively discourage racism, for example. You know that anyway, though, and were just being spiteful.

Ben

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben.S.)
    It's just that your view of genetics is rather simplified. For example, you've omitted epistatic effects and linkage, not to mention activation/inactivation. The dominant/recessive allele thing is a nice way of explaining some basic, clear-cut characteristics - but you can't use it to explain everything that's going on. I say that you 'know not of what you speak' because, well - you didn't (given what you wrote previously). And, yes, I'm already at university doing science (although I don't know what you mean by 'figure' - I'm not Watson etc. - but I am more advanced than you). Also, just because someone speaks out against discrimintation etc., it doesn't follow that they are a member of the group they are defending. There are plenty of caucasians who actively discourage racism, for example. You know that anyway, though, and were just being spiteful.

Ben
    *applauds* Someone who knows what they're talkin about! Its my belief that homosexuality is not genetic, that it is purely through environmental influences, but you CANNOT help the way that you feel and it is certainly not a disease. I'm so offended by some of the comments made on here. It is people like the ignorant cretins on the board who obviously think they know everything that make me feel insecure sometimes about my sexuality and made it hard for me to admit, even to myself, that I had an attraction to both sexes. The so-called scientist has basically labelled me a "mutant" - which is nice. Thankyou Ben.S. for setting him straight on issues that I can't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben.S.)

Ben
    Well argued – I must concede defeat.

I suppose my opinions have been changed slitely during this thread. Whilst still thinking homosexuality is not particularly pleasant I realise that its unpleasantness does not make it morally wrong – as was said in an earlier post, it does not inflict any conceivable harm upon anyone.

I also realise it was slitely hypocritical 2 condemn racism and yet promote homophobia. I suppose no1 can claim 2 be decent and rational if they hold prejudices.

Althou I don’t like 2 say it I suppose I was slitely arrogant be4 this thread and I apolagise if ne1 took offence.

(althou I still don’t think there is a gay gene or that 80% of men that dislike gays are in fact gay)

ReputationRep:
    Well argued – I must concede defeat.

I suppose my opinions have been changed slitely during this thread. Whilst still thinking homosexuality is not particularly pleasant I realise that its unpleasantness does not make it morally wrong – as was said in an earlier post, it does not inflict any conceivable harm upon anyone.

I also realise it was slitely hypocritical 2 condemn racism and yet promote homophobia. I suppose no1 can claim 2 be decent and rational if they hold prejudices.

Althou I don’t like 2 say it I suppose I was slitely arrogant be4 this thread and I apolagise if ne1 took offence.

(althou I still don’t think there is a gay gene or that 80% of men that dislike gays are in fact gay)
    Just out of interest, what science awards have you got? Just Nobel Prizes and stuff I take it. The usual.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ralfskini)
    Just out of interest, what science awards have you got? Just Nobel Prizes and stuff I take it. The usual.
    lol - no just the ones available 2 me - awards 4 excellance in the field o science from my skool etc

ReputationRep:
    lol - no just the ones available 2 me - awards 4 excellance in the field o science from my skool etc
    lol, I know the ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *SANDIE*)
    I am studying psychology and I saw a study which said that the reason that some people are homophobics is because they have repressed homosexual tendancies.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...ots/freud.html

What would people on the board think about this?
    Sorry but I don't buy that, its just that some people find homosexuality 'disgusting'. It doesn't mean they are gay themselves.

ReputationRep:
    and that makes you think you know what youre banging on about?

ReputationRep:
    where i *** from every man h8s gays cos its just wrong......its not cos were all homos its just cos homosexuality is disgustin.

btw the few ppl who did becum gay at my skool were all ugly fukers who had neva had a girl be4...once they became gay there were smashin guys all the time - its just a case of needs must i reckon.

also no otha species has gay animals as they are geared 4 survival - provin the point that homosexuality is a result of situation not ne lame excuse like genes.
    and bisexuality? is that ok where you come from?

and gay animals have been found supposedly, so youve shot yourself in the foot there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    and bisexuality? is that ok where you come from?

and gay animals have been found supposedly, so youve shot yourself in the foot there.
    Armatillian clearly is not worthy of any science awards. He is ignorant and ill informed and his views are not even worth a second thought.

ReputationRep:
    where i *** from every man h8s gays cos its just wrong......its not cos were all homos its just cos homosexuality is disgustin.

btw the few ppl who did becum gay at my skool were all ugly fukers who had neva had a girl be4...once they became gay there were smashin guys all the time - its just a case of needs must i reckon.

also no otha species has gay animals as they are geared 4 survival - provin the point that homosexuality is a result of situation not ne lame excuse like genes.
    1. Within many other species found in nature homosexual tendencies are found

2. You say you hate gays because it is "wrong", why do you have to hate as a result, surely this is not a neccesity. I don't agree with the way people do some things but don't hate them. After all hate is a strong emotion, if it can rouse that in you when the thing itself has no effect on you as a hetrosexual there does seem to be the implication that you are particualry uncomfortabale/insecure about the idea

3. I don't think homosexuals strive to make "excuses", they are attracted to the same sex as hetrosexuals are attracted to the opposite sex - what's the talk of excuses about? Do you think homosexuality is a way in which evil people inflict their damage on the world or something and need to hide behind the vale of excuses?

4. Grow up, there are some deep dark secrets in the heart of everyone's mind, most sit uneasily with social norms. It would be a mistake to assume imperfect animals like ourselves whose will consits of an odd mixture of reason and irrational passion should conform absolutely in their desires and thoughts to arbitary and indeed temporary conception of morality.

ReputationRep:
    Lol – the lameness of sum users of this forum amazes me sumtimes. I come on here occassionly and if theres sumthing I have an opinion on I occasionly reply 2 a thread.

However ppl like u are on here all the time – and ratha than apply 2 threads u have opinions on – u just reply 2 all threads and try 2 mock otha ppls opinions – I c where all the kids who got bullied at skool have ended up!!!

Your also the ppl who reply to the “am I doing okay these are my A level results” threads with yeah ure gr8, your really mega!!l.a.m.e – Vienna you’re the worst o the lot – g.e.t.o.u.t.m.o.r.e

ReputationRep:

I'm the prince of campness and gays are gays cos it makes them happy! So why does it need to be explaine by science who cares? If thats the way they want to live their llife and not harming any1 then why duz it matter? If it make them happy then so be it why does it matter to be explained by science?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_musical_gay)
    If it make them happy then so be it why does it matter to be explained by science?
    It has to be explained by science so that parents are less worried about the influence that gay role models have on their children. If they are under the belief that homosexuality is environmentally determined and can be the result of homosexual influences, then parents will feel less warmly towards the gay community. If however they are sure that by 'hanging around with gay people' there is no chance that there child can 'contract homosexuality' as it is predetermined at birth, then people will look more kindly upon homosexuals.

ReputationRep:
    I am studying psychology and I saw a study which said that the reason that some people are homophobics is because they have repressed homosexual tendancies.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...ots/freud.html

What would people on the board think about this?
    why do i think i am gay.....Your attraction to the same gender could have been formed at an earlier age(as early as 3 to 4 years of age possibly). First we must understand that having an attraction to the same gender DOES NOT MEAN YOU ARE GAY. This attraction could of been caused by early experimenting with a friend(the first kiss,or playing house),or it could have been innocently done by experimenting with a sybling,or even if a child was molested,or toyed with by someone of the same gender causing an attraction to the same gender. Years later,like most kids,they may have forgot,or blocked this out,why they formed an attraction to the same gender ,but have a lasting effect on their subconscious(possible post traumatic stress).::: Also some children may have a disorder called gender identity disorder,or a sexual identity disorder(definitions can be found at Gender Identity Disorder Santuary.....http://www.mhsanctuary.com/gender/dsm.htm and http://www.hawaii.edu/PCSS/online_ar...l_I_G_web.html ) --This is not the same thing as forming an attraction to the same gender, NOR DOES IT MEAN YOU ARE GAY. Never call a child gay,because that child may think he/she is;if the child is undiagnosed,or untreated or uninformed. Show your parents this web site so they can see another view also,and then both you and your parents can make decisions together as a family.Many children are tortured with the fear of being considered gay,some withdraw from society at an early age because of the name calling,damnation being preached instead of the causes being discussed openly. I can say at 7 years old I would of liked to have been informed that being attracted to same gender did not mean I was gay,or that I was not gay, but i may have gender identity disorder,or sexual identity disorder.I used to rally for gay rights,thought I was born gay,now I rally for gay tolerance,because we can know,but not understand.We need time to heal...(for those that are concerned with issues of transsexual,transgender,transves tite, or bisexual:its my belief that we manifest our own rationality with what we know)........................... ................................ ................................ ................................ ................................ . ------direct comments to [email protected]

(Original post by rschief49)
    why do i think i am gay.....Your attraction to the same gender could have been formed at an earlier age(as early as 3 to 4 years of age possibly). First we must understand that having an attraction to the same gender DOES NOT MEAN YOU ARE GAY. This attraction could of been caused by early experimenting with a friend(the first kiss,or playing house),or it could have been innocently done by experimenting with a sybling,or even if a child was molested,or toyed with by someone of the same gender causing an attraction to the same gender. Years later,like most kids,they may have forgot,or blocked this out,why they formed an attraction to the same gender ,but have a lasting effect on their subconscious(possible post traumatic stress).::: Also some children may have a disorder called gender identity disorder,or a sexual identity disorder(definitions can be found at Gender Identity Disorder Santuary.....http://www.mhsanctuary.com/gender/dsm.htm and http://www.hawaii.edu/PCSS/online_ar...l_I_G_web.html ) --This is not the same thing as forming an attraction to the same gender, NOR DOES IT MEAN YOU ARE GAY. Never call a child gay,because that child may think he/she is;if the child is undiagnosed,or untreated or uninformed. Show your parents this web site so they can see another view also,and then both you and your parents can make decisions together as a family.Many children are tortured with the fear of being considered gay,some withdraw from society at an early age because of the name calling,damnation being preached instead of the causes being discussed openly. I can say at 7 years old I would of liked to have been informed that being attracted to same gender did not mean I was gay,or that I was not gay, but i may have gender identity disorder,or sexual identity disorder.I used to rally for gay rights,thought I was born gay,now I rally for gay tolerance,because we can know,but not understand.We need time to heal...(for those that are concerned with issues of transsexual,transgender,transves tite, or bisexual:its my belief that we manifest our own rationality with what we know)........................... ................................ ................................ ................................ ................................ . ------direct comments to [email protected]
    !?! there are pre-defined ages in which a childs realisation to sex and gender take place. I think you might be saying something similar. but without full stops or spaces
    J

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foolfarian)
    !?! there are pre-defined ages in which a childs realisation to sex and gender take place. I think you might be saying something similar. but without full stops or spaces
    J
    this is rschief49,and what i am saying is you are not born gay,most kids that experience a homosexual experience forget when the first time happened,and if a child thinks it is gay then the incident most likely has already happened and the child forgot,,and sometimes it was done out of innocence,other times maybe the small child did not know what abuse was,but formed an attraction to same gender,and also forget the experiances...most children do not know about GID,and that it does not make them gay,but because people see these children that way and called that,or feel people think that then they believe it and open themselves up to more acceptability of this happening,not the ones that are molested of curse,but these kids with GID think they are gay and may become that and its said 3/4 do...they don't think "i have GID and there are many like me,probably more than 1 % of population,and it does not mean i am gay,but i am different,and i am what i am,and if i think i am gay,and become gay,well thats what i need to know and tell my parents....if a child thinks it is gay,then talking to someone,maybe a school consoler,or parent if you are comfortable

ReputationRep:
    The study said that:

33% of straight males have homosexual tendancies (i.e got an erection while watching the male porn)

80% of the homophobes got aroused.

So (if the results can be generalised) a third of men who think they are straight are actually gay.
    what complete rubbish..

ReputationRep:
    I would just like to say that your argument that homosexuals cannot help how they feel is somewhat flawed.

It is correct what you said, but you have to remember that paedophilia sometimes is caused by a mental disease, just as people used to think homosexuality was, so it cannot simply be used to defend homosexuality and not paedophilia.

Having said that, I do not condone what paedophiles do, I only feel sympathy for them for the utter contempt they automatically gain, even though they might be mentally ill.

Would you pour condemnation on an autistic person for becoming violent when their routine is broken, or stop downs sydrome sufferers from having children. No, as that would be considered terrible, why then do we persocute them, even when they need help.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 26, 2004
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.