Turn on thread page Beta

American recites Declaration of Independence in front of Buckingham Palace watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stormfire)

What an obnoxious idiot.

It's so laughable how Americans act so patriotically in regards to their independence, when they wouldn't have received it had it not been for French support.
    Moron. If he is so patriotic let him sod off and do it in front of the Whitehouse! Like we care for attention-seeking lard arses!

Actually if the tit had a brain cell he would realise that the War was between British emigrants, or their descendants, and Britain.

ReputationRep:
    Ugly American thinks he's clever. Big whoop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stormfire)
    Since you take all the credit and fail to recognise the fact that without such help, you would almost have been certain to fail in achieving such goals. When do Americans ever recognise the fact that France (you can even add Spain to this) was critical to their victory? From individual Americans, you most definitely get the sense that they see the War of Independence as a sole American victory. 'When we defeated the British' is a mantra you often here at this time.

Would you ever see Britain or France claiming to have won the war against Nazi Germany? No, people always refer to it as a victory for the allies.
    *I just read the first page, I'm sure someone's addressed this but I just can't keep my mouth shut and don't plan on continuing the conversation*

Throughout my entire life it has always been made crystal clear that independence was won with the aid of the French...most Americans are well aware of this, mostly because people like yourself ALWAYS bring it up. Frankly, it's impossible to ignore.

We also like to think of ourselves as having become more than even with France after helping out in WWII. If they hadn't of helped us, we might not have beeen around to help them.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know why but something about him annoys me. He's as close as you can get to a real life troll. Trying to wind people up by playing silly games nobody cares about.

ReputationRep:
    Eugh, what a horrible voice he has.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddyman4)
    I don't see the point. He had nothing to do with American independence, the Queen had nothing to do with it, no one alive had anything to do with it. He is as bad as Americans and Brits who try to rile up Germans with the world war victories, which I find incredibly disrespectful: turning a tragic amount of death and turning it into a joke, and taking credit for something that other people achieved before they were even born.
    thank you, I cant stand people who try to take credit for something they had absolutely nothing to do with, it's really no different to a 10 year old telling another 10 year old "MY DAD CAN BEAT UP YOUR DAD!"

pathetic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Delta Usafa)
    You know, there's really no shame in just admitting a fair loss. Trying to say that we were helpless without France really only makes you look worse anyway considering France's track record with military encounters...
    I'm not getting involved in the whole war of independance debate, however this comment is pure ignorance. Despite what popculture tells you (mostly due to that infamous google correction "did you mean french defeats?" ), the French have had considerably more military victories than they have losses. So considering France's track record does not make him look worse, in fact using the logic in that statement, it would make him look better.

About this guys video, I don't understand the problem? Sure if I was there I'd find some guy shouting in the middle of the street irritating, regardless of what he was reading. I don't really find it insulting, he's just celebrating Independance Day, reading out a few words is harmless. Now if he went and spat on the Palace grounds or something similar, then I'd find it disrespectful. The most this is, is inconsiderate of the people around him, due to the volume at which he is reading it.

(Original post by Delta Usafa)
    Actually, I'm pretty sure it was just France, Spain, and Holland. And they weren't all-out wars by any means, either.

No we don't.

Ah, the old "we had better things to do" copout.

If you had the whole situation under control but simply didn't care to maintain the colonies any longer, I really don't think you would have bothered fighting the war for 7 whole years.

I seriously don't understand why everyone has to fight this so much like the loss of the war is some giant offense to British honor. It really isn't. It was over 200 years ago, it's no big deal.
    I'm not British, i'm Indian. I don't take this as an offense to my "nation's honour" or whatever you seem to think. That's just my historical judgement.

ReputationRep:
    Patriotism is a disease that needs to be cured.

ReputationRep:
    Discussions like this amaze me. How is it at all relevant who was responsible for a particular military situation 200years ago? We are living in 2009, not 1809.

Its totally ridiculous and utterly irrelevant. As if winning wars is important anyway: might does not make right.

ReputationRep:
    Ugh, pathetic arrogant attention seeker. He should just go home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kolya)
    indeed, self-determination is often something that we should congratulate others for achieving
    As far as I'm concerned, it is simply a more socially acceptable term for nationalism, and equally worthy of my contempt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanoi)
    ...because we do not welcome freedom of speech in this country.
    Essentially, yes. Whilst we may permit someone to say something, that certainly doesn't mean we welcome it.

ReputationRep:
    If America hadn't achieved independance and remained loyal to Britain, Britain would have controlled the whole world by now. I can see why Americans chose to become independant because they are clearly inferior and couldn't keep up with Britain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craig_D)
    To be fair, that doesn't sound that different to World War Two. Although the Soviets played the role of America; and America played France's role. After all, the Soviet Union did a vast majority of the fighting (they lost 10,700,000 million soldiers, compared to the combined American and British military losses of 750,000) - and the Americans helped the Soviets with financial aid. Think how much stronger Nazi Germany would have been without the losses inflicted by the Soviet Union.

Equally, it was the Soviet's ground forces that took Berlin and caused Hitler's suicide, while America conducted bombing raids. To me, that looks extremely similar to the Revolutionary War - you just need to change the sides.
    Unlike France in the Revolutionary War, the U.S. and Britain actually did serious ground fighting. Also, we fought an all-out air and naval war as well, which nobody truly did during the War of Independence.

Overall, people need to start abridging our contribution to the war effort in WWII. We may not have lost as many troops, sure. But that's due in part because we had better training, better tactics, and not as many people to be killed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isherwood)
    If America hadn't achieved independance and remained loyal to Britain, Britain would have controlled the whole world by now. I can see why Americans chose to become independant because they are clearly inferior and couldn't keep up with Britain.
    We're inferior, and that's why we're a world power. Right!

(Original post by Wenzel)
    I'm not getting involved in the whole war of independance debate, however this comment is pure ignorance. Despite what popculture tells you (mostly due to that infamous google correction "did you mean french defeats?" ), the French have had considerably more military victories than they have losses. So considering France's track record does not make him look worse, in fact using the logic in that statement, it would make him look better.
    Cool down, it was a joke. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Judging by the response of the American's on this thread it can be seen their perception on their self-proclaimed glory certifys that their intelligence is damned if not tainted with blindness and ignorance which they choose to live in and will remain this way, if they choose not to open their eyes and find that they are not the 'world power' they proclaim to be. In fact they never were regardless of what the media feeds them. It also must be noted it is useless to even contemplate a idea that a bunch of monkeys could ever work out who has the most credibility as they all live in their own little worlds where they 'dominate' and call themselves 'world power'. It is tragic but understandable as they are after all the few American's that are blind enough to believe this constucted image that they potray in the media. Makes them somehow believe that they are superior to others. Truely a tragedy forseen by many.

The same goes for some of you British people who express hate towards others when you yourself the one who is the reason for the hate. I hate these stupid mis-informed comments that people make which they gain from (surprise, surprise) the media. How pathetic is that. It is not right to marginalize a certain group of people for your troubles. If you are experiencing trouble in your life then it is your responsibility to sort it out no use blaming it on the government or muslims. It's just pathetic, the reason that Britian is losing it's (British) culture is because of YOU. Where the American's show their love of ones country and include all (No racial boundaries) people of America in it. They don't exclude a certian racial minority, if you are American you are American and everyone feels American.

Whereas over here in England paitriotic behaviour is limited and only the 'white' people are fully eligible to do it. Adaption to current conditions is essential. You don't even teach your kids to love England but instead chose to blame the immigrants for their hate. YOU have to teach your children to love England and evoke love for it regardless of what people think only then will the British culture survive. Calling England **** is **** within itself. England is not **** it is the best country in the world that's what should be coming out of your mouths and everyones who ever lives in this country. If England is **** then it's your bloody fault for picking the wrong PM. Use your brians, most white English people refer to England as a **** hole, why I ask. Well if you think about it this hate that YOU yourself teach the children will automatically affect their brians. England wasn't once full of glory it still bloody well is. Why the heck do you want to live in the past? Why don't you think what can I do to resolve this issue,what can I do to make my England not be thought of as a ****-hole?

Think about what YOU are turning England into with your negative thinkings. Yes the governmentis ****** up but can't you at least do something worthwhile like create love for ones country and help sort the problems out rather than fuelling them? Is it that hard to be optimistic? People from other countrys don't actually think negatively about England it is the English/British that try their hardest to make them feel that this country is **** when they come here by making pointless remarks such as 'I hate this stupid country'. The only 'stupid' is you.

If your going to reply to this with negativity then you can certianly expect no reply from me as I will not reply to the blind. If you have something informative or worthwhile to say then go ahead I am open to debate but mind you I will not ponder about for too long as idiocy and the inability to contemplate the reality is something some do very well, in fact too well for their own good. Let me remind you nothing changes automatically YOU have to do something if you want to see change. In all honesty you cannot critisize anyone until you yourself have done something to make a change for the good. Also the ability to determine from the right to the wrong is a gift as many lack this ability which is a pityful occurance which can be expected from some and I don't blame these kind of people as they simply cannot help it.

The truth is what is sitting in front of your face waiting to be understood.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hibba01)
    Judging by the response of the American's on this thread it can be seen their perception on their self-proclaimed glory certifys that their intelligence is damned if not tainted with blindness and ignorance which they choose to live in and will remain this way, if they choose not to open their eyes and find that they are not the 'world power' they proclaim to be. In fact they never were regardless of what the media feeds them. It also must be noted it is useless to even contemplate a idea that a bunch of monkeys could ever work out who has the most credibility as they all live in their own little worlds where they 'dominate' and call themselves 'world power'. It is tragic but understandable as they are after all the few American's that are blind enough to believe this constucted image that they potray in the media. Makes them somehow believe that they are superior to others. Truely a tragedy forseen by many.
    Where exactly are you getting this information of yours? First off, America is a world power. If we aren't, please explain why when our economy has troubles, the entire world goes down with it. It has nothing to do with the media. The fact is, our economy is the center of the world economy, and our military is the strongest military in the world.

And you know what? That has nothing to do with American mindsets. We don't all just think we're the best country in the world, or that we're superior to anyone else. We know that we're equal to the rest of the world, we just happen to live in a place by chance that has a lot of influence.

Really, you aren't going to find anyone who denies that America is a world power. And you're lecturing people about stupid, misinformed comments? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    It's probably a dare, at the end of the video he goes "can we please leave now?".

ReputationRep:
    I think such and act calls for deportation.

Or sent to the tower of London.

On a more serious note....so what?
    Big deal,
    Don't care.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 9, 2009
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.