Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by menaa-x)
    I know what you mean.
    I would be so much happier if there is an afterlife. And it may just be a spiritual thing, but, I don't pray much at all but when I do, I seem more certain about there being one. Does that make sense ?
    But when I don't pray (which is most of the time) I actually think about it lots and wonder what will happen to me :dontknow:

I don't want everything to be blank and just, nothing, when I'm dead. Not that I would know seeing as I'd be dead. But thinking about it is scary in itself.
    I feel exactly the same. The idea of a spiritual afterlife makes death seem 'nicer' and more of a transition to a better place. Animals dont seem to have the same sense of fear from death and are less aware of being alive than humans...so how would reincarnation work?

I just can't get my head round the idea that our memories may get erased. Just like you never remember the exact moment you fall asleep, why do we remember our lives at all if we never 'wake up' again, since we only regain memory once we've woken up (bar maye dreams?)? If there was truely nothing after death, surely our memories would have come and gone as time continued and we reached death and wouldnt even have recollection of our own lives? or maybe im just talking nonsense. The idea that we turn to nothing frightens me, but just as when we are asleep or before we were born...we are unaware of all this. For some reason my thoughts lead me to the idea of the boundless universe and the whole concept of time which in turn makes the possibility of nothingness such an inadequate end...

Strange.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iron_Duke)
    I feel exactly the same. The idea of a spiritual afterlife makes death seem 'nicer' and more of a transition to a better place. Animals dont seem to have the same sense of fear from death and are less aware of being alive than humans...so how would reincarnation work?

I just can't get my head round the idea that our memories may get erased. Just like you never remember the exact moment you fall asleep, why do we remember our lives at all if we never 'wake up' again, since we only regain memory once we've woken up (bar maye dreams?)? If there was truely nothing after death, surely our memories would have come and gone as time continued and we reached death and wouldnt even have recollection of our own lives? or maybe im just talking nonsense. The idea that we turn to nothing frightens me, but just as when we are asleep or before we were born...we are unaware of all this. For some reason my thoughts lead me to the idea of the boundless universe and the whole concept of time which in turn makes the possibility of nothingness such an inadequate end...

Strange.
    Oh, do you believe in reincarnation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by menaa-x)
    Oh, do you believe in reincarnation?
    no, I'd say I believe more in some form of an afterlife such as heaven, but in thinking about death i've just thought about different possibilites. It's this whole issue with the memory that's baffling :confused:

ReputationRep:
    No...fear nothing but God

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iron_Duke)
    no, I'd say I believe more in some form of an afterlife such as heaven, but in thinking about death i've just thought about different possibilites. It's this whole issue with the memory that's baffling :confused:
    Yeahh.. I don't think I'll get reincarnated as something else at all. And even if I did, I wouldn't know either would I? Because if that was the case I would have been reincarnated into what I am now !
    I believe in Heaven/Hell too - I'm just scared that I might end up in the latter.
    And yeah it's the memory thing that is baffling!
    Cos once you're in your grave, say there isn't an afterlife, how are you meant to know! You wouldn't know. And being alive at the moment, the thought of not knowing what's going on when you're in your grave is quite scary..

ReputationRep:
    As i walk throught the valley in the shadow of death, i feel Hell Cannnot breathe inside of me, I don't fear you."

Mendeed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .:excel4100%:.)
    No...fear nothing but God
    Isn't it love God

ReputationRep:
    I fear death simply due to the unknown.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2 cents)
    Assuming that deadh is an emotionless state - no pain.
    Death scares me, always has. I think it's something that is always going to scare humans because everything about us as creatures are geared up to avoid it. Also, it's the one thing that could happen at any time, and we have no control over it. Having no control is probably the scariest thing in the world.

It's mysterious as well because we don't know what it is. Obviously we can describe it, but nobody knows about things like afterlifes, heaven/hell. The idea of just stopping and ceasing to be is really hard for our minds to get around.

So in answer to your question, no we shouldn't fear death because it could compromise how happy our lives can be because we would be consumed with fear until the end, but this won't stop us being scared of it

ReputationRep:
    I dont fear death itself but rather what i will miss out on if it comes sooner than expected. Im the kind of person who has the absolute need to acheive everything. I want to experience things before I die, because I wont get another chance.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sh*tting it.

I am absolutely terrified.

I don't fear it in that it's natural, it happens to everyone, you can't do anything about it, there's no point making it an issue.

However... everything you can ever know, and everything you have ever known has been through you being you. You can't know any different if you're not experiencing it through you. You can't know anything unless you're being you. So what happens when 'you' stop? Because consciousness and our souls seem like such an infinite concept. Where do your thoughts go?

Of course, your effect on loved ones and the mark you've left from being alive will remain and you'll always be present with them in that they'll always have memories of you and always love you.

But I just refuse to believe that we just 'stop'. Like I can't believe there's ever 'nothing'. It's something I just cannot articulate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gez_09*)
    Death scares me, always has. I think it's something that is always going to scare humans because everything about us as creatures are geared up to avoid it. Also, it's the one thing that could happen at any time, and we have no control over it. Having no control is probably the scariest thing in the world.

It's mysterious as well because we don't know what it is. Obviously we can describe it, but nobody knows about things like afterlifes, heaven/hell. The idea of just stopping and ceasing to be is really hard for our minds to get around.

So in answer to your question, no we shouldn't fear death because it could compromise how happy our lives can be because we would be consumed with fear until the end, but this won't stop us being scared of it
    Very well said :yes: :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by malleablegrace)

However... everything you can ever know, and everything you have ever known has been through you being you. You can't know any different if you're not experiencing it through you. You can't know anything unless you're being you. So what happens when 'you' stop? Because consciousness and our souls seem like such an infinite concept. Where do your thoughts go?

But I just refuse to believe that we just 'stop'. Like I can't believe there's ever 'nothing'. It's something I just cannot articulate.
    That's exactly what I feel. The idea of nothing is just too difficult to comprehend

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BillyBlanks)
    Isn't it love God
    Fear God in the sense of respect....

ReputationRep:
    It's natural to fear death. It's called survival instinct. Everyone fears it, even if they say they don't.

ReputationRep:
    The idea of an afterlife scares me. I'd rather death just be a state of non-existence, which I find unsettling but nowhere near as terrifying as the idea of an eternal afterlife (including one in Heaven).

ReputationRep:
    **** yeah of course i fear death, look ath the state of him:

ReputationRep:
    yes because as far as we know when you die thats the end for you. you are no more. whats more scary than that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmie19)
    I think we should fear in the sense that we don't want it to happen to us- because even if there's a after-life, we know it's going to be boring compared to human lives (more chilled out) and less thinking would be involved
    I love how you say it as if it's a fact... experience?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caze)
    I thought the point was more the fear of not being able to conciously think about anything while dead, rather than the sadness that surrounds the effects of it.
    Well I'm sure if you were conscious enough to recognise your loss of consciousness, you would be very sad about that indeed.

People fear death because of the loss involved, is what I am trying to say. Life teaches us that the feeling of loss that is subsequent to death is something to avoid, something to fear. And we quite simply apply this idea, naturally, to our own deaths. We feel that the loss of people around us is so large, that the loss of ourselves would be even worse. Of course, the idea of it is absurd, but this is the faulty reasoning which I believe leads people to fear death.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.