Turn on thread page Beta

The Classics Society Mk II watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    This is the comic:

Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sappho)
    Hm, have you studied the subject before at school? Are you doing the course in translation? Is it just that subject or anything else (like History or something)?

I hope we can help you a little, but without any info it's a bit difficult
    Sorry if i was a bit vague!

I'm taking Classical Civilisations, Religious Studies, French and English Lit at college. I'm planning to apply for classical studies/Civilisations courses, which are in translation and mostly literature and history based, but i'll opt for language modules where they're offered.

I have plans for what i'll include in the main content, but I really don't know how to start it off. How can I make my statement original, without seeming eccentric?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrookedTeeth)

I'm taking Classical Civilisations, Religious Studies, French and English Lit at college. I'm planning to apply for classical studies/Civilisations courses, which are in translation and mostly literature and history based, but i'll opt for language modules where they're offered.

I have plans for what i'll include in the main content, but I really don't know how to start it off. How can I make my statement original, without seeming eccentric?
    Where are you planning to apply?

Don't worry about originality too much though -- most admissions tutors don't actually pay much attention to the statement, as they're all necessarily quite generic, and those tutors who do tend to use it to whittle down evidently shoddy applicants rather than to make note of outstanding ones. Classics (and class. civ. etc.) doesn't have quite the same demand as some other courses, so you don't need to worry too much about making some grand[iloquent] statement; the only place really where there's significant competition (but still much less than for many subjects) is at Oxbridge, but they have interviews and will place greater weight on them.

Your A-Levels stand you in good stead, and your French obviously shows, assuming that you've done reasonably well, some potential for language-learning. Once you've mentioned the basic stuff like that, you could talk about a clasical book or two that you've read (or pretended to have read, if you're not going to any [potentially embarrassing] interviews :ninja:) -- have you had a glance at anything noteworthy recently?

(Original post by Aemiliana)
    This is the comic:
    Aye, yes, it must be hard to produce a new comic every day, it's no wonder that they're all so shoddy. :p:

ReputationRep:
    If we're on the subject of applications, do you think a straight classics course will mind that my French isn't great? I'm fab at reading (which I'm guessing would be the main bit) and listening, not bad at writing, but my speaking (the least relevant) is pretty dire... Unfortunately the A2 course is just writing and speaking so I may fail that completely but hey-ho

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aesc)
    If we're on the subject of applications, do you think a straight classics course will mind that my French isn't great? I'm fab at reading (which I'm guessing would be the main bit) and listening, not bad at writing, but my speaking (the least relevant) is pretty dire... Unfortunately the A2 course is just writing and speaking so I may fail that completely but hey-ho
    It probably will be relevant, especially for Cambridge, but certainly not the be all and end all. You didn't do very badly at AS, as I see from your signature, though, so I'm sure it won't harm your chances too much.

Speaking is always the hardest part of learning modern languages, takes lots of practice to impress something approximating a natural idiom onto the tip of one's tongue -- it's good that all of that is more or less redundant when it comes to Gratin [Gk. & Lat.]. Have you had a look at any of the classical languages yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jismith1989)
    It probably will be relevant, especially for Cambridge, but certainly not the be all and end all. You didn't do very badly at AS, as I see from your signature, though, so I'm sure it won't harm your chances too much.

Speaking is always the hardest part of learning modern languages, takes lots of practice to impress something approximating a natural idiom onto the tip of one's tongue -- it's good that all of that is more or less redundant when it comes to Gratin [Gk. & Lat.]. Have you had a look at any of the classical languages yet?
    Hardly any, though I'm gonna have a go in free periods when school starts again. I worked through a chapter or two of Lingua Latina, and about the same for Athenaze, but I haven't done much yet.

ReputationRep:
    One day I'll realise my dream of writing a webcomic in Greek.

All my jokes are just unfunny and sexist though. Also MSPaint is perhaps the worst medium to use.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrookedTeeth)

I would not say that the statement isn't actually that important. My advice would be don't worry too much. I was quite passionate in my statement, and it got me quite far. Just be honest, and be serious as well. It doesn't help if you exaggerate, but then if you want to study ClassCiv at uni, you're probably really interested in that subject(s), you may show that. The people who read it will understand, they're usually classicists too

Can someone tell me what they tell us about when to post our PSs in the PS library? Cos I guess I'll publish mine there, and that might be helpful for CrookedTeeth.

ReputationRep:
    I would not say that the statement isn't actually that important. My advice would be don't worry too much. I was quite passionate in my statement, and it got me quite far. Just be honest, and be serious as well. It doesn't help if you exaggerate, but then if you want to study ClassCiv at uni, you're probably really interested in that subject(s), you may show that. The people who read it will understand, they're usually classicists too

Can someone tell me what they tell us about when to post our PSs in the PS library? Cos I guess I'll publish mine there, and that might be helpful for CrookedTeeth.
    Post it after the cycle/when your place is unconditional

ReputationRep:
    Post it after the cycle/when your place is unconditional
    It's been unconditional for a couple of weeks. It should be safe then, shouldn't it?
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    It's been unconditional for a couple of weeks. It should be safe then, shouldn't it?
    Thank you
    Yeah I'm pretty sure. There's a thread somewhere about it, finding it is proving difficult though!

It would be great if you could put it up, as we have only about 2 PSes for classics and the same for ancient history (one of which is mine and is awful!).

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'm pretty sure. There's a thread somewhere about it, finding it is proving difficult though!

It would be great if you could put it up, as we have only about 2 PSes for classics and the same for ancient history (one of which is mine and is awful!).
    Okay, I found the thread and it said I should rather wait until I'm really at uni. I'll give it another month then, even less

Oh gosh, I so can't wait for getting to St Andrews! :suith:

And concerning your PS, well, it can't be that awful, you got into Manchester And then I'm sure it was very good, since you seem a very interested student

ReputationRep:
    Okay, I found the thread and it said I should rather wait until I'm really at uni. I'll give it another month then, even less

Oh gosh, I so can't wait for getting to St Andrews! :suith:

And concerning your PS, well, it can't be that awful, you got into Manchester And then I'm sure it was very good, since you seem a very interested student
    Okay, looks like I might have to have a crack at writing an example one then! Have to say, the thought terrifies me.

You'll have a brill time :yep:

Oh it is! If I knew what I know now, things might be very different. Lord only knows how I got offers! I was interested, but I knew nothing. The good PSes are those that demonstrate their interest through knowledge, at least for the history-esque ones. I mean, medicine could be a whole other ball game.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Lyceum)
    One day I'll realise my dream of writing a webcomic in Greek.

All my jokes are just unfunny and sexist though. Also MSPaint is perhaps the worst medium to use.
    Yeah, I think that would be a bold step for man, doubt that anyone's done that yet.

You should get RosyAurora, if she's still in the ether, to give you tips: she does kickass Paint cartoons! She may not be able to stamp out your incorrigible misogyny though.

(Original post by Aesc)
    Hardly any, though I'm gonna have a go in free periods when school starts again. I worked through a chapter or two of Lingua Latina, and about the same for Athenaze, but I haven't done much yet.
    Cool. I imagine that you've heard me mention the Latin and Greek lessons that I'm offering, but if not, well, you have now. I could help you get to grips with either or both of the languages -- but there's no compulsion, I'm just shamelessly advertising!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jismith1989)
    Yeah, I think that would be a bold step for man, doubt that anyone's done that yet.

You should get RosyAurora, if she's still in the ether, to give you tips: she does kickass Paint cartoons! She may not be able to stamp out your incorrigible misogyny though.

Cool. I imagine that you've heard me mention the Latin and Greek lessons that I'm offering, but if not, well, you have now. I could help you get to grips with either or both of the languages -- but there's no compulsion, I'm just shamelessly advertising!
    I've noticed, she has a talent for that stuff ha. I also may just write a casual, spelling mistake ridden, blog about my research/Classics in general.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zoerjames)
    (Original post by theultimateplu)
    Hey guys, I've quoted you here because I'm not sure if you know about TSR's very own Classics soc? The people on here are really lovely and helpful and, if you're anything like me, you will come begging on here for help with something during the year.

jismith1989: fresh Manc blood! :woo:

Okay, I'm pretty sure I couldn't be creepier right now. :getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    Owh I love this! You guys... so helpful... :cry2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zoerjames)
    Owh I love this! You guys... so helpful... :cry2:
    We look after our own :yep:

Plus, do you know how long and boring uni holidays are? :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    Personal statements are irritating *sigh*
    I've got 7 lines (500 characters) to say something fresh and original about the Iliad, whilst also mentioning Edwards' views in "Homer: Poet of the Iliad" (when I finish it), and that's foregoing any kind of introduction and only putting a few lines for extra-curriculars...

ReputationRep:
    We look after our own :yep:

Plus, do you know how long and boring uni holidays are? :teehee:
    Haha and no matter how many plans we made during term time to "study all the things we should have studied during term but never had the time to do and finally it's the time to do it and catch up and go back to uni in September and be the top of the class" we always end up doing absolutely nothing, watching stupid programs on TV (come dine with me is a personal favourite ), playing games for hours at a time even though they really get boring in the first half an hour (ex. Fruit ninja and angry birds, there is only a number of pig built constructions one can demolish per day and still maintain their sanity), and then cursing ourselves before we go to bed because we did nothing again, and omg there are only 4/3/2/1 week(s) left till uni starts again and if possible we know even less than we did back in May.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 23, 2016

University open days

• University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    School of Education Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.