Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

OCR Biology F212 Revision [3rd June 2013] (Now Closed) Watch

• View Poll Results: How did you feel the F212 exam went?
    Awesome
    9.46%
    Good
    33.78%
    Okay
    35.81%
    Bad
    10.81%
    Rubbish
    5.41%
    Not Sure
    4.73%

ReputationRep:
    Our teacher who was meant to teach us the biodiversity section was absolutely useless and we ended up only having like 2 lessons with her :/
    I'm really worried, any tips?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ché.)
    SPECIFIC HEAT CAPACITY:
    The amount of heat/thermal m energy required to raise the temperature of a body per unit of mass.
    In terms of water molecules, the hydrogens bonds obtain high heat capacities as it takes a load of energy to break these bonds.
    If less energy is available in context, this will increase the temperature of the water molecules which stop rapid changes in temperature thus become more stable.

I have never seen a 'define' question on this, so I thought I'd explain a little.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nice answer! Full marks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lauren1brown)
    Our teacher who was meant to teach us the biodiversity section was absolutely useless and we ended up only having like 2 lessons with her :/
    I'm really worried, any tips?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This is the same for me unfortunately... Although biodiversity can be difficult to teach. But just look at the specification and you'll realise that you don't really need to know alot tbh. The content in biodiversity is weighted more towards classification and evolution

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by g.k.galloway)
    Same
    Do we need to know the equation off hand?
    I very much doubt it, they've always provided it so far.

ReputationRep:
    exam question:
    ''describe the role of memory cells when the influenza virus enters the body'' (3)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gotzz)
    It means that a lot of energy is needed to raise the temperature of water by 1°C.
    This is due to the many hydrogen bonds between molecules.
    It results in a small variation in temperature which is good as changes in temperature affect enzyme activity. Therefore, water is a stable environment for aquatic organisms.
    Correct! Full marks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by otrivine)
    I said example in my answer
    its still best not to mention it since the example isn't of any value, really any day could be the day it starts the rest of the answer was good, just no point adding that

ReputationRep:
    Did my first ever past paper and got an A! This has really improved my confidence since I was panicking a lot

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Define Taxonomy and Phylogeny? (3 Marks)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Munrot07)
    its still best not to mention it since the example isn't of any value, really any day could be the day it starts the rest of the answer was good, just no point adding that
    Okay thank you! You should be an examiner

Describe the structure of Haemoglobin (5 marks)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrMeep2580)
    Taxonomy is the study of classification
    Phylogeny is the study of evolutionary history between organisms

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wndms)
    Can someone distinguish between herd vaccination and ring vaccination? They sounds the same where they just vaccinate a population help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Do we need to know about those? I swear it's not in the specification?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wndms)
    Can someone distinguish between herd vaccination and ring vaccination? They sounds the same where they just vaccinate a population help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    A herd is all/almost all of a population e.g. the dip/tet/polio vaccine that basically everyone in the uk gets. A ring vaccine would only be a small population, so if someone picked up a tropical virus then they might vaccinate everyone who lives in the same village as them etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cookiess)
    Do we need to know about those? I swear it's not in the specification?
    Yes herd vaccination is when you vaccinate everyone. Ring vaccination is when you vaccinate everyone in the immediate vicinity of the outbreak of the disease.

ReputationRep:
    What kind of disease can we relate the hormone adrenaline? Explanation please..?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Guys what topics do you think will come up in tomorrow's exam? Really hope theres more biochemistry stuff than the biodiversity stuff :/

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have a link to the specification for this unit?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrMeep2580)
    Taxonomy is the system of classifying organisms according to their observable features or genetic characteristics.
    Phylogeny describes the evolutionary relationship between organisms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cookiess)
    exam question:
    ''describe the role of memory cells when the influenza virus enters the body'' (3)
    Recognise the virus
    Produce a clone
    Can form plasma cells on infection, which make antibodies
    They are responsible for the secondary response.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wndms)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Literally...
    That's IT!

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.