Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Also,what was the answer to why them smaller computer chips would cause problems for a satellite or sumet?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BP_Tranquility)
    In the old past papers, by "construct", they meant which transformer would have more turns in the coil of wire... :dontknow:
    Yeah they'd probably say if they wanted you to work out the number of turns, but those who did probably got bonus examiner points :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghost_rebel)
    Also,what was the answer to why them smaller computer chips would cause problems for a satellite or sumet?:confused:
    Problems for manufacturers:
    -More expensive to construct
    -More expensive to develop

^all i got.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andersson)
    I'm pretty sure it asked how you would construct it, so they were probably looking for the number of turns :cool:
    You wouldn't have been able to work out how many turns on the secondary coil because you didn't know the number of turns on the primary. If they wanted turns instead of current, why did they give us the primary current and left out the secondary current?
    (Nevertheless I did both anyway, I said the first coil would have 46 times more turns than the second)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Are grade boundaries low because OCR examiners are more harsh??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knowing)
    You wouldn't have been able to work out how many turns on the secondary coil

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wut... yes you could: Vs/Vp = Ns/Np Which gave you 1/46, so the secondary coil would have 46 times less turns than the primary, i.e. 1 turn on the secondary, 46 turns on the primary (or any pair of numbers that fits that ratio). Why would you work out the current? (as in how did that answer the question)

ReputationRep:
    Wut... yes you could: Vs/Vp = Ns/Np Which gave you 1/46, so the secondary coil would have 46 times less turns than the primary, i.e. 1 turn on the secondary, 46 turns on the primary (or any pair of numbers that fits that ratio). Why would you work out the current? (as in how did that answer the question)
    Because it proved the voltage was stepped down By increasing the current i think i showed that it decreased the current.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benwalters1996)
    Because it proved the voltage was stepped down By increasing the current i think i showed that it decreased the current.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wasn't the question "How would you construct it and how does it work?" so you talk about number of turns and magnetising the laminated iron core, causing electromagnetic induction in the secondary coil.

ReputationRep:
    Wasn't the question "How would you construct it and how does it work?" so you talk about number of turns and magnetising the laminated iron core, causing electromagnetic induction in the secondary coil.
    It was but they wouldn't give you the current if you weren't supposed to do anything with it and it said calculation..single..so therefore by inference you don't need to do anything to do with turns in the calculation as it wasn't mentioned and in past papers they give you the number of turns in at least one and ask you to work it out

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    For the two SUVAT equation questions, did anyone use v=u+at for the first one, then s=(u+v)/2 *t for the second one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benwalters1996)
    It was but they wouldn't give you the current if you weren't supposed to do anything with it and it said calculation..single..so therefore by inference you don't need to do anything to do with turns in the calculation as it wasn't mentioned and in past papers they give you the number of turns in at least one and ask you to work it out

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They're sneaky so I wouldn't be surprised if they gave you the current for no reason :lol: but I guess both calculations are relevant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeadUnicorn)
    For the two SUVAT equation questions, did anyone use v=u+at for the first one, then s=(u+v)/2 *t for the second one?
    For the second one yes, for the other one I used a simpler acceleration equation

and got 56m/s and 180m

ReputationRep:
    For the second one yes, for the other one I used a simpler acceleration equation

and got 56m/s and 180m
    jesus that's put my mind at ease, what did you get for the ultrasound wave one? and did you/people at your school find this exam hard? thanks!

ReputationRep:
    jesus that's put my mind at ease, what did you get for the ultrasound wave one? and did you/people at your school find this exam hard? thanks!
    The one about compressions/rarefactions? And apparently everyone on TSR found it hard but me and my friends thought it was quite a nice paper, I know I've lost ~10-20 marks but that's still an A*.

ReputationRep:
    The one about compressions/rarefactions? And apparently everyone on TSR found it hard but me and my friends thought it was quite a nice paper, I know I've lost ~10-20 marks but that's still an A*.
    yeaah that one, I put that the rarefactions are between two areas of compression (idek), if TSR found it hard then there is still hope, lol! I needed a mid B in this so I can probably afford to lose around 30-40 marks right?

ReputationRep:
    yeaah that one, I put that the rarefactions are between two areas of compression (idek), if TSR found it hard then there is still hope, lol! I needed a mid B in this so I can probably afford to lose around 30-40 marks right?
    Compressions are areas of high pressure because the particles are squashed together and rarefactions are areas of low pressure because the particles are more spread out.

Yeah you should be able to lose that much for a B

ReputationRep:
    Even though I used both current and number of turns calculations, I think current is the one they're looking for. The question started with an example of her phone charger - if they really wanted us to work out the number of turns - they would want us to work out the exact number of turns, not just how many times more turns there were.

They probably wanted you to say something along the lines of "less turns on the secondary coil" without the need of calculation, and then explained how it was possible for voltage to drop, because this is made up by the fact that current increases (then give the current calculation), so there is no actual loss of energy. That's how you use current to answer the question - the only way voltage can be stepped down without energy loss (conservation of energy) is if current was increased to compensate for the drop in voltage.

Edit: Also some phone chargers can only work at a high enough current - so you could say that current increasing allows the charger to work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Red Fox)
    There's only one compulsory module in further maths (FP1).
    For FM AS level only 1
    for FM A-level .. you have to do FP2 i am told...

watched man of steel today....
    Spoiler:
    Show
    The start was good...but when the main stuff on earth started..it seemd like a copy of the 2009 star trek...plus there were loads of action scences ..not much of a plot

but i think its about green lantern standard tbh...plus a load of the scenes were copied from like the avengers// iron man // thor

just another rendition tbh

Ryan

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone remember the SUVAT question(s)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryanb97)
    For FM AS level only 1
    for FM A-level .. you have to do FP2 i am told...

watched man of steel today....
    Spoiler:
    Show
    The start was good...but when the main stuff on earth started..it seemd like a copy of the 2009 star trek...plus there were loads of action scences ..not much of a plot

but i think its about green lantern standard tbh...plus a load of the scenes were copied from like the avengers// iron man // thor

just another rendition tbh

Ryan
    I think you have to do an A2 FM module. so either FP2, FP3 or FP4. So none of them are compulsory but you must do one in your A2 modules.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.