Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    they would have to pay me to vote for them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jshipman4)
    with that many posts who would believe you get a life
    With the quality of intellect that goes into your posts it's no wonder your views hold up to serious thought.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly don't think Labour would be too fussed losing a voter such as yourself. I doubt you'll even vote.

I sat in the barbers today talking to the barber while he was cutting away, he starts rambelling on about how labours this and that, then when questioned about who he will be voting for he replies: "I have never voted and never will, they're all as bad as eachother". I can't get my head around this mentality. These are the people that complain day in day out about the state of Britain, yet do fudge all about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cardozo)
    I sat in the barbers today talking to the barber while he was cutting away, he starts rambelling on about how labours this and that, then when questioned about who he will be voting for he replies: "I have never voted and never will, they're all as bad as eachother". I can't get my head around this mentality. These are the people that complain day in day out about the state of Britain, yet do fudge all about it.
    That's because you are still in the mindset that voting really makes a difference. In the eyes of many people, it really doesn't. I still vote, but extremely unenthusiastically. I can really sympathize with those who don't think it's worth wasting the time to go vote, since it achieves sweet fa.

I believe you would be right if our democracy was actually more representative and individuals could actually make a big difference without having to put in an unreasonable amount of time and effort.

ReputationRep:
    So, Labour people...

If we double dip, you're proper ******.

(No question, really, just thought I'd mention it.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammythedodger)
    Well, one would assume that raising qualifications may assist in raising standards of teaching. The two are not synonymous, but one can help assist the other.
    If we're talking about Cameron's proposals that is almost certainly a load of crap.

(Original post by CyclopsRock)
    So, Labour people...

Won't it be June before anything has time to double dip?

ReputationRep:
    So, Labour people...

The double dip, if it comes, will be through the savage cuts the Tories have committed theselves to right after the election. Why? BEcause of the nature of dependence in Britain's poorest areas because the Tories flogged off our manufacturing and heavy industry base and shifted civil service jobs to Wales and the North East and so when the cuts in public services come they will be hit and so will local retail services and voila, government-caused second recession. Perhaps you should take your sarcastic politicking and shove it up the Tories' noses?

ReputationRep:
    The double dip, when it comes, will be because the pissant little shred of growth last quarter happened at a time of year when spending is higher than normal and does not change the fact that the economic management of anything and everything has been at a level of competence which would have been hilarious if it hadn't been happening to us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adorno)
    The double dip, if it comes, will be through the savage cuts the Tories have committed theselves to right after the election. Why? BEcause of the nature of dependence in Britain's poorest areas because the Tories flogged off our manufacturing and heavy industry base and shifted civil service jobs to Wales and the North East and so when the cuts in public services come they will be hit and so will local retail services and voila, government-caused second recession. Perhaps you should take your sarcastic politicking and shove it up the Tories' noses?
    You do know what sarcasm is, don't you? It's when you say something that's the opposite to what you mean, usually to point out an absurdity or oddity in an opponents position, even if it means taking that point to an extreme.

What I just did wasn't that. It was a simple piece of analysis - if we double dip, Labour's hopes for the election are shot to pieces. Electoral successes live and die on the economy. What the Tories would, or will, do is irrelevant to that fact.

Also, I don't even understand what you're blaming the Tories for, here. Labour have had 12 years to attempt to fix the problems that you see exist. They've not only failed to fix them, they've failed to even leave the starting block. When are you going to start appropriating blame away from the feckless opposition and onto those tasked, for the last 12 years, of supporting the plights of the workers?

Edit: Nun, the next figures are due out April. If the much-anticipated May 6th date is true, it'll be the last figures before the election. You don't want to be going into an election with 7 of the last 8 quarters being in recession, especially when the one growth month was lower than inflation.

ReputationRep:
    Also, I don't even understand what you're blaming the Tories for, here. Labour have had 12 years to attempt to fix the problems that you see exist. They've not only failed to fix them, they've failed to even leave the starting block. When are you going to start appropriating blame away from the feckless opposition and onto those tasked, for the last 12 years, of supporting the plights of the workers?
    My interests aren't with Westminster to be perfectly honest but frankly the economic system we have is the crock of ***** left to us by Thatcher and bolstered by middle classes (including New Labour's leadership) who only see the size of their wallets and nothing else. The middle class got their just deserts and the opportunity the Labour Left has now is to push the national party to listen to us or else we'll just stick to our clear red water.

Oh well, back on ignore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burningnun)
    If we're talking about Cameron's proposals that is almost certainly a load of crap.
    Explain? Answer the question. Cameron has nothing to do with it!
    Would raising qualifications for teachers be a possible factor in improving the standards of teaching?

ReputationRep:
    So, Labour people...

Yes, to some extent, though I don't think it's GDP people care about, but employment. If we double dip slightly but unemployment has started dropping, I think it'll still be ok. If we don't and unemployment's started dropping, I think Labour are looking a lot better, especially if the media starts talking about Labour's stimulus working.

ReputationRep:
    If Brown and co think they put Britain in the best position out of any country to handle a recession circa 2007, how did Thatcher manage screw it up in between then and now?

ReputationRep:
    Would raising qualifications for teachers be a possible factor in improving the standards of teaching?
    The question is ambiguous, unless you tell me which one you are referring to. Are you asking about Cameron's proposal to mandate 2:1s, or are you asking about some generic proposal to make it more stringent in some unspecified way. The former is ******** for reasons I won't explain tonight, the latter is entirely vacuous and it's you who needs to explain.

ReputationRep:
    No. Getting a 2:1 isn't an indicator of being a better teacher. Companies require 2:1s as a way of getting fewer applications, as they tend to get more than they can handle. While being in need of more teachers, I'm not the greatest fan of upping the set requirements, that are bureaucratic. If you want better teachers, get them to do a mock lesson in an interview and see how they do. Being able to connect to kids is far more important than being a little bit better at the subject.

ReputationRep:
    Take the elite from the PGCE course not a degree in a bunch of stuff they won't actually be teaching.

Or rather, don't be so elitist because three decent teachers teaching 20 kids each is more effective than one brilliant teacher teaching 60.

ReputationRep:
    I think Cameron's ideas are the biggest load of rubbish I have ever heard. Having qualifications doesn't imply you're a good teacher, communication and discipline are far, far more important to teach people. The collumnist in my local paper summed this up perfectly recently when he said that the worst teacher him and all his peers had had a masters, doctorate, etc whereas the best one was an ex-army chap who was learning the course as he went along.

ReputationRep:
    Are you surprised by the Liberal Democrats very strong performances in the bi-elections followed by the Tories weaker ones?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Afcwimbledon2)
    Are you surprised by the Liberal Democrats very strong performances in the bi-elections followed by the Tories weaker ones?
    No, will make little change come the election.

ReputationRep:
    Lib Dems always do "well" in by-elections. It's like the arse rubbing tease bit of the night before the massive ****-blocking that is the GE.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 18, 2018
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up sugar, or salt?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.