Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cinderella25)
    I want to teach German as I have a degree in German and International Relations but don't have any teaching experience per se. So, I was really confused about the application process and deadlines because I want to get as much experience as possible to increase my chances of getting a place.
    Try and get at least some before you apply. The unis will want to see that you have recent relevant experience so you know this is really what you want to do, and they'll also want to see you reflecting on your experience in your PS. If you get some done you can do this, then get more to improve your application and meet the minimum requirement afterwards.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying this year for secondary maths and I'm quite worried about my application.

I've had 8 days work experience and I'll have 2 more before I send off my application. I helped out in a homework club from January-July this year, and this term I'm helping on a Saturday maths class for 2 hours for a maths project and I'm going into a school for 2 hours every Wednesday afternoon with a volounteering programme from my uni. In term 2 and 3, for a teaching module (part of my maths degree) I'll be going in for an afternoon a week and helping out in the classroom/teaching a few lessons and I have to do a 'special project' and do a report, presentation, etc. I'm quite good at interviews, quite good at getting my enthusiasm across, so hopefully they'll be fine.

But I'm worried that my grades will bring me down. I've had mitigating circumstances and my exam results therefore aren't that great. Will that be enough to not even get me to interview? I'm pretty sure I'll be able to sell myself in my personal statement and at interview, but I'm worried about how much my grades will hold me back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    Try and get at least some before you apply. The unis will want to see that you have recent relevant experience so you know this is really what you want to do, and they'll also want to see you reflecting on your experience in your PS. If you get some done you can do this, then get more to improve your application and meet the minimum requirement afterwards.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I read that you now have to apply via UCAS Teacher Training and applications open on 21 November. Therefore, I should start getting some teaching experience now and start applying to make me a strong applicant?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chewyy)
    I'm applying this year for secondary maths and I'm quite worried about my application.

I've had 8 days work experience and I'll have 2 more before I send off my application. I helped out in a homework club from January-July this year, and this term I'm helping on a Saturday maths class for 2 hours for a maths project and I'm going into a school for 2 hours every Wednesday afternoon with a volounteering programme from my uni. In term 2 and 3, for a teaching module (part of my maths degree) I'll be going in for an afternoon a week and helping out in the classroom/teaching a few lessons and I have to do a 'special project' and do a report, presentation, etc. I'm quite good at interviews, quite good at getting my enthusiasm across, so hopefully they'll be fine.

But I'm worried that my grades will bring me down. I've had mitigating circumstances and my exam results therefore aren't that great. Will that be enough to not even get me to interview? I'm pretty sure I'll be able to sell myself in my personal statement and at interview, but I'm worried about how much my grades will hold me back.
    Can you apply to the university that you did your undergrad with? They might be more understanding of your mitigating circumstances if they know exactly what they are. And I know my university guarantees interviews to people who studied at undergrad here. If your uni does that you could use the interview to really sell yourself in spite of your grades.

---

Personal statement started (late, I know), and I'm asking round for experience again. Getting worried I won't have my ten days by the end of November now! Oh well, fingers crossed someone gets back to me...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alabelle)
    Can you apply to the university that you did your undergrad with? They might be more understanding of your mitigating circumstances if they know exactly what they are. And I know my university guarantees interviews to people who studied at undergrad here. If your uni does that you could use the interview to really sell yourself in spite of your grades.

---

Personal statement started (late, I know), and I'm asking round for experience again. Getting worried I won't have my ten days by the end of November now! Oh well, fingers crossed someone gets back to me...
    Which uni is this? I've never heard of that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chewyy)

Many unis don't care sooo much about grades. What they will want to see though is good reflection and commitment and they will probably want to hear at interview how you will be able to cope with the high pressure of the PGCE assignments alongside teaching practice, given previous grades.

Also it might be worth your academic referee mentioning the mitigating circumstances, though not 100% on this so get more advice before doing it!

(Original post by cinderella25)
    I read that you now have to apply via UCAS Teacher Training and applications open on 21 November. Therefore, I should start getting some teaching experience now and start applying to make me a strong applicant?
    Yes, I would definitely try to get some. As otherwise their thinking could be "How do they know they want to be a teacher, they might get in to school and hate it!"

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    Which uni is this? I've never heard of that.
    University of Hull. The lecturer who told me isn't a PGCE lecturer (she's Educational Studies) but she does carry out interviews for the PGCE course there.

Might be worth sneakily asking an education lecturer at your uni if you have a better chance of getting an interview it can only help.

---

Had a reply back from my email and I've got another five days lined up at a primary school I visited in June. I'm really happy because this means I'll have 10 days by the time I submit my application now. Hurray! Hopefully I can get a sneaky reference out of this as well

ReputationRep:
    University of Hull. The lecturer who told me isn't a PGCE lecturer (she's Educational Studies) but she does carry out interviews for the PGCE course there.

Might be worth sneakily asking an education lecturer at your uni if you have a better chance of getting an interview it can only help.

---

Had a reply back from my email and I've got another five days lined up at a primary school I visited in June. I'm really happy because this means I'll have 10 days by the time I submit my application now. Hurray! Hopefully I can get a sneaky reference out of this as well
    Ah interesting to hear, thanks. My uni don't do the PGCE I want to do sadly! The other one does though (Sheffield Hallam) so it's a shame I can't get an advantage there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    Yes, I would definitely try to get some. As otherwise their thinking could be "How do they know they want to be a teacher, they might get in to school and hate it!"

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes I see what you mean and in a way this will allow me to know whether teaching is really for me or not!

Thank you for your advice!
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    Ah interesting to hear, thanks. My uni don't do the PGCE I want to do sadly! The other one does though (Sheffield Hallam) so it's a shame I can't get an advantage there
    Ah yeah that's a shame! I looked at Sheffield Hallam myself but their experience requirements put me off. It's been hard enough getting observation experience, never mind being allowed to teach a whole class!

ReputationRep:
    Ah yeah that's a shame! I looked at Sheffield Hallam myself but their experience requirements put me off. It's been hard enough getting observation experience, never mind being allowed to teach a whole class!
    Ah, I take it you must be primary then? Because their secondary requirements are really low (5 days), which is one reason I'm applying I noticed in the leaflet about exp that the primary section had a lot of requirements.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, I take it you must be primary then? Because their secondary requirements are really low (5 days), which is one reason I'm applying I noticed in the leaflet about exp that the primary section had a lot of requirements.
    Yep. I really like the school but their requirements were too high for me. Their minimum requirements were fine but on the open day they made it clear that they were looking for a lot more than they mention on their website. Disappointing but I'll have a better chance elsewhere.

It's one of the benefits of secondary that the requirements are lower! Good luck, it looks like a really good uni.

ReputationRep:
    Yep. I really like the school but their requirements were too high for me. Their minimum requirements were fine but on the open day they made it clear that they were looking for a lot more than they mention on their website. Disappointing but I'll have a better chance elsewhere.

It's one of the benefits of secondary that the requirements are lower! Good luck, it looks like a really good uni.
    I bet they are looking for a lot more than five days for secondary too! Oh well.

Good luck with your application

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys! Just wanted to ask a question that may be fairly obvious but here goes anyway

I'm applying for an Early Years PGCE for 2014 entry and I've done 3 school placements, I did 6 full school days in one school but in my other two schools I did one afternoon/morning a week for 10 weeks in both. When they say 'days' in the entry requirements does this mean FULL days? So my 20 half days count for 10 full days? As I say this may be obvious but I can't find anywhere what it specifically means by 'day' and want to be sure!

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LAEVIE)
    Hey guys! Just wanted to ask a question that may be fairly obvious but here goes anyway

I'm applying for an Early Years PGCE for 2014 entry and I've done 3 school placements, I did 6 full school days in one school but in my other two schools I did one afternoon/morning a week for 10 weeks in both. When they say 'days' in the entry requirements does this mean FULL days? So my 20 half days count for 10 full days? As I say this may be obvious but I can't find anywhere what it specifically means by 'day' and want to be sure!

Cheers
    Yeah I THINK they mean full days but yeah you should be fine. I'm applying for an early years PGCE as well and I just have 5 days in EYFS but a bit more in key stage 1. Also, I think it's how you write it and what you learn, as opposed to how much time you spent. If you're worried you could always contact admissions tutors to double check.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Quick question, wondering if anyone knows the answer on here!

Does anyone know if the application form that we fill in on UCAS is the same form that everyone else i.e. non teacher training applications/undergrads etc. fill out?

Basically, I registered a UCAS account the other week but my Careers lady seems to think that I've registered in the wrong place and that what I'm actually seeing is the general undergrad application form. As far as I've ever been aware, there's only ever been one "universal UCAS account" that you use for Apply/Track... and I assumed correctly or incorrectly, that there is only one form, and that we fill in all the basic details the same as everyone else does, and that more sections/fields will simply become available once we've added our teacher training courses [which we can't do yet until the 21st November] to the choices section.

Or will I have to create a brand new account on 21st November in a special teacher training section on UCAS? I was hoping this was the same thing, so I could get the basic personal details like name/address/DOB/ethnic background etc. in early and save me some time, and just do the rest when ITT apps go live on the 21st. But now I don't know what to think!

Do you think the Apply system for ITT will be a completely new/different section?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deja Vu)
    Quick question, wondering if anyone knows the answer on here!

Does anyone know if the application form that we fill in on UCAS is the same form that everyone else i.e. non teacher training applications/undergrads etc. fill out?

Basically, I registered a UCAS account the other week but my Careers lady seems to think that I've registered in the wrong place and that what I'm actually seeing is the general undergrad application form. As far as I've ever been aware, there's only ever been one "universal UCAS account" that you use for Apply/Track... and I assumed correctly or incorrectly, that there is only one form, and that we fill in all the basic details the same as everyone else does, and that more sections/fields will simply become available once we've added our teacher training courses [which we can't do yet until the 21st November] to the choices section.

Or will I have to create a brand new account on 21st November in a special teacher training section on UCAS? I was hoping this was the same thing, so I could get the basic personal details like name/address/DOB/ethnic background etc. in early and save me some time, and just do the rest when ITT apps go live on the 21st. But now I don't know what to think!

Do you think the Apply system for ITT will be a completely new/different section?
    It does seem to be a different section, with it's own course search and everything, called Ucas Teacher Training (UTT). I don't imagine you'd be able to use that application for UTT when it opens because we are allowed to make less choices than undergraduates and it seems like a completely different process i.e. apply 1 and apply 2 versus apply and clearing. The UTT section of the website seems to be pretty adamant that we can't complete the forms until 21st November. And since not every university will even be ready to receive applications by then, I don't think filling in a form will make a lot of difference.

ReputationRep:
    It does seem to be a different section, with it's own course search and everything, called Ucas Teacher Training (UTT). I don't imagine you'd be able to use that application for UTT when it opens because we are allowed to make less choices than undergraduates and it seems like a completely different process i.e. apply 1 and apply 2 versus apply and clearing. The UTT section of the website seems to be pretty adamant that we can't complete the forms until 21st November. And since not every university will even be ready to receive applications by then, I don't think filling in a form will make a lot of difference.
    Hopefully most providers will be ready for the 21st, if not, I think it's absolutely disgusting. The date has already been pushed back by 3 weeks, so if they aren't ready for the 21st, what chance did they ever have of been ready for the 1st?!

Ridiculous.

I was told that most should be ready by the 21st with only maybe 2 or 3 stragglers later than that. We'll see though...

The system is complete crap not being able to search for courses until the day applications open. I'd actually have preferred being able to search for 3/5/7 days before hand. And I personally don't accept "well it's a new system" as a good enough excuse... the amount of people involved in a project like this must be immense, and yet not one of them saw a problem with the search listings going live on the same day as the applications?!

I have no idea if there will even be three places nearby offering the course I am applying to; I am restricted to a specific location, as I can't afford to move away for ITT like I did with undergrad.

Sigh.

ReputationRep:
    The organisation is infuriating! I really want to be able to search courses at least

Who have people asked for their academic reference? I might just ask a random lecturer because I've never met my personal tutor...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deja Vu)
    Hopefully most providers will be ready for the 21st, if not, I think it's absolutely disgusting. The date has already been pushed back by 3 weeks, so if they aren't ready for the 21st, what chance did they ever have of been ready for the 1st?!

Ridiculous.

I was told that most should be ready by the 21st with only maybe 2 or 3 stragglers later than that. We'll see though...

The system is complete crap not being able to search for courses until the day applications open. I'd actually have preferred being able to search for 3/5/7 days before hand. And I personally don't accept "well it's a new system" as a good enough excuse... the amount of people involved in a project like this must be immense, and yet not one of them saw a problem with the search listings going live on the same day as the applications?!

I have no idea if there will even be three places nearby offering the course I am applying to; I am restricted to a specific location, as I can't afford to move away for ITT like I did with undergrad.

Sigh.
    From what my university have said, most universities will be ready but SCITT providers may not. Considering the whole business of them opening and closing applications at will, I don't think we can guarantee when universities will choose to make themselves available. Better courses might be added later and, since we can't see the course search yet, we might end up wanting to change our minds. It's a ridiculous system. Then again our uni was keen to tell us not to worry about being one of the first applicants, because 'only the deserving will get in anyway'. Not sure what to make of that.

From the sounds of things the GTTR has always had problems on the day it opens, and with it being a new system this year, I'm expecting it to be even worse than usual.

Like you I'm restricted with locations I can apply to and to be honest, I'm quite frustrated with the whole thing.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.