Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hey guys, anyone applied to linklaters? having real trouble with the commercial awareness question. any hints or advice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by electro14)
    hey guys, anyone applied to linklaters? having real trouble with the commercial awareness question. any hints or advice?
    I spoke to grad rec at a Linklaters event not long ago and I asked them about how to approach the commercial awareness question - just pick something you are interested in and make sure it is a topic you will be able to talk about if you get called to interview! Make sure you can link it back to the firm by saying how it affects Linklaters - any benefits or opportunities it presents to the firm, which practice areas are affected etc. The recruiter I spoke to also said that the Russia/Ulkraine crisis was quite a popular topic people have chosen but she also said it's more interesting for them to read about something different when they have to read through so many applications and loads of them are on the same topic!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZaraW)
    I spoke to grad rec at a Linklaters event not long ago and I asked them about how to approach the commercial awareness question - just pick something you are interested in and make sure it is a topic you will be able to talk about if you get called to interview! Make sure you can link it back to the firm by saying how it affects Linklaters - any benefits or opportunities it presents to the firm, which practice areas are affected etc. The recruiter I spoke to also said that the Russia/Ulkraine crisis was quite a popular topic people have chosen but she also said it's more interesting for them to read about something different when they have to read through so many applications and loads of them are on the same topic!
    Thank you very much!! I not going to choose the russia/ukraine crisis but how would that affect linklaters or law firms in general?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by electro14)
    Thank you very much!! I not going to choose the russia/ukraine crisis but how would that affect linklaters or law firms in general?
    No problem! Hmmmm I'm not too sure myself apart from I know some law firms have said that they haven't been getting much work in their Moscow offices since there has been a decline in interest in doing work and deals over there because of what has been going on.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone taken the Clifford Chance verbal reasoning test yet? Was the test provider SHL?

ReputationRep:
    I remember the days when there used to be news on this thread

ReputationRep:
    How many firms are you guys applying to and what do you think is the best number of amount to apply to? also do firms get angry when you submit the application right before the deadline?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    To the answer to the last question, yes. Drives recruiters mad as so many people do it.

Unless it's not rolling recruitment, then it isn't so much of an issue.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Was So Funny!)
    I remember the days when there used to be news on this thread
    To be honest after this afternoon we can probably forget about getting anything until next Monday
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChoccyWoccy)
    To be honest after this afternoon we can probably forget about getting anything until next Monday
    Most teams will have had no one in between 25 Dec to 5 Jan, or at best had one person in just to cover the phones/emails.

Things will pick up next week once everyone's back in the office.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Most teams will have had no one in between 25 Dec to 5 Jan, or at best had one person in just to cover the phones/emails.

Things will pick up next week once everyone's back in the office.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks - will forget about it now til Monday then
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Thanks - will forget about it now til Monday then
    Most law firms have shut their London offices on Friday 2 Jan.

I have been in contact with a number of individuals in different firms and keep getting out of offices saying someone will respond on or after 5 Jan.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Most law firms have shut their London offices on Friday 2 Jan.

I have been in contact with a number of individuals in different firms and keep getting out of offices saying someone will respond on or after 5 Jan.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yep, that's the Monday

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZaraW)
    Has anyone taken the Clifford Chance verbal reasoning test yet? Was the test provider SHL?
    I think it was an SHL. You just have to follow your intuition- the first answer you come up with is usually the right one. I also find it quicker to read the questions first and then the paragraph containing the information. It's not very hard Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roro123)
    I think it was an SHL. You just have to follow your intuition- the first answer you come up with is usually the right one. I also find it quicker to read the questions first and then the paragraph containing the information. It's not very hard Good luck!
    Thank you!!!

ReputationRep:
    Friendly reminder to everyone on the thread that A&O applications close today

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kidioteque)
    Friendly reminder to everyone on the thread that A&O applications close today
    Loving the Louis Litt avatar :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    Loving the Louis Litt avatar :teeth:
    Haha, cheers - I ought to change it really since I stopped watching it during season 4. Those damned investment bankers ruining everything... :lol:

ReputationRep:
    PFO from A&O. Never did like them.

ReputationRep:
    Also received a PFO from A&O. Great timing too.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.