Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emmargh)
    Just out of interest, what have people read as part of their 'wider reading'?
    I've browsed the RCSLT website, and read 'The Language Instinct' by Steven Pinker (a really interesting book - a lot of reference to Specific Language Impairments and language acquisition) and 'How Language Works' by David Crystal.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rhimair)
    I've browsed the RCSLT website, and read 'The Language Instinct' by Steven Pinker (a really interesting book - a lot of reference to Specific Language Impairments and language acquisition) and 'How Language Works' by David Crystal.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I read both of these whilst studying my linguistics degree. Pinker and Crystal are BIG linguists, especially Crystal, many people on my course referred to him as the 'God of ELL' haha. You can't study linguistics without avoiding them. :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    I read 'The Diving Bell and the Butterfly,' as well as 'So Many Everests' and 'A Career in Speech and Language Therapy'

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I read both of these whilst studying my linguistics degree. Pinker and Crystal are BIG linguists, especially Crystal, many people on my course referred to him as the 'God of ELL' haha. You can't study linguistics without avoiding them. :ahee:
    Labov is pretty big as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanC55)
    Labov is pretty big as well.
    The list goes on, my friend... the list goes on.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm still in knots why I got rejected from Reading. Even after getting a response from them I don't see what went wrong...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soufflekitty)
    I'm still in knots why I got rejected from Reading. Even after getting a response from them I don't see what went wrong...
    Don't beat yourself up about it - each uni seems to have certain things that they look for - you do atleast have one offer and still have more irons in the fire so to speak - all will work out for the best just wait and see xx

ReputationRep:
    Can we not message for feedback?
    Did you get an interview? What is your experience so far?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to hear this is upsetting you so much, especially over this festive season, however as AmyPilot says, each uni are looking for different things and therefore by simply just meeting the entry criteria doesn't necessarily mean you are right for that course. They have however offered you a place on one of their other courses so if going to Reading is what you have your heart set on you can still do that, and if doing a speech therapy course is what you would prefer then you have an offer from Cardiff and another few unis outstanding to get back to you so all isn't that bad really.

Sadly in life things don't always turn out as we first wish but it does always work out in the end! x

ReputationRep:
    The list goes on, my friend... the list goes on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Did you do Linguistics at Undergrad as well?

-

I've just sent my application! I've officially joined the track team - I'm gonna proper panic at every update

ReputationRep:

Hi dude I am really sorry that you got rejected from the course you wanted, but, they have offered you a place! If Reading is definitely the way forward then you could always consider taking that place and then attempting to transfer onto their SaLT course after your 1st year? On the positive side, you have an offer and other replies to come, that's a lot more than others have and you can still be a SaLT you just won't (immediately) get a place at your first choice.

Hope you're okay!

ReputationRep:

-

I've just sent my application! I've officially joined the track team - I'm gonna proper panic at every update
    Best of luck with your application 😊 If you haven't already, please add yourself to the table - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...e_courses_2015

ReputationRep:
    SLT is an extremely competitive course and everyone is unlikely to get offers from all their choices. It's not a question of doing things 'wrong'; there could be fifty-five excellent applicants but only fifty places, and in that case five very good candidates will lose out. What matters is to get an offer from somewhere - which you have! Some people have to apply twice or more before they get a place at all. Remember you will be achieving the same HPC registration at the end of it all, and your goal is to be a SLT - you don't need Reading for that.

Hi dude I am really sorry that you got rejected from the course you wanted, but, they have offered you a place! If Reading is definitely the way forward then you could always consider taking that place and then attempting to transfer onto their SaLT course after your 1st year? On the positive side, you have an offer and other replies to come, that's a lot more than others have and you can still be a SaLT you just won't (immediately) get a place at your first choice.

Hope you're okay!
    Unfortunately it's not possible to transfer onto the SLT course after doing the first year of another degree - in that situation you need to apply from scratch.

ReputationRep:

-

Yessss, then went onto CELTA and taught English for a while and now teach English privately whilst working as a full time Health Care Assistant in a nursing home :ahee:

GOOD LUCK!!
    I will be applying next year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by opalescent)
    SLT is an extremely competitive course and everyone is unlikely to get offers from all their choices. It's not a question of doing things 'wrong'; there could be fifty-five excellent applicants but only fifty places, and in that case five very good candidates will lose out. What matters is to get an offer from somewhere - which you have! Some people have to apply twice or more before they get a place at all. Remember you will be achieving the same HPC registration at the end of it all, and your goal is to be a SLT - you don't need Reading for that.

Unfortunately it's not possible to transfer onto the SLT course after doing the first year of another degree - in that situation you need to apply from scratch.

ReputationRep:
    Yessss, then went onto CELTA and taught English for a while and now teach English privately whilst working as a full time Health Care Assistant in a nursing home :ahee:

GOOD LUCK!!
    I will be applying next year.
    Ahh, cool, where did you study? Sounds like you have been proper busy! Your application will be awesome though!

ReputationRep:
    Ahh, cool, where did you study? Sounds like you have been proper busy! Your application will be awesome though!
    You would think so! Haha. However, I don't feel ready and it's still lacking. So this year will really help me.

I studied at York St John. I loved it there and wouldn't have gone anywhere else for my UG for Linguistics You?

ReputationRep:
    You would think so! Haha. However, I don't feel ready and it's still lacking. So this year will really help me.

I studied at York St John. I loved it there and wouldn't have gone anywhere else for my UG for Linguistics You?
    Yeah I can see what you mean! I feel like that sometimes; I have quite a bit of work experience but I just worry whether it's relevant enough to succeed this year!

Ahh, York St John must have been cool, I looked into that when applying the 1st time! I did mine at Essex, I love it so much, but it's quite far from home and a lot of stuff has happened this year so I've decided to take a year out and sort stuff out and see if I get get a SaLT offer a bit earlier haha!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by opalescent)

No but I assume that if you took the place and then reapplied next year there's every chance Reading would be able to offer her a place.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone had an interview at UEA/know what it's like and how I can prepare?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 7, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.