Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    As a university, Exeter looks very pretty. I know someone who applied there and it looks like a good place to be a student (and it's set in a beautiful area, which you can probably appreciate if you're applying for Geology!). In terms of the course, I briefly looked at it when I was applying but I don't know a massive amount of it. There does however seem to be a big tradition of industrial Geology there though (for your information, Geology is taught by the Camborne School of Mines which is one of the old industrial Geology institutions in the UK along with Imperial's Royal School of Mines). If you look at the modules offered in Geology, for instance, there are a lot of modules connected to (mineral) resources and exploration, so it looks like a very good course if that's what you're interested in.
    Just thought I'd add that it's on the Cornwall campus.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I have submitted my Personal Statement to TSR's PS library. It would be really nice if other 2015 applicants could upload theirs too if you feel comfortable with that because the geology section is a bit lacking at the moment and it would help future applicants out!

You can find instructions on how to add your Personal Statement to the library here. I suggest you add it yourself because otherwise it's just going to spend forever in a queue as there's a massive backlog. At the bottom of your entry, you need to add the categories. Here you can see an example of how to edit this properly - left is old, right is new (and correct).
    Added mine last week, the first ever for geophysics

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by A bored muffin)
    Added mine last week, the first ever for geophysics

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks! It seems like we have very similar interests and well done for your amazing results. I hope you have a great time at Leeds, it looks like a brilliant course! Out of interest, why did you choose Leeds?

ReputationRep:
    What kind of offers have people here gotten from Portsmouth University for Palaeontology?

Also what is the lowest offer people have got here for Leicester University for Geology and Palaeobiology and Palaentology at Portsmouth?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Wellnhoferia)
    What kind of offers have people here gotten from Portsmouth University for Palaeontology?

Also what is the lowest offer people have got here for Leicester University for Geology and Palaeobiology and Palaentology at Portsmouth?
    If you look at University connect, last year there were AAB and ABB offers for Leicester and offers of 320 and 280 UCAS points for Portsmouth. The official entry requirements are of course on the respective course websites.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know what the difference between Glasgow Earth Science entry requirements are? Standard is AAB and minimum BBB, ir seems a huge difference.
    Thanks.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Lemonpopsicle2)
    Does anyone know what the difference between Glasgow Earth Science entry requirements are? Standard is AAB and minimum BBB, ir seems a huge difference.
    Thanks.
    From the Glasgow website:

"The standard academic entry requirements represent the A Level grades normally needed for an offer to be made... for some degree programmes, offers may be made below the standard A Level entry requirement."

Assume that the offer you're going to get is AAB. I honestly don't know what criteria Glasgow uses to decide what offers to give out but there's nothing here to guarantee that you'll get anything lower than the standard offer. Some universities give out lower offers to people coming from low performing schools or are in certain disadvantaged groups, but I don't know if Glasgow does this. Maybe you'll get a nice surprise, but I wouldn't rely on it!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! It seems like we have very similar interests and well done for your amazing results. I hope you have a great time at Leeds, it looks like a brilliant course! Out of interest, why did you choose Leeds?
    Cheers, you too err I guess I just thought it was the best all round uni for nightlife, sport, campus etc as well as a great course; imperial is a marginally better course but I would hate to go there! I would recommend Leeds to anyone, freshers week has been great 😋

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody know what the lowest offers for Palaeontology and Evolution at Bristol are?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Wellnhoferia)
    Does anybody know what the lowest offers for Palaeontology and Evolution at Bristol are?
    It depends on what subjects you do at A Level, and whether you go to one of the schools that qualifies you for a contextual offer. Assuming you don't qualify for the contextual offer, the typical offer is AAA if you have Biology and another science subject or AAB if you have Biology and two other "hard sciences", hard sciences being Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Physics. Please note that these are typical offers which means in theory yours could be different but that's very unlikely. The contextual offer is basically 1 grade lower than the non-contextual offer (i.e. AAB or ABB).

ReputationRep:
    From the Glasgow website:

"The standard academic entry requirements represent the A Level grades normally needed for an offer to be made... for some degree programmes, offers may be made below the standard A Level entry requirement."

Assume that the offer you're going to get is AAB. I honestly don't know what criteria Glasgow uses to decide what offers to give out but there's nothing here to guarantee that you'll get anything lower than the standard offer. Some universities give out lower offers to people coming from low performing schools or are in certain disadvantaged groups, but I don't know if Glasgow does this. Maybe you'll get a nice surprise, but I wouldn't rely on it!
    I had a reply from Glasgow admissions today.

Thank you for your email. AAB is our standard entry requirement and this is what any offer you are given will be based on. The minimum is the least we may accept for entry to that program. The message really is to aim for AAB and if you don’t achieve that then we may accept anything down to BBB. You must achieve any subject requirement also.

I had asked whether BBB was a contextual offer, or one dependent on offering all science subjects, but this doesn't seem to be the case.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Lemonpopsicle2)
    I had a reply from Glasgow admissions today.

Thank you for your email. AAB is our standard entry requirement and this is what any offer you are given will be based on. The minimum is the least we may accept for entry to that program. The message really is to aim for AAB and if you don’t achieve that then we may accept anything down to BBB. You must achieve any subject requirement also.

I had asked whether BBB was a contextual offer, or one dependent on offering all science subjects, but this doesn't seem to be the case.
    Ah, well that's very good to hear! Puts a bit of pressure off you if you get an offer, I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    Are geologists in favour of Fracking? What do they have to say about the many accounts of methane contamination in ground water- just the casual migration of gas. I can't seem to overlook cases such as Dimock where no methane contamination had been reported before Fracking industry, whereas after not only were there above standard [methane] but also heavy metals and even glycol ethers in the groundwater, under what logic do they ignore that. Personally, I am opposed to Fracking due to one oxymoron: water on fire.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Retropattern)
    Are geologists in favour of Fracking? What do they have to say about the many accounts of methane contamination in ground water- just the casual migration of gas. I can't seem to overlook cases such as Dimock where no methane contamination had been reported before Fracking industry, whereas after not only were there above standard [methane] but also heavy metals and even glycol ethers in the groundwater, under what logic do they ignore that. Personally, I am opposed to Fracking due to one oxymoron: water on fire.
    I think the geological consensus seems to be that fracking is fine (in terms of contamination) as long as it's done properly since the fracking regions are much, much deeper than groundwater reservoirs so at least from the lectures I've seen, it's supposed to be basically impossible for methane contamination to occur if it's done right. Talking about what has happened in the USA isn't entirely fair because the regulations over there are a lot more relaxed than the ones we have over here so whilst it's completely correct that some terrible things have happened in the states, it's not necessarily correct to assume that the same would happen over here.

However, there are plenty of reasons to still be opposed to fracking, most importantly the fact that it's yet more investment in fossil fuels at a time when we should be actively getting rid of them.

ReputationRep:
    hi any chance i could have a read of your epq on fracking? thanks
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by yasmin0011)
    hi any chance i could have a read of your epq on fracking? thanks
    Not sure who this is addressed to but I didn't do an EPQ on fracking.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 28, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.