Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DoeADeer)
    How much do they focus on work experience for graduate entry?
    I've only got 6 months at a care home (which I did back in 2013) as well as shadowing a plastic surgeon and I may be shadowing another doctor soon. Would this be enough? It's just that I know others who have way more work experience and I've struggled enough already to get the shadowing experience.
    Not done the UKCAT yet, but did it a couple of years ago and got 707.5 so hopefully that will run smoothly again...
    Also, I'm only being predicted a 2.1...
    Cheers!
    You could have 10 years worth of clinical healthcare experience but if you can't translate how your experiences would make you a good doctor then you wont be successful. Your WE looks fine, and getting 2.1 is a great achievement. Not many GEM applicants have firsts, and even if they did it doesn't seem to make that much of a difference to universities.

ReputationRep:
    Hey need some advice
    I'm a 2nd year biomedical science student at plymouth on a 2:1 at the moment.
    Did my ukcat today (my first time ever) and I've not done the best. 560, 640, 620, 660. Band 2
    I don't know where I stand. Should i just not apply for med?
    What unis would still concider me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJK91)
    Even if you're a consultant earning £71k, you're only paying back £360 a month from a roughly £4000 per month salary. Not bad really!
    if you're earning £71,000 per year then you'd earn more like £6000 per month, so yes you're right £360 per month wouldn't even be noticeable

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm just wandering why is everyone in the world so obsessed with doing medicine? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I have another question, apologies...
    My ultimate goal is to eventually become a surgeon. Is it a good idea to mention this in my personal statement and give reasons for why I want to be one (e.g. I play the flute and piano therefore I have good manual dexterity which is a trait surgeons need). Or should I just leave this out?

ReputationRep:
    In reply to transientdipole: to help people perhaps? Perhaps there are a vast amount of caring people. I wouldn't say that "everyone is obsessed" either

ReputationRep:
    My ultimate goal is to eventually become a surgeon. Is it a good idea to mention this in my personal statement and give reasons for why I want to be one (e.g. I play the flute and piano therefore I have good manual dexterity which is a trait surgeons need). Or should I just leave this out?
    You could mention that from your previous experience you are particularly interested in exploring surgery further, it would show focus and a desire for the career of a doctor beyond medical school since medicine is a professional qualification, but I would be careful about seeming too set on one area. Part of studying medicine is about exploring the different specialties and a lot of people graduate wanting to work in a completely different specialty than they originally thought, so if you do mention it then I would try and make it clear that although at the moment you are particularly interested in surgery, you also want to explore other specialties that you haven't had a chance to experience yet. I wouldn't focus your entire personal statement around it because the degree is medicine and surgery .

ReputationRep:
    Don't mention it... They can grill you why you want to be one. And actually without having experienced it on placement as a medical student you don't really know what it's really like and then i know people who were so keen on surgery pre-clinicals and now they aren't at all.
    I never thought I'd enjoy surgery but I'm loving it and am now really considering it as a future career, now tailoring my CV a bit in medical school i.e. publications etc.
    Just be open minded and don't specifically say you want to do 1 thing. Use your usic playing as an example of interests outside of medicine (as its really important! I'd go crazy if i didn't have my hobbies)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lcsurfer)
    Don't mention it... They can grill you why you want to be one. And actually without having experienced it on placement as a medical student you don't really know what it's really like and then i know people who were so keen on surgery pre-clinicals and now they aren't at all.
    I never thought I'd enjoy surgery but I'm loving it and am now really considering it as a future career, now tailoring my CV a bit in medical school i.e. publications etc.
    Just be open minded and don't specifically say you want to do 1 thing. Use your usic playing as an example of interests outside of medicine (as its really important! I'd go crazy if i didn't have my hobbies)
    I'm not sure.. I shadowed a plastic surgeon and did an anatomy module in the year that just went and we dissected the whole body during the course of the year. Would that not be relevant to mention why I think I'd enjoy surgery?
    Thanks for your reply btw! I noticed on your profile that you're a graduate medic at KCL... I'm at KCL doing biomed atm and am apply for the graduate entry programme here. Do you have any tips on the application/MMIs by any chance? I'm pretty terrified of the sound of the MMIs. Are all the questions they ask involve trying to figure out what you'd do in certain situations? Do any involve acting out anything... It's just that I read somewhere a question could be imagine that you've run over your neighbour's cat... how would you tell your neighbour? Something like that anyway...
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -inspired-)
    You could mention that from your previous experience you are particularly interested in exploring surgery further, it would show focus and a desire for the career of a doctor beyond medical school since medicine is a professional qualification, but I would be careful about seeming too set on one area. Part of studying medicine is about exploring the different specialties and a lot of people graduate wanting to work in a completely different specialty than they originally thought, so if you do mention it then I would try and make it clear that although at the moment you are particularly interested in surgery, you also want to explore other specialties that you haven't had a chance to experience yet. I wouldn't focus your entire personal statement around it because the degree is medicine and surgery .
    Thanks for your reply!
    Yeah, I'm aware that whilst going through medical school it is probably quite easy to change your mind on what speciality you want to focus your career on, hence the reason I'm pondering on whether or not to mention it. I think I'll mention it briefly but not put too much focus onto it like you've suggested.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure.. I shadowed a plastic surgeon and did an anatomy module in the year that just went and we dissected the whole body during the course of the year. Would that not be relevant to mention why I think I'd enjoy surgery?
    Thanks for your reply btw! I noticed on your profile that you're a graduate medic at KCL... I'm at KCL doing biomed atm and am apply for the graduate entry programme here. Do you have any tips on the application/MMIs by any chance? I'm pretty terrified of the sound of the MMIs. Are all the questions they ask involve trying to figure out what you'd do in certain situations? Do any involve acting out anything... It's just that I read somewhere a question could be imagine that you've run over your neighbour's cat... how would you tell your neighbour? Something like that anyway...
    Thanks!
    I still wouldn't say you'e interested in surgery specifically, it's risky as they can spin it in the interview massively! Especially when they ask why? (trust me I was grilled when i said I was interested in paediatrics). Dissection is good to mention but don't go down the surgery route, It's not a beneficial part of your personal statement in any way, save the word count for other things.

MMI's nothing out the ordinary, just be yourself to stand out, no unusual questions all very much the usual suspects you'd expect in any interview. I.e. why medicine? What W/E you've done? other careers considered other than medicine. But mostly be yourself and don't give them the standard cookie cutter answers. I made some ridiculous comments in my MMI and made them laugh - but it probably helped to show i had a personality.

ReputationRep:
    I can't recommend enough the whole just "be yourself" bit. I bombed my first MMI station by running completely out of things to say, and even confessed as much. For the others, having thought I'd messed up the pressure was kinda off and I just acted like myself and answered honestly. The last woman on my MMI was determined not to laugh but I got her there in the end

I'm not saying you should prepare a list of one liners but being able to relax and communicate effectively is the single biggest hurdle.

ReputationRep:
    I still wouldn't say you'e interested in surgery specifically, it's risky as they can spin it in the interview massively! Especially when they ask why? (trust me I was grilled when i said I was interested in paediatrics). Dissection is good to mention but don't go down the surgery route, It's not a beneficial part of your personal statement in any way, save the word count for other things.

MMI's nothing out the ordinary, just be yourself to stand out, no unusual questions all very much the usual suspects you'd expect in any interview. I.e. why medicine? What W/E you've done? other careers considered other than medicine. But mostly be yourself and don't give them the standard cookie cutter answers. I made some ridiculous comments in my MMI and made them laugh - but it probably helped to show i had a personality.
    Thank you! Really helpful response!
    Okay, that's a relief that the MMIs are fairly normal. Whereabouts was your MMI at King's btw? Just curious haha. I would imagine the MMIs would need to be in a hall or something kinda big to fit everyone in? Also, is it just one interviewer at each station? Sorry for all these really specific questions.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! Really helpful response!
    Okay, that's a relief that the MMIs are fairly normal. Whereabouts was your MMI at King's btw? Just curious haha. I would imagine the MMIs would need to be in a hall or something kinda big to fit everyone in? Also, is it just one interviewer at each station? Sorry for all these really specific questions.
    It was in the clinical skills centre at Guyss (did it 2.5 years ago now though!). All in one room... it is essentially speed dating and each booth had 1 person in and a chair for you to sit in.

ReputationRep:
    All in one room... it is essentially speed dating and each booth had 1 person in and a chair for you to sit in.
    God if that analogy is correct then older, bitter people are really not into me...

ReputationRep:
    no its not a good idea , i considered this as an answer to the why doctor instead of nurse question in interview and realized it was a bit get out and narrow minded... consider that you have no idea what you want to do until you really experience/learn it

ReputationRep:
    Thanks!
    That cat question is just something random created by the 600 questions book i think, don't worry about anything like that for kings .. if youre applying for kings really work on your ukcat practice because their ukcat threshold is higher than most unis... i did the kings interview this year and as lcsurfer says it is all fairly standard.. some graph reading , why medicine , some case reading before ... it still allows you to draw on your work experience, maybe not as much as Warwick for example , but it still gives a chance to be individual

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H-W-T)
    no its not a good idea , i considered this as an answer to the why doctor instead of nurse question in interview and realized it was a bit get out and narrow minded... consider that you have no idea what you want to do until you really experience/learn it
    Did they actually ask that question in an interview? I've heard that's a good question to prepare for...
    Yeah, that's true. So, in my personal statement I'm assuming it would be fine to write that playing the flute since age of 7 gives manual dexterity?

ReputationRep:
    Did they actually ask that question in an interview? I've heard that's a good question to prepare for...
    Yeah, that's true. So, in my personal statement I'm assuming it would be fine to write that playing the flute since age of 7 gives manual dexterity?
    i think i would avoid talking about manual dexterity , my ps was focused on

reasons why I chose the career (particular life event or reason)
    what i learnt from work experience - in particular :
    Resilience (emotionally tough HCA work)
    Compassion
    Communication skills (adult support worker)
    What it takes to be doctor (following surgeon - work life balance etc)
    Whats else is involved and whether it suits you (teaching - suits me because i coach cricket etc)

I think if you want to talk about extra curricular focus more on how they develop virtues like team work , respect and diligence ... i talked about how my sport did this ... that sort of stuff seems better received than manual dexterity and you can avoid dodgy questions in interview

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H-W-T)
    i think i would avoid talking about manual dexterity , my ps was focused on

reasons why I chose the career (particular life event or reason)
    what i learnt from work experience - in particular :
    Resilience (emotionally tough HCA work)
    Compassion
    Communication skills (adult support worker)
    What it takes to be doctor (following surgeon - work life balance etc)
    Whats else is involved and whether it suits you (teaching - suits me because i coach cricket etc)

I think if you want to talk about extra curricular focus more on how they develop virtues like team work , respect and diligence ... i talked about how my sport did this ... that sort of stuff seems better received than manual dexterity and you can avoid dodgy questions in interview
    Thanks for that! Do you know if we have to state the dates we carried out the work experience? I'm aware St George's asks for evidence of work experience, including dates, when called for interview although don't think I'm doing the GAMSAT so won't be applying there. It's just that I did the majority of my volunteering about 2 years ago as I was planning to do medicine before this degree... D: Although, of course I've been doing some, but not a lot, of volunteering during my degree.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.