The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by simba_n
Offer has come through on track but sixth form policy says I can't firm it until the heads of year have seen my mock results and think I can realistically meet the offer 😒

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's crazy! They have no say in it whatsoever, you're the one who is accepting the offer anyway (there's nothing they can do to stop you from physically clicking the button).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by simba_n
Offer has come through on track but sixth form policy says I can't firm it until the heads of year have seen my mock results and think I can realistically meet the offer ������

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's a very odd rule! I highly doubt they'd ever tell you not to firm Oxford though, so I suppose it's safe to wait just in case the school decides to be ridiculous and not enter you in for A2s or something.
Saw my track update but can't firm as it's under maintenance..skeeeeen :frown:
My UCAS track updated saying that I have an offer from the second college I was interviewed at. However the college I applied to said that I had been rejected altogether on the 7th...
Original post by thomashigginson
My UCAS track updated saying that I have an offer from the second college I was interviewed at. However the college I applied to said that I had been rejected altogether on the 7th...

That's very odd... I'd hazard a guess that the Track update is more likely to be incorrect than the letter but you should probably email the college to make sure.
Original post by Chlorophile
That's very odd... I'd hazard a guess that the Track update is more likely to be incorrect than the letter but you should probably email the college to make sure.

That's what I thought! I called Queen's (the college I applied to) and they said that I've been rejected from there but there's been bad communication with Corpus Christi. There was no one there today so I have to wait until monday but the head of Oxbridge admissions at my school said that this has happened before and that people did get offers!
If your rejection letter was for Queen's it doesn't mean that Corpus Christi necessarily rejected you as well, so there's hope!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 787

Ohhhh I really hope you've got the offer, it'd be awful for them to give you that hope and then snatch it away again!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 788

I was under the impressions that UCAS is quite binding so if you firm it now they would struggle to take it away from you....

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've got an offer for PPE at Merton, and I'm from Hertfordshire :smile:
That's what I thought! I called Queen's (the college I applied to) and they said that I've been rejected from there but there's been bad communication with Corpus Christi. There was no one there today so I have to wait until monday but the head of Oxbridge admissions at my school said that this has happened before and that people did get offers!

Communication with Corpus, in my experience as a Corpus offer holder, is somewhat... lacking.
Original post by Yaz97
Ohhhh I really hope you've got the offer, it'd be awful for them to give you that hope and then snatch it away again!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! That's really really sweet of you, do you have an offer? x
Original post by Rifleboy123
CS offer holder here :smile: Oxford emphasize that they're looking at your mathematical and logical ability more than any CS knowledge. People can get a place without ever having coded before as long as they display the potential and ability required. However, make sure that they can see your genuine interest in the subject. Reading a couple of books is always a good start, though don't expect a huge chunk of your PS to appear at interview.

To give yourself the best chance I'd start looking at MAT past papers (the hardest one ever was this year and last year so good luck with your one XD) and familiarise yourself with its content and structure. With regards to the CS (mostly logical) questions in the MAT, I found What is the Name of this Book? to be particularly interesting and helpful.

Thank you XD.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 793
Thank you! That's really really sweet of you, do you have an offer? x

Yes, an open offer for Experimental Psychology (stayed at Brasenose with a second interview at Somerville). What's your subject?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Chlorophile
So weird seeing the offer on Track...

...What a stupid rule? Your school doesn't get any say in the matter!

Original post by jonathanyyt
That's crazy! They have no say in it whatsoever, you're the one who is accepting the offer anyway (there's nothing they can do to stop you from physically clicking the button).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Rifleboy123
That's a very odd rule! I highly doubt they'd ever tell you not to firm Oxford though, so I suppose it's safe to wait just in case the school decides to be ridiculous and not enter you in for A2s or something.

The policy is mainly for people who aim too high when applying for unis then have nowhere to go in the summer and blame the school. But personally, I under achieve massively in my mocks so the system isn't suited to me. Unfortunately the heads don't know this so they'll probably start worrying and call me out to ask what's going on with my grades, when really my teachers and I aren't worried. I would firm oxford no matter what and my insurance will also have quite a high offer but I'm taking the risk of ending up with no uni in the summer rather than ending up at an insurance I don't like and that doesn't do me justice for all my hard work throughout school. And I'm happy to do that, I don't think its any of their business.
Original post by Yaz97
Yes, an open offer for Experimental Psychology (stayed at Brasenose with a second interview at Somerville). What's your subject?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Experimental Psychology as well!
What is an open offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Edminzodo
What is an open offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The college(s)/PPH who interviewed you don't want you but they think you're good enough for Oxford.

Most likely to be allocated to St Catherine's College.
Original post by personage
are u a scientist?

Social scientist/educationalist/applied linguist.
Original post by GailQ
Ahh track finally updated, it wasn't a mistake (I know that sounds stupid, but I was genuinely starting to doubt) and I can make my choices - still deciding on insurance so I'll leave it a while.

Haha many people think it's a mistake when they receive an offer from Oxford. The imposter syndrome.

Latest

Trending

Trending