Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowie)
    I put put an electromagnet between source and detector and drew this Attachment 557515

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That is clever Definitely going to get credit there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingaaran)
    I think you'll be fine - it sounds valid
    Phew. For the volume one after compression and raise in temperature, my volume actually increased and I got like 0.27 something mols, I'm sure I got it wrong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by duncant)
    yea this paper was pretty difficult. I didnt get the first calculation to do with the eye. I remember getting 57% for the x ray calculation to do with 12mm. what about you?
    What calculation was that???

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Any idea what the ums is going to be, same as other years?

ReputationRep:
    for the tick boxes question it was to break all intermolecular bonds as the others implied the same thing ie increase in speed kinetic energy.

Increase in temperature question molecular increase in speed as they gain kinetic enrgy up to a maximum value i think u had to state max value her possibly.

0.034 for some distance question in turning points
    and for the question after the proof of 1-v^2/c^2 it was the 3km and length contraction so some 0.036 m etc smaller value in meteres as asked.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by particlestudent)
    I didn't mention aluminium at all . I said plot count rate against 1/distance squared and if it is a complete straight line then it is only a gamma emitter
    I only put something along the lines of a thin metal sheet between the emitter and the detector as it would stop beta particles and any changes to the count rate would be due to the presence of beta as alpha lacks the range (0.9m). How many marks would I get?

ReputationRep:
    Phew. For the volume one after compression and raise in temperature, my volume actually increased and I got like 0.27 something mols, I'm sure I got it wrong
    I got 0.066 moles I think. You had to work out the constant of proportionality between P, V and T, use the formula to work out the new volume in the first part and divide the constant by 8.31 to get the number of moles in the second

ReputationRep:
    for the first question, did you use the angle as 42.5? in sintheta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CourtlyCanter)
    I only put something along the lines of a thin metal sheet between the emitter and the detector as it would stop beta particles and any changes to the count rate would be due to the presence of beta as alpha lacks the range (0.9m). How many marks would I get?
    Probably 2 out of 2, that is technically the main valid way of checking

ReputationRep:
    That is clever Definitely going to get credit there
    I don't think so.. I think it needed to be mentioned to put aluminium between:/ hopefully will get a nice market ahah

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mango Milkshake)
    I used 42, is this 42.5 figure meant to be significant? I jus read off the graph

ReputationRep:
    I got 0.066 moles I think. You had to work out the constant of proportionality between P, V and T, use the formula to work out the new volume in the first part and divide the constant by 8.31 to get the number of moles in the second
    yes!!!

ReputationRep:
    do you remember what you got for the new volume? i got something like 3.64x10^-4?

ReputationRep:
    I used 42, is this 42.5 figure meant to be significant? I jus read off the graph
    should be fine, i read off graph too. they will have a range

ReputationRep:
    Okay I got that wrong then

ReputationRep:
    Didn't correct for count rate, 1 or 2 gone.
    Unit for latent wrong - 1 gone.
    Detecting beta - 1 gone.
    6 marker - default 2 gone.

Used wrong method for specific charge - 3 gone.
    Current - 2 gone.
    6 marker - default 2 gone.

So 13 lost. Then presumably losing however many more for mark schemes that are stupidly specific or contradictory.

Probably got around 50, which should hopefully be around an A.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mango Milkshake)
    used 42

ReputationRep:
    I'm such an idiot!!! I didn't see the last question in the astrophysics paper... it was so blended in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanyapotter)
    do you remember what you got for the new volume? i got something like 3.64x10^-4?
    i think i got that

ReputationRep:
    Lol all you had to do for the moles question was 0.0012/0.018 for the moles. Where 0.0012 and 0.018 were the volumes given. You could just use p1v1/t1 = p2v2/t2 for the part earlier, no need to calc the constant.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.