Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Cambridge IGCSE English Language (May 3rd 2016) official thread watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellamoon_22)
    this paper was the hardest ive seen and done. There were too many inferences. I started with question 3 which was my first time doing that the points were hard to find and the summary was just weird. Question 1 i only wrote about the first bullet point i didnt know how to word my thing and also i just got writers block. I knew the points but i couldnt write. Why the hell was question 2 so hard. I couldnt find good phrases and also the paragraphs were so thim there wasnt a lot of choice
    i died in question 2 omg there was legit nothing

(Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    What exam board is this for? :cookie: UWhat's the exam code?
    0522 IGCSE Cambridge

ReputationRep:
    What exam board is this for? :cookie: What's the exam code?
    Cambridge, 0522

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevin:))
    Can anyone please tell me if you lose marks if the summary is too short... I think i wrote just a bit over 100 words
    I don't think you would lose any marks unless you didn't include the 15 points you previously listed

ReputationRep:
    Would i lose many marks if i got a little confused and thought that Mr Head won the competition instead of Maria? (I wrote like one sentence about it
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by FaisalNaeem03)
    0522 IGCSE Cambridge
    (Original post by EnglishExamTomo)
    Cambridge, 0522
    Thank you - is this the official thread? I'll merge if so - that means everyone will be in the same place so it's easier

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mint.skyscrapers)
    Can we just create a hashtag on twitter to get them to lower the grade boundaries
    This or just hope everyone nationally does worse than expected as well so the grade boundaries just naturally go down (although it's very mean to wish someone else did bad as well)

ReputationRep:
    q1) I repeated myself so much! Ugh I hated it and I missed out loads of development.
    q2) Fine, until the second part where all of the quotations were awful.
    q3) Also quite repetitive, but hopefully I get at least 12 of the points.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellamoon_22)
    This paper was the hardest ive seen and done. THERE WERE TOO MANY INFERENCES. i started with question 3 which was my first time doing that the points were hard to find and the summary was just weird. Question 1 i only wrote about the first bullet point I didnt know how to word my thing and also I just got writers block. I knew the points but I couldnt write. WHY THE HELL WAS QUESTION 2 SO HARD. I couldnt find good phrases and also the paragraphs were so thim there wasnt a lot of choice
    Question 1 looked okay but there were hardly any points. The paragraphs for q2 had barely any words and for q3 the points werent clear

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0lut0)
    I nearly ran out of time to complete question 3b. There was 5 more minutes left so I just rushed my points. I pray I got atleast 30 or late 20's to secure that A.
    Yeah the exact same happened to me! Had to rush question 3B but apart from that, I think it went okay 😊

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vasuxx)
    Omfg ikr there was nothing i had no idea what to write

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vasuxx)
    I did 4 phrases and general effect, general effect and 3 partly finished phrases. I am an A grade student and I actually feel like I got 15/50
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    What did you guys put for the third point on Q1?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13384)
    Would i lose many marks if i got a little confused and thought that Mr Head won the competition instead of Maria? (I wrote like one sentence about it
    I highly doubt you would but even if you did it would probably only be about a mark deducted off your reading mark

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pugsofwesteros)
    q1) I repeated myself so much! Ugh I hated it and I missed out loads of development.
    q2) Fine, until the second part where all of the quotations were awful.
    q3) Also quite repetitive, but hopefully I get at least 12 of the points.
    Try not to doubt yourself otherwise, you will begin to overthink! U tried your best, that's all that matters & you won't be the only one 😊

ReputationRep:
    What exam board is this for? :cookie: What's the exam code?
    Cambridge International Examinations, i think its 0500/21

ReputationRep:
    Omf i put one point for a3 and that was to look after mr head in hospital ffs im so dumb im a failure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0lut0)
    I nearly ran out of time to complete question 3b. There was 5 more minutes left so I just rushed my points. I pray I got atleast 30 or late 20's to secure that A.
    same man when there was 5 mins left i was like oh **** and rushed summary. no time to check

ReputationRep:
    Hey, well did you actually count the number of words? Because if your writing is small enough, you could hit just about 200 without knowing. How much did you write a4 wise?

I think if you manage to mention all15 points, even though some a wrong, you can still get 5/5... However it says write 200-250 words so im unsure? But let's say you get 4/5, you only loose a mark! That's one of the reasons they recommend us to leave the summary last, don't worry!

(Original post by Kevin:))
    Can anyone please tell me if you lose marks if the summary is too short... I think i wrote just a bit over 100 words

ReputationRep:
    Apparently the examiners positive mark???

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 28, 2016
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.