TSR Med Students' Society Part VI

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    tbh, I'm just finding approaching them quite daunting sometimes. They're all so busy
    Ah yes, the "look busy so nobody asks you to do more work" look. You'll soon come to master this yourself. Eye contact is the downfall of leaving work on time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Etomidate)
    Ah yes, the "look busy so nobody asks you to do more work" look. You'll soon come to master this yourself. Eye contact is the downfall of leaving work on time.
    Haha. Think I am already doing that :O

Side note, got into a random debate in our firm on using patient images (MRI CT etc anonymous ofc) in stuff like grand rounds. Half were saying you should get consent separately whilst half said "meh it's anonymous"

I thought it was the latter, and it was legally allowed. Am I mistaken?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hslakaal)
    Haha. Think I am already doing that :O

Side note, got into a random debate in our firm on using patient images (MRI CT etc anonymous ofc) in stuff like grand rounds. Half were saying you should get consent separately whilst half said "meh it's anonymous"

I thought it was the latter, and it was legally allowed. Am I mistaken?
    Currently there isn't a rule that I'm aware of, but bear in mind that only a few years ago you could publish a case study (anonymised etc) without permission, whereas now you're expected to submit written consent forms from all included patients even if they've left the country (or from relatives if they've died). Things are changing and the fact that its anonymous doesn't seem to matter.

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, from your experience... am I allowed on placement with Glandular Fever? I feel well enough, just about, and I know it's only spread through very close contact/ respiratory droplets?

No one tells you about the fact that medicine is full of hardcore alcoholics in the open days, every time I say to myself "today I will catch up" a sesh appears.

ReputationRep:
    No one tells you about the fact that medicine is full of hardcore alcoholics in the open days, every time I say to myself "today I will catch up" a sesh appears.
    I thought it was well known that medics tended to work hard play hard.

You don't have to go to that 'sesh' though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    Currently there isn't a rule that I'm aware of, but bear in mind that only a few years ago you could publish a case study (anonymised etc) without permission, whereas now you're expected to submit written consent forms from all included patients even if they've left the country (or from relatives if they've died). Things are changing and the fact that its anonymous doesn't seem to matter.
    Asked one of the SpRs. Apparently it doesn't matter. Think he's right:

From GMC

Spoiler:
    Show
    Disclosure and use of recordings made as part of the patient’s care

17. You may disclose anonymised or coded recordings for use in research, teaching or training, or other healthcare-related purposes without consent. In deciding whether a recording is anonymised, you should bear in mind that apparently insignificant details may still be capable of identifying the patient. You should be particularly careful about the anonymity of such recordings before using or publishing them without consent, in journals and other learning materials, whether they are printed or in an electronic format.

quick question: does anybody know during which months the bulk of anatomy teaching takes place at Sheffield? Looking to try and avoid it for a short term education job

ReputationRep:
    Submitted FPAS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    Submitted FPAS
    Ohhh exciting! Hoping to stay where you are, or go elsewhere?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Etomidate)
    In my current job I have the opposite problem of finishing things fast and having nothing to do despite asking people if they want to offload work as I am free.

You don't need to go to every sesh. Although my Bake of Sesh yesterday did get out of hand, half a bottle of wine! and I call myself a public health physician. Extrapolating from the previous weeks 1/3 bottle on bake off the semi final will be alone with Mr Pinot and a straw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForestCat)
    Ohhh exciting! Hoping to stay where you are, or go elsewhere?
    Yeh staying here, which means effectively I know my location (competition was 0.8 last year wooo!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    Yeh staying here, which means effectively I know my location (competition was 0.8 last year wooo!)
    Niiiicee... hopefully that means pick of jobs? Anything high on your list?

It is one of the areas I'm considering when its my turn next year. So you'll have to let me know what you think.

ReputationRep:
    quick question: does anybody know during which months the bulk of anatomy teaching takes place at Sheffield? Looking to try and avoid it for a short term education job
    Every Monday or Tuesday depending on which half class you've been placed in. Why do you want to avoid anatomy? The average Joe doesn't get to dissect humans, so why run away from such priveledge?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    Submitted FPAS
    Same :/ super scary! Ive just got to finish off an AFP one, still no idea what to write for it though*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lcsurfer)
    Same :/ super scary! Ive just got to finish off an AFP one, still no idea what to write for it though*
    Ohh, what kind of things are you hoping to do?

Sorry to hear about the getting dumped but whoop well done on London. First marathon?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ezme39)
    Hey everyone, from your experience... am I allowed on placement with Glandular Fever? I feel well enough, just about, and I know it's only spread through very close contact/ respiratory droplets?
    If you're not sure, I'd give yourself a break (follow your uni's policy for calling in sick etc). You may not be infectious but with glandular fever you don't want to push yourself too hard and end up with prolonged issues, fatigue etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    Submitted FPAS
    Me too! I'm quite excited now :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maxxie)
    Me too! I'm quite excited now :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Submitted. Can't say I'm excited though! Eeek

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've already submitted my FPAS but was wondering if there is absolutely no way to change it before the deadline? Thanks to anyone who can offer any advice

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 10, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.