Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Lampard came on, slowed the game down and was generally horrible. Joe Cole is a selfish piece of crap sometimes. He is good, but he is too conceited and would be a great player if he could be more in the team-player role. Rooney and Owen is not a front pairing we should be looking to use IMO, particularly when Owen is off the pace as he was today. Barry and Gerrard look to be a good pairing, but Gerrard was really mediocre today, I was rather disappointed.

ReputationRep:
    McClaren has a happy knack of lucking into good things. One of my Boro mates first pointed this out to me. Eg, injuries forced him to pick Bolo and Arca centre mid and they were revelations. Desperation forced him into playing 4 strikers and 2 games in a row they came back from 3 goals adrift to win.

ReputationRep:
    Once is enough, Robbie I think Rooney and Owen is our only option for up front. Owen didn't do much today but he cant score a brace every game.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronaldo VII)
    I think even Barry on left wing and Hargreaves in the middle is better than Downing on the left.
    i'd happily try that so long as Joe Cole was moved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobbieC)
    Lampard came on, slowed the game down and was generally horrible. Joe Cole is a selfish piece of crap sometimes. He is good, but he is too conceited and would be a great player if he could be more in the team-player role. Rooney and Owen is not a front pairing we should be looking to use IMO, particularly when Owen is off the pace as he was today. Barry and Gerrard look to be a good pairing, but Gerrard was really mediocre today, I was rather disappointed.
    Gerrard has been nothing better than mediocre since the Liverpool/Chelsea game. Thing is, Liverpools main other creative middie is injured, so we get the mediocrity from him every week.

ReputationRep:
    From the few games i seen Barry on the left i dont rate him there, does much better in the middle, but will he keep his place in the middle?

ReputationRep:
    He's pretty good but looks pretty slow too, which is his main weakness.
    I mean if your generally filling in as the DM/deeper player/play maker (which is kinda what he is doing) with Gerrard going more forwards etc, then you'd expect he will need to chase back but against a fast counter attack, we'll he'd be kinda useless so would expose the back 4...
    Whereas Hargreaves you could see having more chance of getting back + making a great tackle/being sent off :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chewy!)
    McClaren has a happy knack of lucking into good things. One of my Boro mates first pointed this out to me. Eg, injuries forced him to pick Bolo and Arca centre mid and they were revelations.
    er
    Arca was signed by Gareth Southgate

ReputationRep:
    Lescott seemed rather out of place when he came on in the second half. Don't know if it was just nerves, or what.

Lampard looked worse though, i think his exclusion from the squad is looking the right thing. Not that sure about Barry against top class opposition, no real chance to see that yet, Hargreaves would work better (though McClaren would have to be brave to drop Barry now).

Joe Cole is a player im never quite sure of, but he has shown enough on the left wing that i think he is a better choice than the likes of Downing.

I like SWP, but im not sure he has the quality, in truth. He plays well, but i keep thinking is that it. If he doesn't have any improvements in his game, then Beckham is a better choice.

Up front, it has to be Rooney and Owen for now. I'd rather not have Owen, but there are few alternatives.

ReputationRep:
    Croatia have moved 3 points ahead again. They won 1-0 with Eduardo scoring.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mermania)
    er
    Arca was signed by Gareth Southgate
    who am i thinking of then? you're clearly right, but i could have sworn it was arca? maybe i just got confused - it been a long day...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eru Iluvatar)
    Lescott seemed rather out of place when he came on in the second half. Don't know if it was just nerves, or what.

Lampard looked worse though, i think his exclusion from the squad is looking the right thing. Not that sure about Barry against top class opposition, no real chance to see that yet, Hargreaves would work better (though McClaren would have to be brave to drop Barry now).

Joe Cole is a player im never quite sure of, but he has shown enough on the left wing that i think he is a better choice than the likes of Downing.

I like SWP, but im not sure he has the quality, in truth. He plays well, but i keep thinking is that it. If he doesn't have any improvements in his game, then Beckham is a better choice.

Up front, it has to be Rooney and Owen for now. I'd rather not have Owen, but there are few alternatives.
    ;yes; I'd agree with all of that.

I think we'll see how far as a team we have come when we play Russia on Wednesday.

It seems odd that its 4pm kickoff, I expect a lot will be working at that time. Not me though, I finish at 1pm on Wednesdays

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronaldo VII)
    ;yes; I'd agree with all of that.

I think we'll see how far as a team we have come when we play Russia on Wednesday.

It seems odd that its 4pm kickoff, I expect a lot will be working at that time. Not me though, I finish at 1pm on Wednesdays
    er - because it's in Russia?

ReputationRep:
    You don't say. I know why it is at 4pm, its just odd as its a rare thing for England games.

ReputationRep:
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooo

I start work next week and will miss it

ReputationRep:
    I think I agree with some people here there is an element of fortune about McClaren's team selections. It's picked on the basis of injuries and yet he's found a balanced team that's suddenly winning games. I mean if Lampard and Beckham never got injured they probably would still have played.

Looks like he's looking to accomodate Lampard somehow into the team with a 4-3-3 formation, not sure it's a wise move, rather have another holding midfielder like Hargreaves (if he was fit). As long as they don't lose they'll qualify so a commited professional performance (like against Turkey away in that euro 2004 qualifyer) and I would be confident about coming away with something. But McClaren arsing around with the team I think would worry me a bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Synergetic)
    lol I really don't remember that. It sounds really pathetic. What league was that in?
    The PL - I'm thinkig Chopra.. gets booed like mad because he played for Newcastle..scores awinner and gets cheered liek a hero from then on.

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clubber Lang)
    The PL - I'm thinkig Chopra.. gets booed like mad because he played for Newcastle..scores awinner and gets cheered liek a hero from then on.

:rolleyes:
    Can't be Newcastle, surely?! They have the best fans in the world

ReputationRep:
    How long is Cashley out for, then?! Hopefully a nice long time. He'd enjoy that. Picking up his paychecks without lifting a finger.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Synergetic)
    Can't be Newcastle, surely?! They have the best fans in the world
    It was his own fans... Sunderland.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.