Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jibberish)
    I said at the start of the summer that we need a CB but everyone believed it wasn't necessary. Honestly I much as I respect Wenger, he has got a lot of things wrong this time around. What is the point in having Sagna play as a CB and force yourself to play a second choice RB. As good as Jenkinson is, the team shouldn't be forced into playing him. It should be a choice thats dependent on the opposition and form of Jenkinson and not whether or not anyone is available to play at RB.
    What you on about? I'm pretty sure everyone or the majority at least knew/said we needed a fourth choice CB. The issue was whether Williams was a suitable fourth choice given age and price.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nwakaeme)
    The difference between Tottenham and Arsenal last year was that Tottenham could actually compete with the "bigger clubs". They beat United (at Old Trafford), beat City, and beat you. The only big club Arsenal beat in the PL last season was Tottenham.
    There are 20 teams in the league. Just saying..........................

ReputationRep:
    So are you puffs gonna take to the streets to protest about your club or is it gonna take another arse stuffing from Gazidis to provoke it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    There are 20 teams in the league. Just saying..........................
    you never got 3 points from Chelsea, City, or United last season if you think theres nothing wrong with that then i guess you should be content with fourt place. enjoy it..

ReputationRep:
    Btw, regarding Luiz Gustavo: Wolfsburg offering 20M euroes (£17M) and Arsenal are refusing to budge from their £14M valuation, the Guardian reports.

ReputationRep:
    you never got 3 points from Chelsea, City, or United last season if you think theres nothing wrong with that then i guess you should be content with fourt place. enjoy it..
    And United have won the league multiple times without beating any of the 'big' teams.............

ReputationRep:
    It's worth pointing out that in 2003/04 season we only used 22 players in total in the PL. Including a single sub appearance from Hoyte, 1 (7) from Aliadiere, 2 (7) from Kanu, 3 (5) from Keown.

I don't think we're massively thin but a couple of additions are really all we need.

ReputationRep:
    Spurs never got 3 points from Chelsea, Everton, Norwich and Wigan. Is there something wrong with that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    What you on about? I'm pretty sure everyone or the majority at least knew/said we needed a fourth choice CB. The issue was whether Williams was a suitable fourth choice given age and price.
    If I had time I would try to find quotes that said that we shouldn't worry about the CB position and should instead focus on DM, CF and even a winger. Anyway the point is that we always ignore the back four at the start of every season and while Mert, Kos, Sagna and Gibbs are great together they are all injury prone and there needs to be a plan B that doesn't involve Sagna playing out of position or brining in Miquel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmperorMustard)
    Spurs never got 3 points from Chelsea, Everton, Norwich and Wigan. Is there something wrong with that?
    No because they got 4 from Manchester United and 3 from City?

ReputationRep:
    No because they got 4 from Manchester United and 3 from City?
    I'd be more concerned about failing to get 3 points from Norwich and Wigan rather than United and City.

ReputationRep:
    I'd be more concerned about failing to get 3 points from Norwich and Wigan rather than United and City.
    That penalty decision at the Emirates v Norwich was a joke. Probably the difference between 4th and 5th for us tbh

ReputationRep:
    There's no way they're keeping Bale with all these players coming in. I reckon they have an agreement with Madrid to keep the deal under wraps until the end of the window, allowing Spurs to bring in players for prices that aren't inflated.
    Don't understand why this is being said so often. AVB was reportedly given a £50m budget thanks to a cash injection, with more funds available should the right opportunity arise. They've spent £59m on players, but have generated £19m from player sales ie. a net spend of £40m, with Gallas and Bentley leaving to free up some of the wage budget too. Obviously it's not as simple as that with payment over time deals for Soldado, money still owed from Modric, etc. etc. but the point is Spurs don't need to sell Bale to buy players. RM were offering payment in installments anyway so it's not like they'd be given a cheque for £100m to just spunk in one transfer window.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nickini)
    Don't understand why this is being said so often. AVB was reportedly given a £50m budget thanks to a cash injection, with more funds available should the right opportunity arise. They've spent £59m on players, but have generated £19m from player sales ie. a net spend of £40m, with Gallas and Bentley leaving to free up some of the wage budget too. Obviously it's not as simple as that with payment over time deals for Soldado, money still owed from Modric, etc. etc. but the point is Spurs don't need to sell Bale to buy players. RM were offering payment in installments anyway so it's not like they'd be given a cheque for £100m to just spunk in one transfer window.
    If true, this only goes to highlight the incompetency of the Arsenal board then. Being outspent by a team without CL football and nowhere near the income Arsenal have, they really have no excuses for the current situation.

ReputationRep:
    If true, this only goes to highlight the incompetency of the Arsenal board then. Being outspent by a team without CL football and nowhere near the income Arsenal have, they really have no excuses for the current situation.
    But Bale is basically collateral if anything doesn't work out. They don't generate much as they're not a big club with a huge following.

If they failed to make Champions League spending all this money and didn't have Bale, they could get into all sorts of financial mess. Fact is they can go out and spend £40/50m net and know that if it doesn't work out, they sell Bale next summer for £60/70m. But if it works out they'll profit from CL revenue.

Other line is Bale could go this season and they'll still have £50m saved against possible failures next season if this £100m figure is true.

ReputationRep:
    So are you puffs gonna take to the streets to protest about your club or is it gonna take another arse stuffing from Gazidis to provoke it?
    you do realise Arsenal fans did protest and take to the streets about the board last season, right?

ReputationRep:
    Wenger is saying Arsenal will be active in the window until the end. But I swear we've been active the last few weeks.

Also anyone notice how Wenger always uses other teams to show that Arsenal are not the only one in a particular situation. In don't really like when he does that - who gives a toss what others are doing?!

Seems like Wenger reluctantly sold Gervinho. I do think it was a mistake selling him. £8m in football today is nothing and as a bench player, Gervinho would have been fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glousck)
    you do realise Arsenal fans did protest and take to the streets about the board last season, right?
    To say not many people know about it means it can't have been very forcefull

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    Wenger is saying Arsenal will be active in the window until the end. But I swear we've been active the last few weeks.

Also anyone notice how Wenger always uses other teams to show that Arsenal are not the only one in a particular situation. In don't really like when he does that - who gives a toss what others are doing?!

Seems like Wenger reluctantly sold Gervinho. I do think it was a mistake selling him. £8m in football today is nothing and as a bench player, Gervinho would have been fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    He does that to divert our attention.

Also a back up so he can come along at the end of the transfer window and say 'Chelsea and United have not also strengthened heavily, I think this indicates that there is little value in the transfer market at the moment. I think our squad is very strong and I believe we have the mentality to have a strong season'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noone29)
    He does that to divert our attention.

Also a back up so he can come along at the end of the transfer window and say 'Chelsea and United have not also strengthened heavily, I think this indicates that there is little value in the transfer market at the moment. I think our squad is very strong and I believe we have the mentality to have a strong season'.
    Why do you think that Wenger is hell bent on destroying the club and looking for excuses? Do you not believe he is looking to add to the squad? If even half of the rumours this summer are to be believed then we are looking to do business. Its not always as straightforward and you could criticise Wenger on how he has dealt with transfers (or lack of) this summer. To say though that Wenger is making these statements as an excuse to not sign anyone doesn't seem right. I'm sure he will find the right players by the end of the transfer window..just a matter of time.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.