Turn on thread page Beta
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Shakz)
    It was a joke actually....im already at cambridge reading medicine
    But still you're having to sit C2 maths exams...?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kadak)
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Dear God.Watched a bbc panorama programme on antimicrobial resistance, your life as a doctor could be grim.
    Haha what was so grim about it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nurav11)
    Haha what was so grim about it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

If something isn't done about antibiotic resistance, things like transplant surgery,cancer treatment,hip replacements,general surgery will be impossible.

ReputationRep:
    I know this might be a cliche question but I've had so much different information regarding it - if you take Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics and you're applying to Medicine which three are your 'most relevant' subjects?

(Original post by Kadak)
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Dear God.Watched a bbc panorama programme on antimicrobial resistance, your life as a doctor could be grim.
    Nah it won't be grim. They'll be getting enough money and prestige

(Original post by BioStudentx)
    I know this might be a cliche question but I've had so much different information regarding it - if you take Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics and you're applying to Medicine which three are your 'most relevant' subjects?
    I'd say Chemistry and Maths would be most relevant, and then a pick from either Biology and Physics (or even both combined). I'm pretty sure Maths is compulsory for medicine at Cambridge so yeah Maths would definitely be taken into account.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kadak)
    Posted from TSR Mobile

If something isn't done about antibiotic resistance, things like transplant surgery,cancer treatment,hip replacements,general surgery will be impossible.
    Antibiotic resistance will become a massively growing problem in the future, it's already started with super resistant TB and yes, it can mean routine operations may become compromised but the drug industry is constantly evolving for these dangers and so whilst it's pretty much impossible to ever create a 'super drug' that can kill all strains, there will always be new drugs developed to deal with new resistant strains previously unaffected by old drugs. They take a long time to be produced however, which is the main problem.

It'll be Bio, Chem then whichever is the best out of Physics and Maths . However, I think one slight difference is if you offer those 4 subjects, they'll be interested to see the marks of your 4th subject whereas if you're taking Economics, for example, as a 4th, they won't care about UMS as much. Think that's the case, not 100% sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by enaayrah)
    I'd say Chemistry and Maths would be most relevant, and then a pick from either Biology and Physics (or even both combined). I'm pretty sure Maths is compulsory for medicine at Cambridge so yeah Maths would definitely be taken into account.
    You'd be surprised . All colleges require Chem and Bio as their compulsories with a 'choice of Maths and Physics at AS'. So Maths, Bio, Chem or Physics, Bio and chem can be taken at AS so you can study medicine without doing AS Maths, but nobody does that

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nurav11)
    Antibiotic resistance will become a massively growing problem in the future, it's already started with super resistant TB and yes, it can mean routine operations may become compromised but the drug industry is constantly evolving for these dangers and so whilst it's pretty much impossible to ever create a 'super drug' that can kill all strains, there will always be new drugs developed to deal with new resistant strains previously unaffected by old drugs. They take a long time to be produced however, which is the main problem.

It'll be Bio, Chem then whichever is the best out of Physics and Maths . However, I think one slight difference is if you offer those 4 subjects, they'll be interested to see the marks of your 4th subject whereas if you're taking Economics, for example, as a 4th, they won't care about UMS as much. Think that's the case, not 100% sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But with current human attitudes,the bacteria will become drug resistant rather quickly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by enaayrah)
    Nah it won't be grim. They'll be getting enough money and prestige

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not if hospitals go back to Victorian times,where you went to hospital to die.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Chemistry, Biology,Physics,Maths.
    That's the order of importance.Logs the only useful part of As maths you will prob use as a doctor, when using radioactive tracers and isotopes.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone! I'm taking chemistry, biology, physics and further maths for A-level! I really want to apply for medicine at cambridge, but I know it's really competitive. I think I will score decently with my A-levels because I got 8 A*'s and A and a B for GCSE (in German, bleuugh), and I'm studying hard for my exams. I really, really despise physics though, so I'm struggling alot to keep up, although the unit one exam I think went well, apart from that stupid quark structure question. Got a week before the physics unit 2 exam so i got time to revise tho . I really love chemistry and biology, and Core 1 and 2 maths is pretty easy, despite stats tripping me up a bit. Don't wanna think about core 3 and 4 yet though, but got them about 3 days after the rest of my exams are over, with like a 3-4 day gap between each exam, so i got time to focus on just them and hopefully wont completely fail lol- rooting on doing well in maths so i don't have to rely on physics!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buckeybarnes)
    Hi everyone! I'm taking chemistry, biology, physics and further maths for A-level! I really want to apply for medicine at cambridge, but I know it's really competitive. I think I will score decently with my A-levels because I got 8 A*'s and A and a B for GCSE (in German, bleuugh), and I'm studying hard for my exams. I really, really despise physics though, so I'm struggling alot to keep up, although the unit one exam I think went well, apart from that stupid quark structure question. Got a week before the physics unit 2 exam so i got time to revise tho . I really love chemistry and biology, and Core 1 and 2 maths is pretty easy, despite stats tripping me up a bit. Don't wanna think about core 3 and 4 yet though, but got them about 3 days after the rest of my exams are over, with like a 3-4 day gap between each exam, so i got time to focus on just them and hopefully wont completely fail lol- rooting on doing well in maths so i don't have to rely on physics!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hello barney .Cambridge says they look at your three most important subjects, so as long as you do well in Biology,Chemistry and Maths,the physics doesn't really matter, just make sure you don't get a atrocious grade in like a U or an E.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kadak)
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Chemistry, Biology,Physics,Maths.
    That's the order of importance.Logs the only useful part of As maths you will prob use as a doctor, when using radioactive tracers and isotopes.
    But will maths be involved in my most relevant 3 average? The thing is I will get around 96-97% in my maths but In my physics I messed up my exam so I'm like at 85%. It will make a massive difference for me and I'm always worrying about it.

ReputationRep:
    But will maths be involved in my most relevant 3 average? The thing is I will get around 96-97% in my maths but In my physics I messed up my exam so I'm like at 85%. It will make a massive difference for me and I'm always worrying about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cambridge says they take your strongest three subjects, so if maths is one of them, then Cambridge will use that instead of Physics.
    But IMO,physics is more useful for medicine,most new cancer treatments involve physics like proton beam therapy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kadak)
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hello barney .Cambridge says they look at your three most important subjects, so as long as you do well in Biology,Chemistry and Maths,the physics doesn't really matter, just make sure you don't get a atrocious grade in like a U or an E.
    I'm guessing i might get a C, possibly a B or even an A if i really knuckle down, but the chances aren't very high lol I'm hoping for an A in biology, an A* in chemistry and an A in maths, but I'm doing my entire A-level of maths in one year, and i did get stuck on a bit of the last question in maths core 1 and about 8-12 marks in core 2, so i've gotta do better in statistics lol, the one im horrible at!
    physics unit 1 was actually decent, apart from that stupid quark question (ever heard of a baryon with a strangeness and also a positive charge?- pretty sure its not on the syllabus) and the fact the whole electricity thing was long answer questions about a potato..

Well chatterboxes, we've surpassed 8,000 posts.

By the end of the week after it'll be 10,000

ReputationRep:
    I'm guessing i might get a C, possibly a B or even an A if i really knuckle down, but the chances aren't very high lol I'm hoping for an A in biology, an A* in chemistry and an A in maths, but I'm doing my entire A-level of maths in one year, and i did get stuck on a bit of the last question in maths core 1 and about 8-12 marks in core 2, so i've gotta do better in statistics lol, the one im horrible at!
    physics unit 1 was actually decent, apart from that stupid quark question (ever heard of a baryon with a strangeness and also a positive charge?- pretty sure its not on the syllabus) and the fact the whole electricity thing was long answer questions about a potato..
    I know right man. I didn't realise that K had strangeness and that was like GG 8 marks.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

For the physics try and push it to a B or A if you can.The higher the grade you can achieve, the better. Remember you are competing against students from as far away as China,so the higher, the better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kadak)
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Cambridge says they take your strongest three subjects, so if maths is one of them, then Cambridge will use that instead of Physics.
    But IMO,physics is more useful for medicine,most new cancer treatments involve physics like proton beam therapy.
    If I don't average 90% in my top 3 is there any point applying? (I'm pretty sure I will)

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.