Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    FT reporting that for once Osborne may be sensible, supposing he last long enough, with suggestions of Corporation tax below 15%

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Just what all the Labour voting Brexiteers were after.

ReputationRep:
    Except when they don't?
    In a sense that Labourites backing their leader is for some reason, newsworthy, yes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    I never said it failed, i just think we paid too high a price.
    In what sense exactly?
    NI benefits from Barrett formula but simply can't compete on a level playing field. Financially?

Politically the GFA needed to have a 50/50 cabinet, it needed independent decision making but verify its loyalty to the crown. It needed to legitimise republicanism as a movement and create a democratic option to leave should the NI populace want to. Actually the financial dependence on Britain made it a vote winner to stay Unionist.

Do you mean in the investigations sense? Crimes weren't investigated and criminals released?

I think the opposite, I think as time goes on it deserves more credit. The only downsides I see is that it didn't offer retrospective immunity, didn't address parades, flags, anthem (well, how could it)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    FT reporting that for once Osborne may be sensible, supposing he last long enough, with suggestions of Corporation tax below 15%

Posted from TSR Mobile
    And why on earth would we celebrate a corporation tax cut? How will he pay for it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    And why on earth would we celebrate a corporation tax cut? How will he pay for it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You mean you think it shouldn't be celebrated, drawing business and tax revenues to Britain?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    You mean you think it shouldn't be celebrated, drawing business and tax revenues to Britain?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You should know by now the left-wing are happy to see Britain worse off if it means big businesses, people richer than them, and people who work hard are targeted.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Its context dependent. I disagree with this simplistic --> tax cut = more investment in business, = better pay/more jobs. Especially since it doesn't then explain what will be cut to fund this, benefits big business at a time of wages falling. With surplus abandoned, its presumably also increasing the deficit, which by Tory mantra is financially irresponsible.

I also do despise Sports Direct, for instance, getting a tax cut, when it really should be a tax cut based on working conditions, or green reasons, or charitable reasons, innovative reasons etc. Tax cuts shouldnt be blanket.

In the specific case of modelling, since this is presumably a response to reassure business looking to move across to the EU, I'm sceptical that a tax cut would suffice amidst instability and still no idea about when/if we leave.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    You should know by now the left-wing are happy to see Britain worse off if it means big businesses, people richer than them, and people who work hard are targeted.
    We've already established Nige that you have a strange view of which people in society "work hard"

Also, quite rich when most big businesses opposed leaving the EU for you to claim that the Left hate business.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Its context dependent. I disagree with this simplistic --> tax cut = more investment in business, = better pay/more jobs. Especially since it doesn't then explain what will be cut to fund this, benefits big business at a time of wages falling. With surplus abandoned, its presumably also increasing the deficit, which by Tory mantra is financially irresponsible.

I also do despise Sports Direct, for instance, getting a tax cut, when it really should be a tax cut based on working conditions, or green reasons, or charitable reasons, innovative reasons etc. Tax cuts shouldnt be blanket.

In the specific case of modelling, since this is presumably a response to reassure business looking to move across to the EU, I'm sceptical that a tax cut would suffice amidst instability and still no idea about when/if we leave.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So you reject the proposition that "all other things being mostly equal, a business would rather pay their taxes where they're lower" or is that a leap to far for you that believe in petty morality?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    We've already established Nige that you have a strange view of which people in society "work hard"

Also, quite rich when most big businesses opposed leaving the EU for you to claim that the Left hate business.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Working hard at school to have an easier job when older is more total work than not working hard at school to have an unskilled, physical job when older. That is not true, most SMEs wanted to leave the EU, with SMEs making up most of the businesses in Britain; the EU is liked by big businesses because lobbying the EU is easy.

ReputationRep:
    So you reject the proposition that "all other things being mostly equal, a business would rather pay their taxes where they're lower" or is that a leap to far for you that believe in petty morality?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's a fairly logical simplistic statement.

Ignoring that 1) the instability over the EU means that guaranteed EU access versus the great unknown would IMO cancel out the tax cut benefit

2) the fact that I'm concerned with the economy as a whole, so, again what I said about accepting the deficit and factoring that in, or accepting the waste as some of that, (IMO, most of it for big businesses) ends up outside the economy, so instead of lowering the cost of goods, or buying more, or paying more wages it sits in a bank account. A SME tax cut would be acceptable.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Working hard at school to have an easier job when older is more total work than not working hard at school to have an unskilled, physical job when older. That is not true, most SMEs wanted to leave the EU, with SMEs making up most of the businesses in Britain; the EU is liked by big businesses because lobbying the EU is easy.
    Not true actually.
    https://yougov.co.uk/news/2016/01/25...e-eurosceptic/

Majority of small businesses still vote remain but it does make sense for smaller businesses to support Leave with regulation being a factor. Although if its correct that Britain export more than they import within EU (argument for a low tariff) then it would hit medium size businesses. All speculation I guess.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Not true actually.
    https://yougov.co.uk/news/2016/01/25...e-eurosceptic/

Majority of small businesses still vote remain but it does make sense for smaller businesses to support Leave with regulation being a factor. Although if its correct that Britain export more than they import within EU (argument for a low tariff) then it would hit medium size businesses. All speculation I guess.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If the early poll from before Cameron's renegotiation is ignored, a more recent, more detailed survey shows a very negative view SMEs in Britain have of the EU.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    That's a fairly logical simplistic statement.

Ignoring that 1) the instability over the EU means that guaranteed EU access versus the great unknown would IMO cancel out the tax cut benefit

2) the fact that I'm concerned with the economy as a whole, so, again what I said about accepting the deficit and factoring that in, or accepting the waste as some of that, (IMO, most of it for big businesses) ends up outside the economy, so instead of lowering the cost of goods, or buying more, or paying more wages it sits in a bank account. A SME tax cut would be acceptable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So if you've loaded a pistol pointed at your foot you should just fire rather than removing the round and putting the gun down?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So if you've loaded a pistol pointed at your foot you should just fire rather than removing the round and putting the gun down?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    More like a loaded gun pointed at your foot so either you let it fire or you let 5 criminals into your house, assuming that one of them will take the gun off you. I doubt that that many will be convinced by the cut to stay and again, totally ignoring the up front cost and repercussions of that.

Like putting all your money on a coin toss being "Heads" and celebrating before you toss the coin.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If the early poll from before Cameron's renegotiation is ignored, a more recent, more detailed survey shows a very negative view SMEs in Britain have of the EU.
    Interesting reading, although I am a bit suspicious of its origins "Britain for business and Leave affiliations"

But, very interesting especially about the trade deals, 75% of businesses think Britain would get a better deal outside of EU.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Eagle is once again threatening to stand against Corbyn, and May seems to be trying to take the right of the party by suggesting immigrants should go

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    And people are roughly balanced on allowing free movement and giving up the single market

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The real Farage has resigned. Shame.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    The real Farage has resigned. Shame.
    It means that Ukip can get a leader that appeals more to the labour voter to let ukip try to grow

Posted from TSR Mobile

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.