Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThisLittlePiggy)
    Oh Goodness, Skyrim is dominating my life! Brilliant game ... not so brilliant for deadlines and in the fight against the Christmas podge.

Belated Merry Christmas you bunch of champions.
    Hahaha. I'l start Skyrim after I finish BF3 and MW3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThisLittlePiggy)
    Oh Goodness, Skyrim is dominating my life! Brilliant game ... not so brilliant for deadlines and in the fight against the Christmas podge.

Belated Merry Christmas you bunch of champions.
    Should I get it?
    I've finished Mass Effect 2 now (yes I know very late) and have little to do at the mo!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philosoraptor)
    Should I get it?
    I've finished Mass Effect 2 now (yes I know very late) and have little to do at the mo!
    You should go back to Mass Effect 1 if you haven't already! I'm a bit obsessed with those games.

ReputationRep:
    Argh the only time I can buy games is when I break up for summer so I can play them guilt free

ReputationRep:
    Just started zelda: ocarina of time on the 3ds. In love with that game all over again.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Hey people.

I'm thinking about getting a stethoscope now rather than later.. in the pretence that I'll do OSCE practice and ****

But yeah anyway, thinking about getting a Littman Classic II but don't really know much about stethoscopes so not sure if that's the one people recommend and then I have no idea where to get it from..

Where did people get theirs from and what did you get?

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Penguinsaysquack)
    Hey people.

I'm thinking about getting a stethoscope now rather than later.. in the pretence that I'll do OSCE practice and ****

But yeah anyway, thinking about getting a Littman Classic II but don't really know much about stethoscopes so not sure if that's the one people recommend and then I have no idea where to get it from..

Cheers
    Yeah almost everyone in my year got that one. I ordered mine online (I think from medisave) cos they offered free laser engraving

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philosoraptor)
    Should I get it?
    It's brilliant. I was expecting not to enjoy it and get bored but I am hooked. It sucks you in with it's vast environment and story telling. It is also good fun working out how to build the sort of character you want.

I'm making a high level battle mage: one handed weapons and destructive spell casting though in my next play through I'm thinking of going all out mage w/ no armour and only pure reliance on magika.

/geek.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Hey people.

Cheers
    Almost all medical students get a Littman Classic II, apart from the odd few who get the Master Classic II Stethoscope.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isometrix)
    Yeah almost everyone in my year got that one. I ordered mine online (I think from medisave) cos they offered free laser engraving

(Original post by carcinoma)
    Almost all medical students get a Littman Classic II, apart from the odd few who get the Master Classic II Stethoscope.
    Cheers you two.

I'll take a look around and having looked at the medisave site will probably go ahead and get it from there :yep:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Cheers you two.

I'll take a look around and having looked at the medisave site will probably go ahead and get it from there :yep:
    The BMA freshers discount was basically only the delivery, as Medisave sell them at £50.33 +£4.95 delivery, BMA had them for £50.

Don't you guys have clinical examinations in your first year, like standalone OSCE stations?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    The BMA freshers discount was basically only the delivery, as Medisave sell them at £50.33 +£4.95 delivery, BMA had them for £50.

Don't you guys have clinical examinations in your first year, like standalone OSCE stations?
    Not much of a discount back then then when loads of people bought them..
    I've decided on the bronze finish with just my name engraved on it

Yeah that's right. So far we've done basic examinations in cardio and respiratory systems. Probably nowhere near as much detail as a proper clinical exam but still something and something that needs to be done so better get some practice in with a stethoscope :erm:

That and hope that end of year OSCE isn't on a woman as no idea what to do if they have breasts!
    Seriously.. how do you feel for the apex of the heart in a woman if she has breasts? It must be awkward :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    That and hope that end of year OSCE isn't on a woman as no idea what to do if they have breasts!
    Seriously.. how do you feel for the apex of the heart in a woman if she has breasts? It must be awkward :dontknow:
    I think you use the back of your hand to push it away rather than grabbing it with your fingers...
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:

Yeah that's right. So far we've done basic examinations in cardio and respiratory systems. Probably nowhere near as much detail as a proper clinical exam but still something and something that needs to be done so better get some practice in with a stethoscope :erm:

I would just ask them to hold it up and out of the way :dontknow:

If you act embarrassed, then they will feel embarrassed. Just act professional :yep:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:

What do you mean by basic cardio and rep exam?, there is not much to them in the first place.

Haha, my end of year OSCE (aka clinical competency) combined exam was on a woman. You just ask for them to lift and hold their bra and breast up on the left hand side, or just ask them to move their bra up slightly on the LHS.

Its not awkward at all in that setting, but to avoid feeling awkward/anxious yourself on the day I would definitely practice on a female.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    I think you use the back of your hand to push it away rather than grabbing it with your fingers...
    We would get assassinated for that, you have to always ask the patient to do it. Although yea that is commonly done.

ReputationRep:
    We would get assassinated for that, you have to always ask the patient to do it.
    Whoops duly noted!

Does that stand even if you ask for their permission and they understand what you're going to do (and with someone else there)?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Whoops duly noted!

Does that stand even if you ask for their permission and they understand what you're going to do (and with someone else there)?
    No, that would be acceptable but it would just be far easier for them to hold it up and out of the way. Leaves you both hands free.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Whoops duly noted!

Why would you need their permission? Surely it's less hassle for everyone if they just do it themselves?

I would much rather move it out the way myself than for anyone else to do it.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I've heard that from some of the women that practiced on each other in clinical skills. Just thought I'd see what you lot do
    (Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx)
    I would just ask them to hold it up and out of the way :dontknow:

If you act embarrassed, then they will feel embarrassed. Just act professional :yep:
    I'll act professional.. or I'll try.

Still ages away until that though so it's alright for now :yep:
    What do you mean by basic cardio and rep exam?, there is not much to them in the first place.

Haha, my end of year OSCE (aka clinical competency) combined exam was on a woman lol. You just ask for them to lift and hold their bra and breast up on the left hand side, or just ask them to move their bra up slightly on the LHS.

Its not awkward at all in that setting, but to avoid feeling awkward/anxious yourself on the day I would definitely practice on a female.
    Well I don't know whether it's in depth or not as all I have is what I've been taught so far.

For cardio, aside from general inspection there's radial pulse + rate, radial-radial comparison. Brachial pulse. BP. JVT. Carotid pulse. Apex of the heart. 4 valve auscultations.

For resp, again gen inspection, looking at use of accessory muscles/diaphragm usage, looking for pectus excavatum/carinatum, cyanosis etc. Vocal crepitus. Expansion of the chest. Percussion. Auscultation.

Think that's all we need to know so far :dontknow:

I'll bear that in mind :yep:
    And I think one of our flatmates has offered for us lads to examine her.. sounds odd I know but she offered so might as well :lol:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.