Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    Wenger is saying Arsenal will be active in the window until the end. But I swear we've been active the last few weeks.

Also anyone notice how Wenger always uses other teams to show that Arsenal are not the only one in a particular situation. In don't really like when he does that - who gives a toss what others are doing?!

Seems like Wenger reluctantly sold Gervinho. I do think it was a mistake selling him. £8m in football today is nothing and as a bench player, Gervinho would have been fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Would you trust Gervinho to come on and change games for us?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jibberish)
    Why do you think that Wenger is hell bent on destroying the club and looking for excuses? Do you not believe he is looking to add to the squad? If even half of the rumours this summer are to be believed then we are looking to do business. Its not always as straightforward and you could criticise Wenger on how he has dealt with transfers (or lack of) this summer. To say though that Wenger is making these statements as an excuse to not sign anyone doesn't seem right. I'm sure he will find the right players by the end of the transfer window..just a matter of time.
    Thing is, with Arsenal it ALWAYS without fail seems to be complicated, United, quietly do their business (under SAF anyway), Chelsea, also very swift, City, blink of the eye they're done.

Us. Well, we penny pinch and allow other clubs to enter the bidding. I really don't think it's that hard to attract a player to a champions league club who have ambition.

The way he goes about things is that we have some kind of title-winning squad where only the very very best will add something. I'm prepared to wait but if he doesn't get the quality players our team need I'm afraid to say it but I shall be turning against Wenger after supporting him throughout.

I do not see how in this world we're going to get the players so late in the window. Clubs don't have time to replace, so they'll either a) demand higher fees (and we know Wenger doesn't overpay, not a penny more) or b) say no.

Thus, we'll end up with a load of good players but not of quality for Arsenal to challenge. We'll get injuries to our key men and these players will come in and alas, we'll finish 5th or 6th.

Don't get me wrong, I'll give it until the dying seconds of the transfer window for things to happen and thoroughly hope I'm wrong. I don't want to be right.

One possible factor may be that we're not in the champions league group stage yet, so several deals may be on hold. This may be why we're not signing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noone29)
    He does that to divert our attention.

Also a back up so he can come along at the end of the transfer window and say 'Chelsea and United have not also strengthened heavily, I think this indicates that there is little value in the transfer market at the moment. I think our squad is very strong and I believe we have the mentality to have a strong season'.
    Perfect. Just to end it he'll say 'overall, I'm happy with the spirit of the players already here'.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Perfect. Just to end it he'll say 'overall, I'm happy with the spirit of the players already here'.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's gonna happen isn't it. It's an all too familiar transfer window for us loyal fans.

I think even the most loyal Wengerites will be starting to question things.
    I just don't get what his direction is, where does he want to take us.

ReputationRep:
    Thing is, with Arsenal it ALWAYS without fail seems to be complicated, United, quietly do their business (under SAF anyway), Chelsea, also very swift, City, blink of the eye they're done.

Us. Well, we penny pinch and allow other clubs to enter the bidding. I really don't think it's that hard to attract a player to a champions league club who have ambition.

The way he goes about things is that we have some kind of title-winning squad where only the very very best will add something. I'm prepared to wait but if he doesn't get the quality players our team need I'm afraid to say it but I shall be turning against Wenger after supporting him throughout.

I do not see how in this world we're going to get the players so late in the window. Clubs don't have time to replace, so they'll either a) demand higher fees (and we know Wenger doesn't overpay, not a penny more) or b) say no.

Thus, we'll end up with a load of good players but not of quality for Arsenal to challenge. We'll get injuries to our key men and these players will come in and alas, we'll finish 5th or 6th.

Don't get me wrong, I'll give it until the dying seconds of the transfer window for things to happen and thoroughly hope I'm wrong. I don't want to be right.

One possible factor may be that we're not in the champions league group stage yet, so several deals may be on hold. This may be why we're not signing.
    Depending on how much you want to believe from the papers, Arsenal's transfers are rarely complicated. The only bid this season that was rejected was Suarez's and all the other links to players was speculation or just strong interest- never an official bid. Arsenal have to be more cautious than City or Chelsea as the club needs to operate in a way that allows them to profit and pay their debts without the help of external benefactors. Granted Wenger has been over-cautious and thats why I said I'm not completely satisfied with the way he has done business this summer but I'm sure he realises that he needs to act soon as well.

You also kind of answered your own concerns about late signings- first we aren't actually playing in the CL and also we can get some of the players currently in the market cheaper on deadline day. I won't be surprised if Wenger goes back in for Rooney by the end of the transfer window..

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps he is happy to wait for the "British Arsenal core" to mature into title contenders.

TBF I think that would be brilliant, but I can see why Arsenal fans want more ostentatious ambitions and more immediate results.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llys)
    Perhaps he is happy to wait for the "British Arsenal core" to mature into title contenders.

TBF I think that would be brilliant, but I can see why Arsenal fans want more ostentatious ambitions and more immediate results.
    And the British core will definitely be successful? There's no guarantees in life. Any Arsenal fan who buys into that is just naive.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's gonna happen isn't it. It's an all too familiar transfer window for us loyal fans.

I think even the most loyal Wengerites will be starting to question things.
    There's little point second guessing Wenger. He might not buy a single player this window or might surprise us all with Suarez and Gustavo. I think only he knows where he wishes to take the club, or at least he thinks he does.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    And the British core will definitely be successful? There's no guarantees in life.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Of course; I was just answering Noone29's question.

ReputationRep:
    You also kind of answered your own concerns about late signings- first we aren't actually playing in the CL and also we can get some of the players currently in the market cheaper on deadline day. I won't be surprised if Wenger goes back in for Rooney by the end of the transfer window..

Thing is, what quality players are on the market? The players on the market atm are players no one else wants - i.e. they're not going to improve us.

We need to be bidding for players who are not on the market but can deliver at top premier league level for not outrageous prices.

The prices of these such players will only increase. Even with Rooney, he'll increase as we get closer to the end, United have more than enough financial clout to use him as a rotational player.

I really should shut up until the end of the window but sometimes it's hard when you love your club and only want the best for them. I don't think Wenger is intent on destroying us but his transfer policy is too 1990s, early 2000s. The game has changed dramatically in the way of fees and wages and the sooner he realises he has to pay to get quality back into this team, the better it is for everyone.

As for delaying, do you remember the Mata deal. We were negotiating for 2 weeks and then Chelsea popped up and dealt in 2 days. That's the difference I'm talking about. Probably Wenger saying, 'can you accept £20,000 less a week?' no doubt..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llys)
    Of course; I was just answering Noone29's question.
    It's just crazy because by the time the British players reach their prime, other teams will have invested millions and billions on players, British or otherwise. Of course it's nice to have players bred in this country but it shouldn't be a condition for success - certainly not wait for it to happen.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Do we have any South Americans in our squad?

ReputationRep:
    It's just crazy because by the time the British players reach their prime, other trams would have invested millions and billions in players, British or not. Of course it's nice to have players bred in this country but it shouldn't be a condition for success - certainly not wait for it to happen.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sure, and of course it's not the reason for Wenger not signing anyone. It just seems that Wenger is a bit of an idealist, so I was thinking, maybe deep down he would like that direction. But he surely will sign players this season, you just need to be patient.

ReputationRep:
    Selling 17 players, that could dominate the championship. That gets rid of your depth.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I just hope we smash villa in 2 days

Want to see

---------------------Szczseny--------------
    Sagna----Koscienly---Metersacker---Gibbs--
    ---------------Wilshere---Arteta----------------
    ---Walcott-----------Cazorla------Oxcube----
    --------------------------Giroud----------------

4-1
    Double from Walcott
    Giroud
    Benteke
    Oxcube

ReputationRep:
    Thing is, what quality players are on the market? The players on the market atm are players no one else wants - i.e. they're not going to improve us.

We need to be bidding for players who are not on the market but can deliver at top premier league level for not outrageous prices.

The prices of these such players will only increase. Even with Rooney, he'll increase as we get closer to the end, United have more than enough financial clout to use him as a rotational player.

I really should shut up until the end of the window but sometimes it's hard when you love your club and only want the best for them. I don't think Wenger is intent on destroying us but his transfer policy is too 1990s, early 2000s. The game has changed dramatically in the way of fees and wages and the sooner he realises he has to pay to get quality back into this team, the better it is for everyone.

As for delaying, do you remember the Mata deal. We were negotiating for 2 weeks and then Chelsea popped up and dealt in 2 days. That's the difference I'm talking about. Probably Wenger saying, 'can you accept £20,000 less a week?' no doubt..
    For every Mata that Wenger has missed out on there has been a Cazorla! Just remember that every time you feel like criticising Wenger for not bringing players like Mata in. I would have loved to see a complete squad before the season starts but since that is not going to happen and I hope Wenger will bring someone like Cazorla who will fit into the team right away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niceguy95)
    I just hope we smash villa in 2 days

Want to see

---------------------Szczseny--------------
    Sagna----Koscienly---Metersacker---Gibbs--
    ---------------Wilshere---Arteta----------------
    ---Walcott-----------Cazorla------Oxcube----
    --------------------------Giroud----------------

4-1
    Double from Walcott
    Giroud
    Benteke
    Oxcube
    no ramsey?

on recent form hes been better then wilshire..

ReputationRep:
    What's this "Oxcube" thing about?

ReputationRep:
    For every Mata that Wenger has missed out on there has been a Cazorla! Just remember that every time you feel like criticising Wenger for not bringing players like Mata in. I would have loved to see a complete squad before the season starts but since that is not going to happen and I hope Wenger will bring someone like Cazorla who will fit into the team right away.
    Hope so too.

What do you think of signing Michu? A reputable source in Spain says we're making an offer for him.

But rumour aside...

He seems like the sort of player Liverpool would sign. I don't think he's champions league/premier league winning quality tbh...

ReputationRep:
    I think it's pretty clear what Wenger's strategy has been this window. He's done a top job at clearing out the deadwood - who would have thought we could rid ourselves of both Squids and Denilson in one window? Gervinho, Chamakh? Now we just need Bendtner to piss off. Given that, Wenger would rather we kept the current squad than buy more future-deadwood players. This is evident from the bids we've made: Bender, Higauin, Suarez, Gustavo. Spurs may be working overtime on their transfers, but tbh, we're (trying) to shop in a different class.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.