The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Beska
I was thinking about this the other day. It has to be the most ridiculous law - I would be willing to bet that 99.99% of places with a license would be shut down if this rule was actually enforced. Bit silly.

Well it's illegal to be drunk in a public place !!! (Licensing Act 1872) - imagine if they actually enforced that :rofl:
Reply 8021
Original post by Philosoraptor
Well it's illegal to be drunk in a public place !!! (Licensing Act 1872) - imagine if they actually enforced that :rofl:

Apparently it's a bylaw in my village that means every boy between 13-18 is required by law to practice archery on the church grounds for an hour every sunday. Haha.
The number one thing i have achieved this first semester, is the ability to spell diarrhoea properly without having to think about it :tongue:
Original post by Beska
Apparently it's a bylaw in my village that means every boy between 13-18 is required by law to practice archery on the church grounds for an hour every sunday. Haha.

I thought this was the law for every boy/man in the country?

Ah you have got to love the old defunct laws. Check out some of them from the USA, they are even funnier; example: In Illinois, it is illegal for anyone to give lighted cigars to dogs, cats, and other domesticated animal kept as pets. :rofl:
Reply 8024
Original post by rumandraisin
I thought this was the law for every boy/man in the country?

Ah you have got to love the old defunct laws. Check out some of them from the USA, they are even funnier; example: In Illinois, it is illegal for anyone to give lighted cigars to dogs, cats, and other domesticated animal kept as pets. :rofl:

Is it? Oh, in which case that's even more ridiculous...!

Why don't they just scrap them?
I hate neuro and we have barely even started it :tongue: Does anyone know of any good books that would help with the basics/neuro in general? Thank you!
Reply 8026
Original post by Helenia
Happy birthday! Have a good day :smile:

If I'd done a shorter course and not had a gap year (and actually got a training job...) I'd be a reg by now :s:

I could be an ST/CT2. Damn that gap year, that foundation year, that intercalated year...

I was older than all of my SHO's on my last job.

26 isn't old. 27 definitely isn't old.
Original post by billet-doux
I hate neuro and we have barely even started it :tongue: Does anyone know of any good books that would help with the basics/neuro in general? Thank you!

Fitzgerald's Clinical Neuroanatomy and Neuroscience often gives good explanations and has some really excellent diagrams. It's pretty detailed too in certain areas. Comfortably enough detail for my course, but I don't know how much is necessary at more science-heavy universities.
Any good online physiology references? Particularly cardiac? Library is closed tomorrow, and the books I thought would be useful for my work aren't :cry2:
Original post by Helenia
Tbh, when you're 80 (as most patients are), there's not much difference between a 22 and a 26 year old. And half of them will think you're a nurse anyway.

I graduated at 25, it's really not that old you know!

I'll be 22 when I start work.
Original post by Becca-Sarah
I did read an interesting argument that if you wish to pay for private (medically unnecessary) surgery, you should also have to pay for private medical insurance to cover the complications of that surgery, such as removal. In the case of implants after mastectomy, then the NHS should certainly be doing the removal/replacement, but it isn't their place to fix botched private procedures. The company is bankrupt so there's no chance of reclaiming the costs. Apparently Nuffield hospitals are going to pay for removal for patients who had implants done with them, which sounds like the fairest option for the meantime.

I applaud Nuffield for being such massive lads. I still think we ought to help these ladies if they are in pain and suffering over these implants. Removal but not replacement.

Also regarding insurance, I just see it as a private venture that went wrong , as can anything - biking, climbing, foreign travel , and that as tax payers we should throw 'em a bone.
Original post by Sarky
I could be an ST/CT2. Damn that gap year, that foundation year, that intercalated year...

I was older than all of my SHO's on my last job.

26 isn't old. 27 definitely isn't old.

What's the difference between CT and ST? I used to be quite clued up on speciality training programmes but am pretty clueless about CT stuff and everything seems to be changing for applications in 2012 :s-smilie:
Original post by crazylemon
See I never get that, and doctors mistake me for an SHO and at one point a Reg (!)
I don't think I look old either...

I would bet you a drink of your choice that you will never get mistaken for a nurse by a patient.

I've been mistaken for almost every grade by other clinical staff, but still get asked "when am I going to see the doctor?" after spending half an hour sorting a patient out.
Original post by rumandraisin
The number one thing i have achieved this first semester, is the ability to spell diarrhoea properly without having to think about it :tongue:

Diarrhoea

Spelt - Dia, Rush Rush, Hurry Or Exploding Arse.

Simples :smile:
Original post by Helenia
I would bet you a drink of your choice that you will never get mistaken for a nurse by a patient.

I've been mistaken for almost every grade by other clinical staff, but still get asked "when am I going to see the doctor?" after spending half an hour sorting a patient out.

Had this with a lady consultant in clinic. Slightly awkward. Pt was a centurian though, completly with it otherwise.
Original post by Wangers
Diarrhoea

Spelt - Dia, Rush Rush, Hurry Or Exploding Arse.

Simples :smile:

Haha this is brilliant. Never ever going to forget it now :yy:
Reply 8036
Original post by Supermassive_muse_fan
What's the difference between CT and ST? I used to be quite clued up on speciality training programmes but am pretty clueless about CT stuff and everything seems to be changing for applications in 2012 :s-smilie:
CTs are in Core Training - Core Medical, Core Surgical or ACCS. STs are in Speciality Training, either run-through like Paeds or sub-speciality in Higher Surgical Training, Higher Medical Training etc.
OMG EXAMS. Think I'm finally catching onto that keeno med student vibe.
Original post by carcinoma
Haha, Ill be 25 when I graduate! Woop

:ditto: Just...

Today I found out I passed my exams...just

Latest

Trending

Trending