Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    When you consider that we watched Remy, Balotelli, Mandzukic slip through our fingers and ended up with Danny Welbeck on deadline day...Wenger's had an absolute shocker here. He rarely played up front for Utd so we'll have to see how that goes, he probably has the potential to be a 20 goal a season striker in the long term but you cant really see him hitting the ground running can you?

Funnily enough £16m is probably not excessive given his Englishness and PL experience. Still, Remy at £10m would have been so much better.

We're also taking a big risk wrt having 3 CBs...

We havent a hope at the title, I think we can get 3rd, make the CL SFs with good draws and maybe get the cup again. In reality, we'll probably just get 4th, mess up the CL group and go out to PSG in the round of 16...getting sick of that, it's killing the prestige of the club.
    Yeah agree here.

I was thinking at best CL quarters, 3rd and trophy but more likely than not it's 4th and R16 exit and being trophyless. Welbeck will do well for you guys I believe in him. How well remains to be seen but I see him as a 1 in 2 player, add to that good link up play and actual pace and I think you have an improvement in your attacking play.

My only problem is that he'll be under intense scrutiny early on, while with e.g. Sturridge at Liverpool he was given a chance. Would have been good to ease Welbeck in but it's pretty clear that he's playing from day 1. Was Wenger actually being serious here and really going to let Sanogo play till January as backup?

Anyway at least this spells the end for Giroud.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kruz)
    I was waiting for you to post, since you are the biggest pro-Wenger person on here. Are you still Pro-Wenger? This is mis-management at the highest order, I even heard on Twitter some of our board members are frustrated at Wenger not being able to make a decision on players he wants.
    Yes I always will be. I'm fully aware that on balance, we could find a manager who'd actually have us challenging for the title but I'm basically willing to let Wenger have his last 3 seasons anyway. Stubborn old man that he is, he's earned that.

I'm really very annoyed at the quality of player we're signing in general though. For every Alexis, there are 3 of Welbeck, Debuchy and Sanogo it seems. But it doesnt need to be this way. Loic Remy, Mandzukic etc were absolute no brainers in comparison, what exactly goes though Arsene's head in these moments? I think he gets a kick from working with projects like Sanogo rather than just going out and doing the no-nonsense simple transfers.

Welbeck is not bad as a squad player but he's our no.9 now and that's shocking when you think City, Chelsea, Liverpool have at least 2 strikers better each.

On the other hand, we actually have some hard working forward players now. Welbeck and Sanchez will run themselves into the ground and play for the team so that should serve us well in big games. Ferguson certainly loved Welbeck as well for that reason.

(Original post by jam278)
    Yeah agree here.

I was thinking at best CL quarters, 3rd and trophy but more likely than not it's 4th and R16 exit and being trophyless. Welbeck will do well for you guys I believe in him. How well remains to be seen but I see him as a 1 in 2 player, add to that good link up play and actual pace and I think you have an improvement in your attacking play.

My only problem is that he'll be under intense scrutiny early on, while with e.g. Sturridge at Liverpool he was given a chance. Would have been good to ease Welbeck in but it's pretty clear that he's playing from day 1. Was Wenger actually being serious here and really going to let Sanogo play till January as backup?

Anyway at least this spells the end for Giroud.
    Yeah who am I kidding. Even if we did Dortmund 3-0 at their gaff in 2 weeks, we'd end up drawing 3-3 with Anderlecht at home to then draw Juventus in the r.o16. Depressingly predictable. I'm thirsty as **** for a CL run though, just to get them feels of knocking out big european teams again like we havent done in 5 years.

Welbeck is a player I have often derided myself, and he is far from the most composed. But there are clear comparisons with Sturridge in being played out of position and never really enjoying the full trust. I love his work rate, and think his pace and movement is top notch but I wouldnt properly fancy him to finish any 1 on 1s that come his way as yet. And as a striker that's your bread and butter. He needs to find composure to be good enough for us. Personally I would prefer Giroud if both are fit.

If he flops then we can easily just flog him to a mid table team for £13m+ anyway so not huge financial risk.

At least Sanogo is done though. Never seen a worse striker at a top 4 club.

In big away games, we can set up with Welbz, Sanchez and Walcott as the front 3 and that's comforting at least. Can see us nicking some nice results with that.

ReputationRep:
    What Wenger has done is make a seemingly average team qualify for the CL every season for the past 7 or 8 seasons. Has any other manager done that before?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    What Wenger has done is make a seemingly average team qualify for the CL every season for the past 7 or 8 seasons. Has any other manager done that before?
    Agree that this is a real achievement, and the revenues and his general ability to work on a budget has brought this club onto another level. Problem is that once in the CL we routinely find ourselves making mountains out of mole-hills and finding ridiculous ways to finish below the likes of Schalke.

Just for once, I'd like Wenger to just to the easy thing and just set up for draws against BVB and then hammer the dross home and away. Nice easy draw in the ro16, bit of momentum and then we can actually have a proper CL campaign to put the club back on the map.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Agree that this is a real achievement, and the revenues and his general ability to work on a budget has brought this club onto another level. Problem is that once in the CL we routinely find ourselves making mountains out of mole-hills and finding ridiculous ways to finish below the likes of Schalke.

Just for once, I'd like Wenger to just to the easy thing and just set up for draws against BVB and then hammer the dross home and away. Nice easy draw in the ro16, bit of momentum and then we can actually have a proper CL campaign to put the club back on the map.
    That's essentially what I was saying last year.

Honestly think you need a new DM, a new CB and a new manager and you'll be challenging for the top trophies.

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping Welbeck does well for you guys. Honestly thought you'd have gone for Chicarito if you were to raid United's strike force, but there you go!

He'll do good for you. He'd got strength and pace and he CAN score goals when he's played in position.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lyrical Prodigy)
    Lampard to City
    Welbeck to Arsenal
    Fabregas to Chelsea
    Balotelli to Liverpool

Who could have guessed at the start of this window.
    Sounds like Football Manager esque transfers.. so weird and out of order.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    I'm hoping Welbeck does well for you guys. Honestly thought you'd have gone for Chicarito if you were to raid United's strike force, but there you go!

He'll do good for you. He'd got strength and pace and he CAN score goals when he's played in position.
    1 year ago, I would have taken hernandez over welbeck any day of the week..

But he seems to have regressed/stagnated to be honest, and recently I just have not been impressed with him at all.

I used to love him when in the SAF days you could be sure that if he was on for the last 20 minutes of a game, the other team was in trouble.. watching him get late winners was amazing..

But these days, I would not want him at arsenal, well, id take him as a squad player - but as you guys know he is not a great starter, and not good playing alone upfront

ReputationRep:
    Welbeck being permanent probably means no star striker signing next season either, laughable.

Even SSN are taking the piss with their polls.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest)
    Even SSN are taking the piss with their polls.
    How so?

This transfer is so depressing.

ReputationRep:
    Rabiot didn't go to Roma in the end, think Arsene will pick him up on a free next season?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RtGOAT)
    How so?

This transfer is so depressing.
    POLL: Which of these was the best deadline day signing? Use #ssnhqfalcao or #ssnhqwelbeck
    Personally don't mind Welbeck as a player despite his limitations in front of goal he's quite useful in some ways and if he was our only option since the start of the window then I would have accepted the signing, but when so many Strikers move in a this window and we have to go for a tier or two below what we need is just disgraceful.

I'll also never believe what Wenger has to say wrt transfers again, he's good at poker but he's playing the low stakes game when we got the cash to match the high rollers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peggles_*)
    Rabiot didn't go to Roma in the end, think Arsene will pick him up on a free next season?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah reckon we will be in for him, good talent and if we can get him on a free then its sweet but as 419 said if we had got him this summer he wouldn't have solved our problems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest)
    Yeah reckon we will be in for him, good talent and if we can get him on a free then its sweet but as 419 said if we had got him this summer he wouldn't have solved our problems.
    why bother getting your hopes up? AW clearly thinks Arteta is the best DM in the world. It's getting to the point where I am starting to question his commitment to this club. Does he actually care anymore? I wish he had just retired after the FA Cup win, left on a high so that someone less blinkered by his own ego could come in and build on the great foundation he left us, in other words do what AW seems so incapable of doing: Addressing the issues with this team and turn us into the champions we are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Complex Simplicity)
    why bother getting your hopes up? AW clearly thinks Arteta is the best DM in the world. It's getting to the point where I am starting to question his commitment to this club. Does he actually care anymore? I wish he had just retired after the FA Cup win, left on a high so that someone less blinkered by his own ego could come in and build on the great foundation he left us, in other words do what AW seems so incapable of doing: Addressing the issues with this team and turn us into the champions we are.
    Artetas last year of his contract. We'll get a replacement next year but knowing our luck it won't be Rabiot.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    Artetas last year of his contract. We'll get a replacement next year but knowing our luck it won't be Rabiot.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Should have been Carvalho this time but Arsene was haggling over £3m and we lost out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Should have been Carvalho this time but Arsene was haggling over £3m and we lost out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I know I mentioned it a few times. Ffs what an absolute ********

We could have 500m in the bank and you know Wenger will still be haggling at Lidl

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Complex Simplicity)
    I'm not bothered if we don't get him, he's a talent but not really a needed one when we have Ramsey and Wilshere and even Ox if thats where Wenger wants him to play. I agree with Wenger on this one though, the price deffo did get a bit high (reported fees of over 10mil) for a player that hasn't proven himself and a player that we don't desperately need.

He doesn't, he's just stingy, we were in for DMs this summer (Carvalho/Bender/Martinez) and last but he will only go for them if they are at the right price and would rather not get a player than pay an extra 5mil more than he bid, but i'm 100% that Wenger does want to get these calibre of players in theory. Wenger would rather prove everyone wrong than do whats right for the team to compete atm which is sad to see, in fact I wouldn't be against Wenger leaving if he delegated more within the club so we can become more efficient.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely gutted that we've let Welbeck go. I can't believe it, it's staggeringly incompetent after Wenger strung us along with Vermaelen. I suppose the player made it clear that he would only move to Arsenal and Van Gaal wanted rid. It's really sad that a local lad from our academy, who said playing for United was all he ever wanted when he signed his contract, has been forced out of the club.

Wenger will turn him into a top class forward, quote me on that.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    would be a very wenger thing to do..

Though id like to have him in january - give him half a season to bed in, and then he can replace arteta from next season onwards..

(if he is the player that fills that role)

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: September 22, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.